Just an Observation!

luvscruising2007

I don't mean to be snarky but I do have a question.

On many threads posters will say they don't pay attention to what others wear. Yet, when people ask about formal night, many will post statistics of how many tuxes or long gowns that will be worn. This just seems so inconsistent to me.

I kind of agree that it's unlikely that most of us don't notice, at all, what people wear. I do notice, but mostly only those who are exceptionally nicely dressed, or the few who are just off the wall underdressed, overdressed, grungy, etc.

What I think people mean is that (normally) though they notice, they don't particularly care what others are wearing and are tolerant, to a degree, of differing styles. I don't go around counting how many tuxes, but do have a general idea just from being in the dining room on formal nights.

Since most people dress within the norm, they don't stand out. Only extremes really stand out.

I kind of agree that it's unlikely that most of us don't notice, at all, what people wear. I do notice, but mostly only those who are exceptionally nicely dressed, or the few who are just off the wall underdressed, overdressed, grungy, etc.

What I think people mean is that (normally) though they notice, they don't particularly care what others are wearing and are tolerant, to a degree, of differing styles. I don't go around counting how many tuxes, but do have a general idea just from being in the dining room on formal nights.

Since most people dress within the norm, they don't stand out. Only extremes really stand out.

I agree! I definitely notice those who are either underdressed or dressed in poorly fitted clothing or clothing that accentuates flaws, or who are overdressed, or who just wear their clothing beautifully. It's difficult not to notice someone who is wearing a stunning outfit or someone who just looks terrible, regardless of whether they fit the dress code or not. (Something I always notice and shake my head at are women who need a bra but for whatever reason aren't wearing one--especially under beautiful dresses that would be lovely if the girls were in the right place instead of reaching towards the naval.)

Like you, I can also by taking a quick glance around come up with an idea of the percentage of people dressed to the nines, simply following the dress code, or underdressed.

People-watching is one of my favorite cruise activities. I do care what people are wearing only because it's fun to check out the clothes and the shoes...especially the shoes! It doesn't ruin my cruise if someone looks like a train wreck, but it does provide for some interesting sight-seeing. :)

I truly don't notice what people wear, unless parts that should be covered are not. I could never guess how many people wore formals etc. on any cruise I was on. I never notice shoes. I guess most people had shoes on during dinner but they could have all been barefoot for all I would notice. I think it is because the food at dinner interests me much more then the people. When we are out I will notice if there is a lizard on a wall or a bird in a tree, the people around me not so much.

I always notice. But then part of the reason that I frequent this board is because I like fashion and clothes and always notice what people wear.

I am by no means one of the best dressed on a ship. But I strive to always look my best.

I definitely notice those who always look exceptional as well as those who seem to put no effort whatsoever into what they wear. I try to log both looks in my head. The looks of those who look great register as a look I might desire to achieve. The other end of the spectrum often finds me poking my husband in the ribs and telling him that if I ever look like that not to let me leave the house (or the room if on vacation).

I'm also one who loves going to our formal holiday party and seeing all the women in their beautiful clothes and the men in their tuxes. I also love costume parties at Halloween and being part of a group of adults that choose to wear costumes. I like seeing the attention to detail in the costume and enjoying everyone's imagination.

I miss the days where everyone dressed for dinner and stayed dressed for the evening. It made for some wonderful people watching moments and truly made us feel like we were on a special vacation.

I've said it before on here, but I think most everyone notices. They may not care or it might not stick in their minds, but they notice.

I'm a people watcher, also. I love to look at what people are wearing whether I'm walking through the mall, in an airport, or on a cruise ship.

Personally, I like to people watch so I notice. I just am not bothered by attire if the person seems to have made some effort to look nice. Extremes like gowns/tuxes and housedresses/pirate costumes tend to stick in my mind more.

I don't really consider anybody else when I pick out my clothes and I'm sure I'm overdressed, but I enjoy it so that's fine with me. I'm typically more concerned with not being underdressed.

I notice the broad picture, not the specifics -- I'll notice a percentage of how many tuxes are in a room, for instance, but not specifically notice the who is wearing what. I can say "about a quarter of the women were in long gowns" and still not really pay attention to what an individual woman is wearing. Occasionally, of course, an individual will grab my attention, but I usually forget that pretty quickly after I've seen it (like a beautiful picture - I say "wow, that's beautiful" "what a great outfit", and then I'm moving on to something else).

Taken over 20 cruises and only a few outfits stand out in memory-- A beautiful marroon & white gown, a gal up in the buffet whose hair was dyed to match her brown & cream zebra patent leather purse (don't know if it was intentional) and ..............................

only two. I do remember looking over the crowds and seeing how many men were wearing ties.

I have no idea how people come up with percentages. Most ships have 2 seatings with people dressed in every conceivable interpretation of "formal" that can be thought up.

I do pay attention, I'm a people watcher too. But my field of choices is limited, we haven't been going to the dining room for formal night in a while. When we have gone in the past, we tend to go straight to the dining room and bypass the photo lines or the crowded lounges and atriums. Therefore, the people we do happen to see is a small number of pax who happen to walk by our table.

I generally only take notice of the eye catching...beautiful...or ridiculous looking (to me). Everyone else sort of blends in to the crowd.

The last couple I noticed and remembered? She had on an evening gown that was about a foot too long, so she had to hold it up as she walked. Plus, the sleeves were so long she struggled to keep them out of her food (they were seated at the next table). Her mate had an equally ill fitting suit and horrible hair, stringy and dirty looking. I might not have paid as much attention to them had she not physically pushed my husband out of the way while we were waiting to be seated. Her comment was "I've already been seated so I need to get by", we would have let her pass if she had stated this prior to the push. I probably would have only given her a passing glance except that she was so rude.

I will now think of this couple when people ask the question "can I get by with wearing...?" :D

People notice evening gowns because there are so few worn and they stand out. Unless someone has on an outrageous outfit or is showing a lot of skin, I don't pay attention to anyone. When on a cruise, I would rather spend my time looking around the ship. I don't care what people are wearing. With thousands of people on a ship, you could wear the same outfit every day and no one would notice.

People notice evening gowns because there are so few worn and they stand out. Unless someone has on an outrageous outfit or is showing a lot of skin, I don't pay attention to anyone. When on a cruise, I would rather spend my time looking around the ship. I don't care what people are wearing. With thousands of people on a ship, you could wear the same outfit every day and no one would notice.

I notice other outfits when they are particularly stunning on the person wearing them. I still remember a "dressy casual" outfit that one woman was wearing on my cruise last year because she wore it with such grace and style and it was extraordinarily becoming on her. It wasn't a bright color and she wasn't a supermodel, but the outfit suited her perfectly and was simply unforgettable.

I agree with so many others. What most people are wearing is noticed but not seen. There was an amazing woman on several of our cruises. She was 95 ( she told me) travelled the world alone and dressed every single evening in gorgeous gowns and tea length formals. She was regal looking. She loved to dance and was surprisingly limber.

Another who stood out wore very strange custom made hats and changed them 2 or 3 times a day. She had a hot dog, a hamburger, a cup of coffee and other assorted oddments. We actually took some pix of them. Very eccentric.

Oh! And there is a couple who also take long cruises so we've seen them a few times. She carries a teddy bear dressed to match whatever she was wearing. Casual or formal. The bear was carried at all times.

OP here. What prompted my original post was seeing another post stating that only 10% of the men aboard wore tuxes on formal night. On our last cruise, our MDR table of 8 people, 2 of the 4 men wore tuxes. So, I could post consistently that I believe 50% wear tuxes. If you add the number of dark suits, it would be 100%.

Sometimes I think posters who give these low statistics have an agenda and are trying to rid the cruise lines of "formal" nights.

OP here. What prompted my original post was seeing another post stating that only 10% of the men aboard wore tuxes on formal night. On our last cruise, our MDR table of 8 people, 2 of the 4 men wore tuxes. So, I could post consistently that I believe 50% wear tuxes. If you add the number of dark suits, it would be 100%.

Are you telling me that you didn't see any men other than the 4 at your table? You never looked around the room, noticed the table next to you, or saw men in the stream of people entering or leaving the same time you did? THAT'S how people say "oh about 10%" or "maybe a quarter" of the people they saw were wearing tuxes, or had red hair, or were wearing floor-length gowns, etc. Yes, you certainly could say that 50% of the men you saw at dinner were wearing tuxes, but it seems that it wouldn't be honest unless you really didn't see anyone other than those 4 men.

Of course, you could lie and say it regardless. Who here would know?

Are you telling me that you didn't see any men other than the 4 at your table? You never looked around the room, noticed the table next to you, or saw men in the stream of people entering or leaving the same time you did? THAT'S how people say "oh about 10%" or "maybe a quarter" of the people they saw were wearing tuxes, or had red hair, or were wearing floor-length gowns, etc. Yes, you certainly could say that 50% of the men you saw at dinner were wearing tuxes, but it seems that it wouldn't be honest unless you really didn't see anyone other than those 4 men.

Of course, you could lie and say it regardless. Who here would know?

Actually at the time I might have noticed but it wasn't something I committed to memory. And, in a way, you have proved my point. The percentages that people quote are only their perception. It is not factual. That is what I was trying to convey. That no one should take what I or anyone else says as the absolute truth. Admittedly I didn't get my point across.

What drives me nuts is when people say things like "nobody dresses up on Carnival". "Nobody wears a gown/tux on Carnival". I always wear a gown and I'm not the only one. I always see at least a few men in tuxes. I always see several men in dress uniforms. I see a majority in at least cocktail dresses. I tend to get a drink and sit outside the dining room before late seating. So I see people leave the MDR after first seating and people line up for second seating. It's pretty easy to get a general idea of dress that way.

And, in a way, you have proved my point. The percentages that people quote are only their perception. It is not factual. That is what I was trying to convey. That no one should take what I or anyone else says as the absolute truth. Admittedly I didn't get my point across.

Not only their perception, but also just a ballpark number. Some people are good at looking at a crowd of people and judging numbers in the crowd, and other's aren't.

Archived