Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

I know goodie, much more likely that if recent it was a repo from the Alaska itineraries. But all that I found posted was that her port was San Pedro and several posts about Santa Barbara. San Pedro could have been her end port. Don't know when she went, don't know what ship or itinerary. She has not yet come back to clarify, so until then about all anyone can do is think West Coast.

Edited by cherylandtk

I'd be interested to know as well if it was in the original bottle or in some kind of after purchase "packaging" e.g a rum runner, or shampoo bottle.

Also I think I had heard that you can also bring on 1 bottle of wine per person at each port, for consumption in your room, without paying the $15 corkage fee, is this correct, and this is in addition to your 1 bottle/pp at embarkation?

Sorry one more question - what is their policy about bringing beer onboard?

Edited by N00B

I'd be interested to know as well if it was in the original bottle or in some kind of after purchase "packaging" e.g a rum runner, or shampoo bottle.

Also I think I had heard that you can also bring on 1 bottle of wine per person at each port, for consumption in your room, without paying the $15 corkage fee, is this correct, and this is in addition to your 1 bottle/pp at embarkation?

Beer is not allowed on. I don't believe that you can bring 1 bottle per port stop on free of charge; i belive that everything over 1 bottle, whether at embarkation or at port, is charged $15.

I just wanted to report our experience with the new alcohol policy. We packed a bottle of alcohol in our checked bag and our luck finally ran out. Our luggage arrived late with a note stating that the alcohol in our bag was removed and destroyed. They do not return it at the end of the cruise. So I guess they're getting serious about the new alcohol policy.

Susan

Were rum runners utalised?

I had to go back a reread what the OP said but it does say a bottle of alcohol so I am assuming it was the bottle they come in.

Beer is not allowed onboard but we cruised with a couple last year he put a case of beer in a duffle bag, checked it and it showed up at the room. I guess it's just a gamble. Luckily if beer gets taken a case of domestic doesn't cost too much.

Like the others would be interested to know which port they left from.

They should not search your bag without you there! They could lay themselves open to charges of theft, if you claimed something else was missing from your bag! Know they have a stated alcohol policy which should be adhered to by passengers but that does not excuse the cruiseline security staff going into anyone's bag.

Nearly all the cruise lines now x-ray all checked luggage. Like the airlines, this is done out of sight of the passengers which is good thing since can you imagine the wait as they x-ray thousands of pieces of luggage? If they see something amiss on the x-ray they will open your luggage. This is done for the security of all onboard. There was at least one cruise line that would simply hold the luggage and summon the passenger to a special holding area where they luggage would be searched in the presence of the passenger. But this is not very efficient. And the cruise lines are within their legal rights to search any luggage (or cabin) with or without a passenger's permission or presence.

You have the same rights as an airline passenger. If you want to ensure that your luggage is not searched you have to simply not take the cruise. And by the way, unlike on land where the Police would need a search warrant to search your cabin, on a ship they need no warrant! You leave some of your rights at the gangplank.

Hank

I wish that Princess would wake up and figure out why bookings are dropping and CCL stock slowly dropping. Passenger dissatisfaction with multiple policies and services. They would have less problems if they allowed at least one bottle of alcohol per passenger ( for those who don't care for wine) to be brought on board--no sneaking, no angry passengers.

Most go on a cruise to relax and enjoy visiting the world. Many like to have a drink in their stateroom while preparing for dinner. You begin to feel that it is prohibition at sea.

We have sailed Princess for years and are Elite, but we have also changed to Oceania & Crystal as we don't like being treated like a child and not trusted. We would have had many more on Princess, but it is because of situations like this that our loyalty has changed, and it is a pure pleasure being treated as tho we are responsible adults and can be trusted.

Princess, please take these comments into consideration and don't judge all your passengers by those who act irresponsibly. You will still have those who do misbehave regardless of what policies you put into place.

I do realize that you can order liquor for your stateroom prior to the cruise, but a "pint" instead of a larger amount (even .750 would be an improvement) is all you can order. Wow Princess. I think it is all about the $$$.

Edited by spindrift

Things have sure changed since I took my first cruise 31 years ago. You never had to worry about all this stuff. I will say this. Years and years ago a average 7 night cruise could cost you $1000 for a inside cabin. Today I see deals for as low as $299 for a 7 night. So with inflation a cruise today should be $3000 for a 7 night. The high end lines charge this much. Thus they could care less how much wine or booze you bring on. Why would they care, you won't be drinking their stock that is included in the price. So I just don't fight the system. I get a good price for a cabin on the main stream lines and just buy what I want. I just factor in about $100 per day for myself and my spouse and that usually covers our needs and I still feel like I am getting a deal. This is just the real world today.:eek:

On the Golden in March, the staff would only open luggage in front of the passenger.
Per the current Passage Contract:

"At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage."

"At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage."

And a little warning about them delivering your alcohol purchases to your stateroom the night before. My brother-in-law bought a few large bottles on the ship to bring back as gifts. They were packed very nicely in sturdy boxes and my BIL was assured that there would be no problem bringing them on the plane. WRONG. He packed them in his carry on, still in the boxes provided. Of course, they were confiscated at the airport and destroyed (not in our presence). I'm just glad he wasn't arrested! My sister and I distanced ourselves from him when we realized what he had done. :o I'm sure he was happy about that, too.:D

Beer is not allowed on. I don't believe that you can bring 1 bottle per port stop on free of charge; i belive that everything over 1 bottle, whether at embarkation or at port, is charged $15.

I had to go back a reread what the OP said but it does say a bottle of alcohol so I am assuming it was the bottle they come in.

Beer is not allowed onboard but we cruised with a couple last year he put a case of beer in a duffle bag, checked it and it showed up at the room. I guess it's just a gamble. Luckily if beer gets taken a case of domestic doesn't cost too much.

Like the others would be interested to know which port they left from.

Actually not always true. On our Alaskan Cruise last June we were able to bring beer on board from the ports. Went right thru the scanner without a word.

Most go on a cruise to relax and enjoy visiting the world. Many like to have a drink in their stateroom while preparing for dinner. You begin to feel that it is prohibition at sea.

I do realize that you can order liquor for your stateroom prior to the cruise, but a "pint" instead of a larger amount (even .750 would be an improvement) is all you can order. Wow Princess. I think it is all about the $$$.

These statements are contradictory. It's hardly "prohibition at sea" if, as you admit, not only can you buy all the drinks you want, but also bottles to consume as you see fit. If you want them cheaper, or have the belief that being an adult means not having to abide by the rules you agree to, that's on you.

These statements are contradictory. It's hardly "prohibition at sea" if, as you admit, not only can you buy all the drinks you want, but also bottles to consume as you see fit. If you want them cheaper, or have the belief that being an adult means not having to abide by the rules you agree to, that's on you.

But the bottles you can buy are pretty limited and pretty low end. I love cruising but the more things change in cruising the more we move to land trips. I'm really not looking for rules and restrictions on vacations. We're currently in Hawaii and we'll be canceling a 10 day Caribbean cruise when we get home to do 2 weeks back here....no naughty room :)

Edited by Cruise Junky

Actually not always true. On our Alaskan Cruise last June we were able to bring beer on board from the ports. Went right thru the scanner without a word.

The policy and it's enforcement don't always line up. I've bought alcohol in port thinking it would be stored and it was allowed on. If someone asks the policy, I give them the policy. If they want to risk it, they can, but they should know it's not "supposed" to be allowed on, and can be destroyed, even if it sometimes is missed or waved through.

But the bottles you can buy are pretty limited and pretty low end. I love cruising but the more things change in cruising the more we move to land trips. I'm really not looking for rules and restrictions on vacations. We're currently in Hawaii and we'll be canceling a 10 day Caribbean cruise when we get home to do 2 weeks back here....no naughty room :)

Sure. A lot if stadiums/venues have poor drink selections and don't allow one to bring in other alcohol. If one doesn't like that, don't go there. But disagreement with the policy doesn't entitle one to exempt them self from it.

Sure. A lot if stadiums/venues have poor drink selections and don't allow one to bring in other alcohol. If one doesn't like that, don't go there. But disagreement with the policy doesn't entitle one to exempt them self from it.

No, not at all, but the stadium analogy doesn't really work, I'm not living in a Stadium for 7 days. What hotel has such ridiculous policies? Comparing a Cruise ship to a resort or a hotel is more realistic. Princess has turned a blind eye to booze for years so I don't blame anyone for trying. We'll still cruise but more restrictive policies will make us look at land trips first.

It is nice that you all follow the terms of the contract and I am sure Princess appreciates it. Too bad that Princess has on occasion not followed their own contract which they themselves wrote and had to be taken to court. I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

It is nice that you all follow the terms of the contract and I am sure Princess appreciates it. Too bad that Princess has on occasion not followed their own contract which they themselves wrote and had to be taken to court. I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.
I was just quoting the Passage Contract wording that allows baggage to be searched for alcohol without the passenger present as long as the luggage is unlocked. You also notice that they use video, presumably recorded, to document what was removed from any luggage.

Princess is indeed inconsistent and that is very frustrating.

Edited by IECalCruiser

No, not really. Princess allows unlimited 750ml bottles of wine and Champagne. The first bottle per adult is free to bring on board, and free to be consumed in your cabin. All additional bottles are subject to a $15 per bottle corkage fee at the time of boarding, and once that is paid, the bottles can be consumed anywhere on the ship at no additional cost. The "free bottles" will be subject to the $15 corkage fee at the time of consumption if consumed in a public area such as a dining room or lounge.

How will they know whether the bottle is 'free', or one that you've already paid corkage on?

No, not really. Princess allows unlimited 750ml bottles of wine and Champagne. The first bottle per adult is free to bring on board, and free to be consumed in your cabin. All additional bottles are subject to a $15 per bottle corkage fee at the time of boarding, and once that is paid, the bottles can be consumed anywhere on the ship at no additional cost. The "free bottles" will be subject to the $15 corkage fee at the time of consumption if consumed in a public area such as a dining room or lounge.

How will they know whether the bottle is 'free', or one that you've already paid corkage on?

I think they stamp the bottles that you pay corkage on. I would assume they will ask you which one bottle you do not want stamped.

And a little warning about them delivering your alcohol purchases to your stateroom the night before. My brother-in-law bought a few large bottles on the ship to bring back as gifts. They were packed very nicely in sturdy boxes and my BIL was assured that there would be no problem bringing them on the plane. WRONG. He packed them in his carry on, still in the boxes provided. Of course, they were confiscated at the airport and destroyed (not in our presence). I'm just glad he wasn't arrested! My sister and I distanced ourselves from him when we realized what he had done. :o I'm sure he was happy about that, too.:D

There is no problem taking them on the plane, they just have to be packed into checked luggage. Rules have been in place for a few years now that you cannot carry on any liquid in a container bigger than 100ml.