what to do ? Not an upgrade and now stuck?

Holidaycraze

We are sailing on a b2b cruise soon Second half of cruise we were upgraded from balcony on 10th floor pearl to mini suite. Why is this a problem? Found out after reading on cruise critic this cabin is one to stay away from. 11542 - righr under pool deck -noise early in morning from cleaners moving deck chairs and late night bands.....I'm a light sleeper and go on holidays for rest. Large overhang also blocks the sun - I read this as well. . I have called and asked for a down grade to lower category even but NCL JUST SAY NO! Checked again and min suitei guarantees available on ncl website - we dont care they are less than what we paid - i just dont want this cabin. At least with a gaurantee we may not end up with this area of cabins. I asked to waitlist for aft facing - one person said i could for a fee which i said ok then i was disconneted when put on hold and next person i called said no its too close to sailing. Cruised alot of lines - first one for NCL and must say rthe phone systems and customer service/communication has been poor. I booked more cabins for family and just wanted to deal with one peson - told call outbound number and then given the what for by the cruise consultant - the different numbers and consultants do not work together. Anyway can anyone give advise how to get out of my upgrade! Thank you

Edited by Holidaycraze

I say "might" because you said you're a light sleeper. I was in 11590, the last cabin under the "overhang". It was great. I was apprehensive at first because it was under the Teen Hangout. I never heard a sound. Ever.

For me, I loved the overhang because it meant a larger balcony, and I could go out at any hour and not get rained on, or windblown. No problem with sun--it was there!

Being that I was at the last overhang balcony, I could see my neighbor's balcony and it was significantly smaller than mine.

Hope this helps. I loved it, mini suite significantly bigger than balcony suite. Square footage doesn't appear to indicate that, but I was very pleasantly surprised. And the bathroom--what a difference!

To Liking - Thank you for your input!!! I do feel relieved especially about overhang and the fact rain is likely doing Panama Canal areas at this time of year. I will bring ear plugs and just be happy with upgrade and not be concerned. Thanks again

Edited by Holidaycraze

After our bermuda cruise this July on the Dawn we came home and upgraded our 14 night cruise in nov on the dawn to a minisuite with the overhang. In bermuda our balcony was so sunny we couldn't go out on it half the day. It was too hot! Looking forward to the shade and rain protection. When it rained in bermuda our balcony got soaked and we couldn't sit out there.

I'm a light sleeper, too, so always bring earplugs on vacation. If you've never slept with earplugs, my only suggestion is to try them out ahead of time. There are different ones and some are too large for my ears and hurt. I can only comfortably use the light tan Hearos.

I don't remember that there were bands playing on the pool deck late at night on any cruise either.

"Late at night" is a subjective thing - for us after 10pm is late at night with next day being a port day (especially in the evening of an exchausting port day).

I've written here that the steel drum band kept us up later than we'd have wanted - I think that the music stopped between 11pm and midnight.

We are sailing on a b2b cruise soon Second half of cruise we were upgraded from balcony on 10th floor pearl to mini suite. Why is this a problem? Found out after reading on cruise critic this cabin is one to stay away from. 11542 - righr under pool deck -noise early in morning from cleaners moving deck chairs and late night bands.....I'm a light sleeper and go on holidays for rest. Large overhang also blocks the sun - I read this as well. . I have called and asked for a down grade to lower category even but NCL JUST SAY NO! Checked again and min suitei guarantees available on ncl website - we dont care they are less than what we paid - i just dont want this cabin. At least with a gaurantee we may not end up with this area of cabins. I asked to waitlist for aft facing - one person said i could for a fee which i said ok then i was disconneted when put on hold and next person i called said no its too close to sailing. Cruised alot of lines - first one for NCL and must say rthe phone systems and customer service/communication has been poor. I booked more cabins for family and just wanted to deal with one peson - told call outbound number and then given the what for by the cruise consultant - the different numbers and consultants do not work together. Anyway can anyone give advise how to get out of my upgrade! Thank you

Just curious how you ended up with the "upgrade" to this mini. Did you book a "balcony" guarantee and you ended up getting a mini? If so, that's the nature of booking a guarantee and why many people don't do that. Or, if you picked your balcony at booking ( for both legs of the cruise, I guess? ), then did they call and offer you the mini and you accepted not knowing of the potential issues with the cabin? I'm asking because a few people have reported being moved without their consent recently. If so, you need to let them know.

If there are still mini guarantees offered, then there should be other minis available to move you to. Talk to your PCC and see if what they can do.

Edited by punkincc

The overhang balconies are great. We won't book a mini without one, especially for a Caribbean or PC cruise. As another has mentioned, you will get plenty of sun, but have excellent rain protection for those tropical storms. The tropical latitudes sun will make your balcony completely unusable much of the time without some sun protection.

thank you to everyone for your information and advice. I look now look forward to our cabin with the overhang all very good points especially going into the Panama canal. I will also bring ear plugs and hope the noise won't keep me awake. we were not in a guaranteed Kenny we actually the assigned balcony on the we got our upgrade. First 5 days we can try out a balcony on the 9th floor for the last 14 days we switch to our mini suite very excited about the cruise - leaves Sunday and all is good thank you again

• 7 months later...

How was the cabin? Assume you are back from your cruise by now. I was booked in a balcony cabin on deck 10 for a cruise to Alaska in 2 weeks. The prices just dropped so I was able to upgrade to a mini-suite at no additional cost. It was a mini guarantee so I couldn't pick the cabin but they assigned me to 11542. The location looks great. I know that the just removed the waterslide from the Pearl so that might cut down some noise from above. Although it is a cruise to Alaska so I doubt anyone would have been using the slide if it was there. My only concern is that it's a connecting cabin. Curious if you hear much from he room next door that has a connecting door.

How was the cabin? Assume you are back from your cruise by now. ...

This post is from last fall. The original poster has not posted anything since last Sept, so guessing they are not here.