Sun vs. pearl

ILCruzr

I am looking at booking my first Norwegian cruise this may and can't decide between the sun or the pearl? I have only really sailed carnival but am itching to try another line and I am very intrigued in the California coastal cruises. I can't decide on the 5 day or 6 day itinerary. The 5 day is the Pearl and it sounds like its a better ship than the sun, but on the 6 day sun they stop in Astoria, Oregon and I really wanna go there. But is the sun a not as good ship? What would you all choose? I'd like the 6 day but I really wanna try to the pearl. Help!

What criteria do you use to determine a "good ship" or "better ship". Newer? Bigger? More bells and whistles?

I have been on 3 NCL ships, Dawn, Sun and Jewel, which is the sister ship to the Pearl. The Sun is my favorite. I like smaller, I like the forward observation deck and I like the Sports bar and Il Adagio, all on the Sun. Both Sun and Pearl have Great Outdoors.

I do love my aft PH on the Sun. Best ever. Booked Sun for a three-peat. But will do Jewel again in 2015 out of my home state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Two different ships, totally different in design. The Sun is the smaller of the two. However, love them both. Have done 5 Pearl cruises and 3rd Sun cruise coming up soon. You can't go wrong with either ship. Both have slight advantages over the other in different areas.

Well the pearl is newer than the sun, and there's stuff on the pearl like climbing wall and more complimentary dining w options. Although i am going to do the teppenyaki. Just trying to figure out which ship is better for a first time Norwegian cruiser.

Two different ships, totally different in design. The Sun is the smaller of the two. However, love them both. Have done 5 Pearl cruises and 3rd Sun cruise coming up soon. You can't go wrong with either ship. Both have slight advantages over the other in different areas.

Tell me what they are? I am leaning toward the pearl but I so wanna go to Oregon! So it makes it harder. The ship or a port

This may tip it for you, since you are leaning to the Pearl. If you like the newer, glitzier ships, she is the one for you. I prefer the Sun, she is a classic!

However, it is not uncommon for them to skip Astoria due to wind or weather. That's what happened to us on our last coastal cruise.

Me, personally? I would go with the Sun and the extra day, even if it just turns out to be a sea day!:D

Tell me what they are? I am leaning toward the pearl but I so wanna go to Oregon! So it makes it harder. The ship or a port

Pearl slightly bigger. Sun design is a bit confusing for a while, hard to find things. Pearl has one of the fleet's better buffet lay outs. Both have a Great Outdoors grill and eating area and a Spinnaker lounge. Sun balcony rooms slightly bigger and actual balconies slightly bigger, but bathroom, while very functional, slightly smaller. For an NCL starter, if port stops didn't matter, I'd try Pearl first.

I've been on both and I woundn't say the Pearl is "better". The Pearl is newer, a little bigger, has a rock wall and bowling alley. What would you rather have, the extra day and stop in Orgeon or the newer, bigger, rock wall & bowling alley.

Both ships are great. I like the Sun, and getting ready for my 2nd cruise on her, however if all things were equal (itinary & price) I'd probably do the Pearl just because I like a little bigger.

if a newer and bigger ship is important to you, go with the Pearl, but you have to decide is the ship your destination or do you prefer the itinerary on the Sun. since it will be your first time, and you most likely want a positive impression with NCL, go with the Pearl.

Been on both more than a couple times. If a nice spa matters to you pick the Pearl. The Sun has no spa to speak of, just a tiny wet and dry sauna that are free. The Pearl spa is very large with lots to do. It does cost money though.

Also the Sun buffet is small with limited selections. Having said that I prefer the Sun to the Pearl. Feels a little quirky but I like the smaller ship feel.

Have been on both ships and love them both. The Pearl is newer but I really like the size and the crew on the Sun. She is older but very well maintained. Have done 23 three nights on her on two very unique, wonderful itineraries - South America and the Baltic.

Archived