St Maarten and St Thomas

livingitup

Does anyone have pictures or video's of what these ports have in the immediate area when you get off the ship? I am trying to find out what sort of things are available at these ports if you don't go into town.

Go to youtube and down load "Maho Beach" and watch the tourists get blown into the ocean from the jet exhaust. It is a 20.00 taxi ride and worth the laugh. also Meagan Beach on st. thomas is really worth going to see. Youtube.

at both ports, you land in a rather large, gated shopping area. In St. Maarten, you can take a quick ride on the water taxi and land in the enter of town. There is more shopping and a beach that's tolerable, but crowded.

Depending where you dock in St. Thomas, you may be directly across from the skyride tam that gives you a great view of the ocean and the ships in the harbor, and also has a restaurant at the top.

Both ports have pretty reasonable cab fare, especially if you get a group of eight people together to share the fare.

Last time I was in St. Maarten it was 4 dollars to get all the way to orient beach.

Marsha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

We first cruised to St. Maarten in 1993. We now own three time share weeks there, and next year we're spending 2/15/14 to 3/15/14 there. All of the big ships dock right on or next to the AC Wathey pier in downtown Philipsburg, the capital of Dutch SXM. There are dozens of taxis lined up waiting to offer you island tours if shopping isn't your thing. If you want to rent a car, you could easily drive around the island's 37 miles. I don't recommend wasting your time watching the daredevils see if they can be killed by the jet engine blasts at the end of the Maho runway. French side capital is Marigot, but ever since the inception of the Euro, that shopping area is a bit run down. There are fabulous white sandy beaches, great music as ships arrive in town, and the pictures taken from the top of the hill looking north to Anquilla are breathtaking. Try http://www.everythingsxm.com for more information.

We're cruising into St. Thomas in December, so I can't give you much info until then.

I don't recommend wasting your time watching the daredevils see if they can be killed by the jet engine blasts at the end of the Maho runway.

It's not about watching the people...it's about watching the planes! :):D:)

Does anyone have pictures or video's of what these ports have in the immediate area when you get off the ship? I am trying to find out what sort of things are available at these ports if you don't go into town.

When we were docked in St. Thomas, this is what we could see from our balcony. There's tons of shops in there. I believe they were very accessible with mobility scooters.

We did the Kon Tiki excursion which was right at the end of the pier, then e went shopping in this area in the afternoon.

DSCF1662_zps354e546d.jpg

In St Maarten there was a small shopping there right at the end of the pier, also definitely accessible with scooters. There's the water taxis that take you to the other parts of the island, I'm sure they could accommodate you. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of that pier area.

We first cruised to St. Maarten in 1993. We now own three time share weeks there, and next year we're spending 2/15/14 to 3/15/14 there. All of the big ships dock right on or next to the AC Wathey pier in downtown Philipsburg, the capital of Dutch SXM. There are dozens of taxis lined up waiting to offer you island tours if shopping isn't your thing. If you want to rent a car, you could easily drive around the island's 37 miles. I don't recommend wasting your time watching the daredevils see if they can be killed by the jet engine blasts at the end of the Maho runway. French side capital is Marigot, but ever since the inception of the Euro, that shopping area is a bit run down. There are fabulous white sandy beaches, great music as ships arrive in town, and the pictures taken from the top of the hill looking north to Anquilla are breathtaking. Try http://www.everythingsxm.com for more information.

We're cruising into St. Thomas in December, so I can't give you much info until then.

I have used our timeshare as well in St. Maarten a few years back. That was such a wonderful vacation spot. This is my first time cruising there so that has me a little worried, but we will make the best of it. I know you will have a wonderful time there as well, such a beautiful place.

When we were docked in St. Thomas, this is what we could see from our balcony. There's tons of shops in there. I believe they were very accessible with mobility scooters.

We did the Kon Tiki excursion which was right at the end of the pier, then e went shopping in this area in the afternoon.

DSCF1662_zps354e546d.jpg

In St Maarten there was a small shopping there right at the end of the pier, also definitely accessible with scooters. There's the water taxis that take you to the other parts of the island, I'm sure they could accommodate you. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of that pier area.

Thanks Jenn31708! Looks good!!

at both ports, you land in a rather large, gated shopping area. In St. Maarten, you can take a quick ride on the water taxi and land in the enter of town. There is more shopping and a beach that's tolerable, but crowded.

Depending where you dock in St. Thomas, you may be directly across from the skyride tam that gives you a great view of the ocean and the ships in the harbor, and also has a restaurant at the top.

Both ports have pretty reasonable cab fare, especially if you get a group of eight people together to share the fare.

Last time I was in St. Maarten it was 4 dollars to get all the way to orient beach.

Marsha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

When we were in St Thomas last week, there was road construction in front of the Skyway chair lift and it was closed, looks like it had been closed for a while and seemed on the verge of being derelict :mad:

St. Maarten has some shopping right when you get off the ship. You can also take a water taxi over to the beach for more shopping, bars etc. St. Thomas has shopping and bars right at the port also however we docked in a different at a different place on our first NCL cruise that was in a much worst part of town and not close to anything walkable.

The photo of St Thomas is Crown Bay. On Freedom you will be going to Havensight with has about everthing.

http://www.virginislandsmap.com/stthomas/havensight/index.html

349-StThomas_zpsd6ea5329.jpg

This is where Allure docked in St Thomas. The buildings wrap round the dock and everything is on the flat so ideal for a mobility scooter. Also of interest there is a rocky area right by the water where loads of iguanas hang out sunbathing. I could have spent loads of time just sat watching them but had to dash off for a tour.

491-AllureoftheSeas_zps312abf3f.jpg

504-SaintMaarten_zps6edafe5d.jpg

This is where Allure was docked in St Maarten. Everything again on the flat or ramped so you would have no problems with a mobility scooter. All the buildings around the dock are little shops so ideal for browsing. Hope this gives you an idea of what is there :)

Go to youtube and down load "Maho Beach" and watch the tourists get blown into the ocean from the jet exhaust. It is a 20.00 taxi ride and worth the laugh. also Meagan Beach on st. thomas is really worth going to see. Youtube.

She asked what was in the immediate area........

349-StThomas_zpsd6ea5329.jpg

This is where Allure docked in St Thomas. The buildings wrap round the dock and everything is on the flat so ideal for a mobility scooter. Also of interest there is a rocky area right by the water where loads of iguanas hang out sunbathing. I could have spent loads of time just sat watching them but had to dash off for a tour.

I believe OP is going on Freedom Dec 1, 2013.:eek:

There are many, many stores in Havensight, St. Thomas; not so many in St. Maarten right at the dock. However, we have easily walked to "town" in St. Maarten on the sidewalk so assume you could use your scooters to get to "town"--where, again, there are many, many stores.

Archived