Regatta - Deck 8 cabin/balcony noise from Deck 9?

GeezerCouple

We are planning our first cruise with Oceania, and thinking of reserving for one or two more.

This change was first recommended by our travel agent, and the comments here on CruiseCritic definitely confirm just about all of her reasons for suggesting Oceania. Thanks to all!

However, the cabin and deck layouts don't seem to be ideal for the PH cabins.

On the Regatta, the PH cabins are all on Deck 8, and there are no cabins on Deck 9 to help prevent too much noise.

How much noise is there within the PH cabins (or, importantly, on the balconies) from the public areas above on Deck 9?

Are there any recommended cabins on Deck 8 that have less potential noise?

(We noticed a very few that looked to have better placement, but unfortunately those are already booked. Perhaps that's for the same reason we tried to get those?)

We are REALLY looking forward to Oceania cruises!

Given the repeated comments about the great food, we are also planning to have some seriously competitive dieting for a few weeks before departure ;-)

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

We were on Nautica when she was brand new (then she was the R5). We were in 8004 as I recall. Occasionally we heard scraping noises when furniture was moved -- deck chairs, I think -- but it really didn't bother us much.

It may well depend on your sensitivity to this kind of thing.

Mura

We were in PH twice on R ships, once in 8057 and once in 8049. In 8057 in the mornings we noticed noise from above in the Terrace cafe with moving of chairs. We would also get cooking smells - mostly bacon, which wasn't all bad! But I do have a sensitive nose. 8049 didn't have as much overhead noise, but we still experienced it. May not be as bad away from the Terrace cafe. We didn't notice balcony noise, at least not that I remember.

We have not booked PH again on the R ships, one of the reasons was the no noise barrier and the fact on future sailings we were on the Marina and chose not to spend the extra money for the PH. Our last R ship cruise was only 7 days and we did not feel the need for extra space.

Stay away from 8055 and 8057. They are very noisy -- you will here the breakfast buffet carts in the morning -- scratch and bang for around 15 minutes at around 5 to 6am. Then the repeat in the evening when they bring the stuff back from 10pm to 11pm. The Kitchen door at the rear of Terrace is located right above you.

Ok, now you've got me worried. We are booked on a 24 day cruise in cabin 8057 on Regatta. We are also booked in cabin 8059 on a 12 day cruise, also on Regatta. The only other PH cabin available on the 24 day cruise is 8016. Don't know if this would be any better since it seems to be under the Waves grill. Don't know if it would be worth it to change cabins (ph3 - ph2) or not. Any suggestions?

We've been in 8000 which we chose because it's below the card room or computer room and there was no noise at all from above. We did hear that rooms below Waves grill were quite noisy.

Great minds think alike :)

This was the cabin we wanted.

(We are hoping someone might cancel, as it's long before any serious penalty.)

Only the other side, under the fitness room, was available up there. And since we aren't likely to be the ones using the fitness equipment bright and early, that wasn't appealing.

We are really liking the Deck arrangements on the Riviera, but we really want to get "Alaska" checked off our list. (Or at least the "first Alaska" trip ;-)

We're also making plans for another trip, but on the Riviera, where there is a reasonable choice of similar itineraries between it and one of the smaller ships.

This feedback is exactly the type of information we are hoping to learn.

For the cabins under the "outdoor" areas of Deck 9, is the foot traffic/chair moving troublesome?

We aren't usually bothered too much by normal noise, but we figured we should try to choose the best of the available cabins.

Everything sounds so appealing on Oceania.

I've been on cruises (albeit some years ago), but DH hasn't, and I want to do my best to make sure his first few experiences are the best possible.

Thank you very much.

GeezerCouple

Ok, now you've got me worried. We are booked on a 24 day cruise in cabin 8057 on Regatta. We are also booked in cabin 8059 on a 12 day cruise, also on Regatta. The only other PH cabin available on the 24 day cruise is 8016. Don't know if this would be any better since it seems to be under the Waves grill. Don't know if it would be worth it to change cabins (ph3 - ph2) or not. Any suggestions?

We were in 8057 on a B2B on Regatta back in O's early days. We were supposed to move to another cruise for the second leg but they allowed us to stay put.

I don't recall ANY noise. Maybe it depends on your cruise?

I don't know but 8004 was a cabin where we were aware of some noise, although it didn't bother us, and 8057 was just fine.

Good luck on your decision!

Mura

We have had a PH3 stateroom on 9 Oceania cruises. There has never been a problem with noise. I recommend 8062 or 8065 as you only have people with a balcony on one side. You will love Oceania. Our next cruise on that line is in November. Happy sailing!

Now I'm concerned. We are on a 24 day cruise in November aboard Nautica in 8006. Someone mentioned elevator/stairway noise in 8007, exactly opposite, and someone mentioned noise above 8004 (which is the restroom). How bad was the intrusion and how early/late?

We just returned from 21 days on Regatta in 8042. Never heard a single sound from above. A friend who was in 8020 did hear deck chairs being moved around early one morning when the crew was setting up for the Country Fair but when she mentioned it to her Butler, the noise stopped immediately! We've also done 12 days (Regatta) in 8053 and never heard sounds from above. You'll love the ship, the crew and the food!

Thanks very much!

It seems it won't be a problem at all, or just a minor inconvenience, if that.

We've just booked on the Regatta for June, and on the Riviera for December (2014).

CruiseCritic is a great help. Everything we've read suggests that Oceania will be a great fit for us, and we are looking forward to many cruises in the future.

We look forward to meeting some of you in person ;-)

GeezerCouple

Thanks very much!

It seems it won't be a problem at all, or just a minor inconvenience, if that.

We've just booked on the Regatta for June, and on the Riviera for December (2014).

CruiseCritic is a great help. Everything we've read suggests that Oceania will be a great fit for us, and we are looking forward to many cruises in the future.

We look forward to meeting some of you in person ;-)

GeezerCouple

We are also on Riviera in December -- Reefs & Ruins leaving Maimi on Dec. 2. Which one are you taking?

Sorry, I read your message too quickly and now see that you are on Riviera in December of 2014 - we are going in 2013 - sorry for the incorrect post.

That's okay.

DH made the same "mistake"! :eek:

But that time, I neglected to specify "2014".

Just another case of "Well, *I* knew what I meant..." :o Ooops!

He was surprisingly quiet [calm, even!] about it, given that it would have meant getting off another cruise - not Oceania - and a long overnight flight, having enough time to do some laundry, and then flying off again to meet the Riviera.

(All of that scheduling would have been okay, of course, IF I had discussed it with him first... Fortunately, we'll have several months after we return from that other cruise. Actually, maybe that's NOT so fortunate after all. I'd rather not wait so long!)

GeezerCouple

• 3 weeks later...
Stay away from 8055 and 8057. They are very noisy -- you will here the breakfast buffet carts in the morning -- scratch and bang for around 15 minutes at around 5 to 6am. Then the repeat in the evening when they bring the stuff back from 10pm to 11pm. The Kitchen door at the rear of Terrace is located right above you.

and wondered about the noise at that time.We got up early anyway,but this was like an alarm clock.For late or light sleepers ,it could be a problem.Would NOT book that room again and wish I d seen this post BEFORE booking.All, in all, was a great trip and this was a MINOR inconvenience.

We just took an upgrade to a PH3 on Nautica to 8002 for our 10 day November 4 cruise. It is under the card room and our TA has stayed there before and said there is no noise problem. It is the hallway that leads to the captain's area and the bridge. There were other locations availabe, but having experienced the noise under the Terrace and pool deck we would not have gone for the upgrade if those had been the only locations.

The upgrade was $300 p/p going from an A3 to a P3. For the extra space etc we decided we deserved it. :)

Archived