Royal Caribbean tours Vs private tours

rissole_1986

We do a combination of ship tours, private tours and touring on our own.

When booking a ship tour we try to find one that will only take a limited number of people. Since we have been to the same places many times we look for unusual tours.

One fun tour we did was a Mexican Cooking Class in Cozumel. This was a RC tour. It was a blast.

Who told you that they will leave you if not on a RC tour?

Ive read posts before. Ive actually heard it on board too, not saying they wouldnt wait for you. But if you are on a ship tour and they know you and 8 other peple are out there on the same tour they are more likely to wait for you..

So take it whats its worth not here to argue :)

And all you need is for someone to hijack a Cruise sponsored tour for it to be a vacation killer. Read http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/15/cruise-line-scams-shore-excursions/ regarding what happened in 2009 in the Bahamas and St Kitts. Swings and roundabouts. Whilst the cruise line will guarantee your return, the can't guarantee your safety.

We were on the cruise to st. kitts when this happened... we actually were going to be on that tour until we made a last minute decision before leaving to book a private tour with a few other friends.. you just never know anything can happen either way.

We usually do private tours on our own but still on occasion, we will still book through the ship..... just do your research and check things out, give yourself PLENTY of time to return to the ship and use common sense and you'll be fine..

But there is no black/white rule that a ship leaves or waits depending on who the excursion is book through.

The difference is if you book with RCI and if they DO leave you, it is THEIR responsiblity and on THEIR dime to get you to the next port or home.

Which in some cases could run very expensive.

Thats the peace of mind some people think is very much worth paying a little extra for.

The difference is if you book with RCI and if they DO leave you, it is THEIR responsiblity and on THEIR dime to get you to the next port or home.

Thats the peace of mind some people think is very much worth paying a little extra for.

Totally agree. Such factors as the port visiting, the amount of time in port, the distance I am traveling from port are all deciding factors on whether or not we book a ship sponsored tour or go out on our own.

And I never ever cut it close getting back to the ship. We get back early and browse around the port area.

For all the reasons mentioned, I definitely prefer private excursions. If the choice were ship's excursions or nothing, I would opt for a different vacation.

As for Tulum (and other excursions that require lengthy transport or multiple forms of transportation), I'd say that not all activities are well suited to short cruise stops. The ruins are well worth seeing, but save them for a land based vacation.

Don't cut your time too closely, but don't be paranoid about getting back to the ship. Do your homework and book only with vendors who have a good reputation on this board. Understand ship's time vs island time. Having read these boards for more than a decade, I've not heard of a person missing the ship because of a private vendor yet. Also, don't be so sure that you're completely safe with a ship's excursion: they promise to get you back to the dock . . . But most of the people who are left are actually IN the port area, but they've decided to hang around just five more minutes shopping or drinking cheap beer before reboarding. If the ship's excursion is back, they assume you've had the good sense to go ahead and board. Just pay attention, and you're going to be fine.

I've taken lots of excursions of both kinds. I honestly can't say one has been better than the other. Most were very good, but a few were disappointing.

I usually decide what kind of excursion to take based on where I want to go, the recommendations of others, time in port, how far the excursion will go, etc. For example, on our cruise next month we're taking one private excursion and one with the ship. Just follow your heart.

I have to disagree with the majority of the people posting. We are going on our 19th & 20th cruises the majority of which are with RCCL, and we've always chosen a ship's sponsored tour. Yes, they are slightly higher in price, but, (maybe, it's because of our age) we always felt more comfortable with that type of tour. If something happens during a ship's sponsored tour(accident, breakdown, traffic, etc). The ship will wait for you. Not so with a private tour. You're on your own... Just my opinion.

I think if a person feels more comfortable on a ship tour, he/she should do that. No argument there. But if you feel comfortable branching out, let me emphasize that there is more to be considered than price. On a private tour you see MUCH MORE than on a ship tour in a big bus.

I wonder if I would be exaggerating by saying FOUR TIMES more? When we did our private tour in Russia, there was no comparison.

Of course, there is a big difference when we are talking about a private tour in the Caribbean and one in a European capital.

I continue to do both.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

That's the peace of mind some people think is very much worth paying a little extra for.

One example.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/stranded-passengers-san-juan-royal-caribbean-hurricane-irene/416548/1

That didn't have anything to do with excursions!

I generally book ship sponsored which I don't really have a problem with how many people are on the the excursion, etc. I have done Private also because of enough people on here having used that vendor and recommended them. My upcoming cruise I am doing all ship sponored but my cruise for next year I have a private tour in mind for one of the stops once again based on what i have read on here. I would not do a private tour based on a hand full of people recommending it, but when I read lots and lots of recommendations then my gut is that it should be alright. When I do a private I ensure that the ending time is well before (2 or 3 hours) before it is time for the ship to depart.

It has not been my experience that private tours are less expensive than ship booked tours. Certainly there are private tours that cost less, but the unwary will also find operators more than willing to take advantage of visitors.

I generally book excursions through the ship that will take me some distance from the port or which include waterborne transportation. I will often use the cruise terminal taxi stand for local sightseeing. Usually these vehicles are well regulated and the drivers know and help each other out if difficulties arise.

One thing I've seen often reported on these boards is difficulties with pre-paid private tours and delayed ship arrival times or even missed ports. If booking privately and pre-paying make sure the refund policy is well understood.

A tram tour of Falmouth is available from the cruise terminal, if memory serves it's in the US$ 12-15 range. It gives you a nice peek at local history through the towns architecture. Another popular excursion is Dunns River Falls, I'd book that through the ship as it is some distance from Falmouth.

Not much in Cozumel but beaches. Some decent snorkeling though - watch out for the Margaritas on the way back to shore.

Labadee is owned and operated by Royal Caribbean, no choice but to book through the ship. If you like zip lines the one at Labadee is supposed to be good.

We don't do the beaches and more into the culture, people & countryside of a port, so stay with ship tours, but the main thing I look at when booking our tours, is the time we are in Port vs the length of the tour. We never go over a 4 hour tour leaving us time to walk around the Port city for an hour or two then leisurely walking back and being on board 2 hours before sailing.

Aren't you going to Grand Cayman also?

After 20 years and 12 cruises we finally did a private tour last year, we used fat fish adventures in Grand Cayman. It was great and no similar tour was available through RCCL.

We will do more private tours in the future.

I too worry about missing ship, but as long as tour ends well before departure it's hard to go wrong. I'd certainly sign up for morning tour if you go private

I feel like the cruise lines say things to discourage passengers from going on their own or getting outside excursion. The most common is that the ship will not wait if you aren't on a ship sponsored excursion.

During our cruise in the Mediterranean one of my teenagers was so anxious about missing the ship he made it miserable for all of us. I think the counselors in the teen club put that in his head. My son was worried to death that we wouldn't make it back. He tried to rush us through the Vatican and we finally decided to cancel trying to go to the Colosseum. I had to tell him that I'd been waiting my whole life to see the Sistine chapel to get him to shut up for a while but once we saw it he started right back up.

We tried to reassure him that even if we missed the ship we could take a train and meet it at the next port. We told him if the trains weren't running we would hire a car. We told him we would fly home as a last resort. I felt sorry for him because he was so intimidated by the language barrier and the currency etc. He relaxed and had a good time on the ship but Florence and Rome make him very anxious.

Obviously we arrived back at the ship 3 hours ahead of time. He calmed down in Naples.

I'd suggest going to the port-of-call section of this website and asking for recommendations on tours. We also much prefer private tours/private drivers.

Someone suggested caution in taking the ferry to Cancun on your own. I agree would would book this one through the ship to be certain of getting back on time. Here's another vote for Nachi Cocum in Cozumel ... it's a fabulous, relaxing day on the beach with really wonderful Mexican food. Because of the extreme poverty in both Haiti and Jamaica, I'd play it safe and book through the ship. Having said that we did take the grandkids to Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios. However, I read lots of reviews and knew the bus would pick us up and that it was a short 10 minute ride to the resort. The ship was within sight the entire time.

Aren't you going to Grand Cayman also?

After 20 years and 12 cruises we finally did a private tour last year, we used fat fish adventures in Grand Cayman. It was great and no similar tour was available through RCCL.

We will do more private tours in the future.

I too worry about missing ship, but as long as tour ends well before departure it's hard to go wrong. I'd certainly sign up for morning tour if you go private

Allure & Oasis does not tender in Grand Cayman.

I'd suggest going to the port-of-call section of this website and asking for recommendations on tours. We also much prefer private tours/private drivers.

Someone suggested caution in taking the ferry to Cancun on your own. I agree would would book this one through the ship to be certain of getting back on time. Here's another vote for Nachi Cocum in Cozumel ... it's a fabulous, relaxing day on the beach with really wonderful Mexican food. Because of the extreme poverty in both Haiti and Jamaica, I'd play it safe and book through the ship. Having said that we did take the grandkids to Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios. However, I read lots of reviews and knew the bus would pick us up and that it was a short 10 minute ride to the resort. The ship was within sight the entire time.

What does poverty have to do with anything as far as booking an excursion through the ship or private?? Labadee Hati is RCI's private area and the things to do there can only be booked through the ship.

Archived