Penguin colony-Punta Arenas (South America)

JessicaMickey

Yes, can be done. No stairs that I can remember, (Except the "viewing" stage at the waters edge, but you can see everything just fine without going up to that) Everything is VERY regulated, with wooden paths across the marsh, with the penguins wandering around (and under) the path.

Just be aware, while accessible, it IS a LONG walk....

PS The excursion we did was a HAL shore excursion, but I am not sure WHICH colony...

I've been to the penguin colony (not the Magdalina Island tour) on a HAL excursion, although not with anyone in a wheelchair, twice. Perhaps I could help?

When the busses arrive in the parking area, there is a short (depending on how far out your bus is) walk to the ticket area/entrance. That area has gravel. Then, you approach a boardwalk that takes you through the penguin grounds to the seashore. There are areas on the walk where you have to go up, then down, a rise where the penguins go under the walkway. It can be steep, but it is also a short rise.

At the seashore there is a pavilion where you have to climb a couple of steps, then climb up on a riser to watch out some windows to see the penguins on the beach and in the water. That is so neat! :D

If the person in the wheelchair can climb up those steps/riser, then it is really worth it. If the person can't, then the walk through the grounds is still worthwhile. You pass a lot of penguins along the walk.

There's one handicap restroom back at the ticket area. However, the ramp to it is ridiculously steep! Short, but steep. I use a cane, and getting back down I took my life in my hands. :eek: Be very careful.

There are a couple of scooters for rent, but they can't be reserved in advance; first come, first served. IIRC, they are $25 US.

Anything else I can add? Please ask.

I've been to the penguin colony (not the Magdalina Island tour) on a HAL excursion, although not with anyone in a wheelchair, twice. Perhaps I could help?

When the busses arrive in the parking area, there is a short (depending on how far out your bus is) walk to the ticket area/entrance. That area has gravel. Then, you approach a boardwalk that takes you through the penguin grounds to the seashore. There are areas on the walk where you have to go up, then down, a rise where the penguins go under the walkway. It can be steep, but it is also a short rise.

At the seashore there is a pavilion where you have to climb a couple of steps, then climb up on a riser to watch out some windows to see the penguins on the beach and in the water. That is so neat! :D

If the person in the wheelchair can climb up those steps/riser, then it is really worth it. If the person can't, then the walk through the grounds is still worthwhile. You pass a lot of penguins along the walk.

There's one handicap restroom back at the ticket area. However, the ramp to it is ridiculously steep! Short, but steep. I use a cane, and getting back down I took my life in my hands. :eek: Be very careful.

There are a couple of scooters for rent, but they can't be reserved in advance; first come, first served. IIRC, they are $25 US.

Anything else I can add? Please ask.

Well done, Ruth!

we have been to Magdalena Island. The island itself has nice path that can be easily done with a wheel chair. But I don't know about getting there. We had a private tour with a smallish boat,a wheel chair would not work on that.

But, I have heard that there is a ferry that goes as well, I have no idea if that would be easier with a wheel chair.

we have been to Magdalena Island. The island itself has nice path that can be easily done with a wheel chair. But I don't know about getting there. We had a private tour with a smallish boat,a wheel chair would not work on that.

But, I have heard that there is a ferry that goes as well, I have no idea if that would be easier with a wheel chair.

Yeah, well, so memory is a funny thing. I was certain there was a nice path. Now I have been coincidentally finishing my Punta Arenas video and had one look at the video footage and photo's, and I thought to myself: no wheel chair is going to cut it.

So sorry about my earlier message.:( Magdalena Island with a wheel chair is a no go, you wouldn't make it off the boat onto that rickety dock there; and even though the walk way is somewhat smooth, it's not for wheel chairs.

Ottway sounds like the better option.

If that's all you plan to do on your excursion you may consider doing a private shorex and spend more time there. We got there when all the busses were there. The boardwalks were crowded. When the other tours left it was so much better. And it would have been easier maneuvering a wheelchair.

If that's all you plan to do on your excursion you may consider doing a private shorex and spend more time there. We got there when all the busses were there. The boardwalks were crowded. When the other tours left it was so much better. And it would have been easier maneuvering a wheelchair.

This is a good idea and what we would do next time.

Not really as much time there as we would have liked and the shorex was strictly transportation to and fro.

We were on the ferry to Magdalena off the ferry on our Veendam cruise. The ferry is a roll on roll off, with a ramp from the deck to the island, the path from the concrete slipway was small pebbles up a slight incline to a flat footpath. We think that there wouldn't be much of a problem from the deck to the footpath, however the loo is definitely not adapted for disabled there is seating inside on the main deck where you dont have to go up stairs but I think that the entrance to the cabin and the loo has the sort of waterproof lip that you get on old style ferries, so you would have to get the chair over that. The loo is on the main deck but small. The penguins are great, particularly for people with limited mobility, just wonderful.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

I agree with the others - Magdalena Island is not possible with a wheelchair.

The ferry is old, roll-on roll-off, and not at all equipped for the disabled. The bathroom was small, with a lip to negotiate at the doorway.

When we got to the island, we had to walk off the ramp onto the beach, which was rough with small rocks around. By the time we had to get back on the ferry, the crew had improved the beach access, but it was still over sand and pebbles.

On the island itself, the path was compacted sand and gravel, with some steep places.

I have located a photo of the ferry at Magdalena (known as Los Pinguinos locally)

http://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=1153595&size=full

As you can see it is a very short distance to the footpath, over stones, and there are a very large number of penguins everywhere. Just fabulous. Whether a wheelchair could make it I cannot say. But worth the effort I would say, and I have seen a few penguins over the years ...

Archived