Do australian cruises fill up?

Esilef

With so many cruise ships here ATM just wondering if they always sail full or if most are below capacity?

They are not always full but most of the time they are and occasionally ships are overbooked We did the Thailand to Sydney 18 nighter last November on Diamond Princess and 5 days before departure we and several other passengers who, we met on the cruise received very good incentive offers from Princess to cancel our cruises, receive a full refund and sail a couple of months later for free with connecting airfares included. Very tempting but having built our expectations and excitement up for this cruise for months we did not take up the offer. This was because the ship was overbooked and they were looking for volunteers to "bump"

With the huge increase in cruise companies now operating out of Australia you can bet your bottom dollar that the demand for cruising is definitely there otherwise we would not be seeing the increased Interest from the companies. You can also bet your second to bottom dollar that the companies have done their homework and market research which would show that the future of the cruise industry in Australia is set to expand healthily in the near future

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

The strategy of cruiselines is to manage their business to ensure that the ships do not sail with empty cabins -- hence the very low prices sometimes offered to fill the ships (and the deliberate overbooking. )

Barry

With so many cruise ships here ATM just wondering if they always sail full or if most are below capacity?

Some places, like the Caribbean, have way more than us.

The policy everywhere around the world with the mass market lines is to get the volume onboard. First step is to reduce prices for a particular sailing. And next step is if it's an issue of over capacity is to move the shp to a place with better yields. :D

So the ships will be always close to full. Discounts here still haven't gotten that great that they're having difficulty filling them.

I was thinking the same thing especially regarding Carnival Spirit which is here all year round and constantly sailing out of Sydney, considering our limited population.

I just checked ozcruising website and checked the next couple of sailings for rooms available and theres a LOT available and even in the Holidays periods still lots available. I hope this means they don't take her away some time soon. They could start by giving some good prices and then more would go.

They also fill them up with Family & Friends super cheap fares when they need to.

Cruising is now a Cheaper holiday alternative to a land based holiday in Australia and given our very generous 4 weeks annual leave and long Service leave entitlements we can holiday and thus cruise more often than most other countries:)

They also fill them up with Family & Friends super cheap fares when they need to.

Cruising is now a Cheaper holiday alternative to a land based holiday in Australia and given our very generous 4 weeks annual leave and long Service leave entitlements we can holiday and thus cruise more often than most other countries:)

The 'family and friends' prices aren't that much different, and sometimes more expensive, compared with 'specials' offered by travel agents. $100 per night (or a bit more) for a guarantee inside cabin is the usual price with family and friends prices.

The 'family and friends' prices aren't that much different, and sometimes more expensive, compared with 'specials' offered by travel agents. $100 per night (or a bit more) for a guarantee inside cabin is the usual price with family and friends prices.

$100 per night is cheap no matter how many nights you cruise!

Admittedly super specials can be cheaper and quad share has its financial advantages but I am yet to take a cruise from australia that only cost $100 pp per night.

Admittedly super specials can be cheaper and quad share has its financial advantages but I am yet to take a cruise from australia that only cost $100 pp per night.

I have seen ads for cruises at $100 pp per night for the lowest category inside cabins. :) Even the local TA sent me an email a day or two ago with several well-price cruises. Here is a 'cut and paste'.

SUN PRINCESS from $84 per night

* CARNIVAL SPIRIT from $78 per night

* PACIFIC PEARL from $78 per night

* ARCADIA from $89 per night

* QUEEN VICTORIA from $83 per night

I checked a couple of them, and they were for twin share inside cabins.

We took advantage of a Seniors Special to book the Rhapsody for 12-nights to Fiji earlier this year - Oceanview Cabin Twin Share - for $1196 pp AND THAT INCLUDED GRATUTIES!

Ship Name: Sun Princess

Cruise Code: S403

Departure Date: Saturday, 25 January 2014

Cruise Name: South Pacific / Fiji

Nights: 14

Departing: Sydney

Inside $1259 pp

Oceanview $1453 pp

Very few voyages sail with MT cabins. The Cruise lines have very sophisticated yield management systems that constantly fiddle with the bookings and pricing to extract every last cent possible, and ensure that all cabins are sold by departure date .

Typically at final payment required date there is a big reshuffle where the upgrade fairy strikes and people get shuffled upwards, to release as many inside cabins as possible to sell at last minute bargain rates that often make it cheaper to cruise than live at home.

Bit of a shock with our cruise on Dawn Princess for Dec 21st 2013. Been watching prices over the last few weeks - seeing what was what. On Friday inside cabins were $2039.00 - today they have shot up to $2600.00pp ish. The remaining mini suites have increased by $1,000pp. I reckon that cruise is full now. :eek:;)

Archived