Sugar free simple syrup

Muushka

As I plan for our upcoming cruise, with either the Classic or Premium Alcohol package, I am thinking about sugar.

Once I had the non-alcohol premium and I watched them make the drinks.

I realized they were pouring simple sugar freely into the ones that I ordered. So eventually I just switched to seltzer and a little bit of OJ. Much better for me.

But there is such a thing as "sugar free simple syrup".

Does anyone know if the barkeeps have this or should I make some an bring it along?

I would like to try some of the drinks they make, but I sure don't need the sugar!

There are several commercially available sugar free simple syrups, but I doubt that you would find any on board.

Google "sugar free simple syrup" and you can see some of the products and prices.

You can make a home-made version with sugar substitute dissolved in warm water, let cool, refrigerate. That's the trick. You wouldn't really be able to make that for yourself on board very easily.

Because of CDC rules, they won't be able to mix your drinks with a simple syrup you bring from home. They just won't accept the liability of home made syrup

But yes, there is such a thing as sugar free simple syrup. I have seen it made with Truvia.

Thanks all.

The drinks I had without the simple sugar syrup were not that good.

I have a recipe for sugar free simple syrup, but I wondered if X offered it.

I am gathering no, so I will bring my own. And add it myself.

Thanks. :)

There are liquid sugar substitutes available at the grocery store. You may want to call the Celebrity Special Needs department, and arrange either for them to have it on board, or to allow you to bring your own. I know they make sugar substitutes available for diabetics, and as many people have a preference of their brand I'm sure they'd be willing to accommodate you bringing the syrup version.

There are liquid sugar substitutes available at the grocery store. You may want to call the Celebrity Special Needs department' date=' and arrange either for them to have it on board, or to allow you to bring your own. I know they make sugar substitutes available for diabetics, and as many people have a preference of their brand I'm sure they'd be willing to accommodate you bringing the syrup version.[/quote']

They have three kinds of sugar substitute in all dining areas. Splenda, Sweet & Low and Nutrasweet or generic equivalents of these. The only thing missing is Trulia.

Couldn't one just ask them to make the drink without sugar syrup and add a packet of the sweetener of their choice. It seems that this would be more practical than trying to arrange for them to have a liquid sweetener at every bar one might want a drink from.

As long as we're on the subject of non-sugar sweeteners: While not really non-sugar, has anyone ever asked about agave nectar on board? A lot of restaurants and bars around here are starting to make margaritas and some other drinks with agave nectar rather than sweetened mixes or triple sec. While the agave nectar is just another form of sugar it is supposed to be a little sweeter and/or have a lower glycemic index than sugar syrup or triple sec.

As long as we're on the subject of non-sugar sweeteners: While not really non-sugar, has anyone ever asked about agave nectar on board? A lot of restaurants and bars around here are starting to make margaritas and some other drinks with agave nectar rather than sweetened mixes or triple sec. While the agave nectar is just another form of sugar it is supposed to be a little sweeter and/or have a lower glycemic index than sugar syrup or triple sec.

Ships with Molecular Bars onboard use Agave nectar in a few of their concotions.

But isn't that maple flavored at the buffet? That's not what the bartenders need for making drinks.

Don't know about Celebrity and yes there was a maple flavour one. They also had non flavoured, just sugarfree syrup (I don't do sugar).

Point is if you ask at a favourite bar, it may be that they already have this product onboard for the sugar free desserts etc.

Perhaps we should start a campaign, I never have more than one or two cocktails per cruise because they are just not worth the calories. Now sugarfree syrup would open up a whole world of beverage exploration:)

Yvonne

• 1 month later...

I use Organic Blue Agave that I get at Costco. I am sure other places sell it. It is natural and not a artificial sweeter that I am a little leary about. It looks like a honey or syrup.

🎃

Archived