LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Yep, I can't wait to see you, we will keep it small when we go with Fabrizio to Amalfi. The person we were going to bring is not welcomed, fab asked that we keep it small with only nice people, and so we will. More on that later. Hurry up and get here! Love ya,

Amelia[/quote/]

I would leave today if I could. I'm ready!

It looks like we will be having a great kick-off party for the second leg next Tuesday night. It keeps getting bigger and bigger. Can't wait to see everyone! l cannot believe all the great people I have met over the past few TA cruises who are cruising with me again. Then there are all the people I haven't met yet but feel like I ready know. This is going to be the best cruise ever. I can just feel it.

Hurry up and get here! We can't wait to see everybody, especially you! Fabrizio is waiting for us, however Isabel cannot join us because she has a wedding to go to. It's a bummer, I know.

See you in Venice,

Amelia

Good Morning from Istanbul where the high today is only predicted to be in the low 60’s with a chance of rain. Right now I haven’t been out yet, but a short opening of my balcony door made it a brrrrrrrrrr for me. Then I went to the gym and met some people who told me it was in the 40’s. Double brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Fun day for us yesterday which started with losing by one at trivia and then spending some time at the IC for coffee and………. We went to the pop choir rehearsal and yes, the songs are the same. A note to Julia and Lynda on the next cruise. The director Stephanie would like you to contact her on the first pop choir day, so look for it in the Patter. I’m not sure whether or not I will remain in the aforementioned. We then attended the afternoon trivia and lost again; by one. Almost time for Capt. Circle cocktail party, so quickly showered and changed and went to that at 5:30. Here are the stats:

Captain Circle members total 2222.

Most traveled:

First Place…………………… 1262

Second Place ……………. 1062

Third Place ……………………1014

Our dinner at the Crown Grill was wonderful; several bottles of wine imbibed and we were there for three hours.

We then watched a new game show we had never seen: Hollywood You? Six participants trying to act out titles using props. Hard to explain if you don’t see it.

Today we are in port until 6:00 PM. This is our 6th time here and since Mike is a shopper/looker, we will take the shuttle to the Grand Bazaar so he can satisfy his desires. Shuttle cost is $10/pp round trip.

Other than trivia, there is absolutely nothing going on during the day. No MUTS movies, no theater movie, no nothing. Tonight on MUTS is Life of Pi, in Vista there’s a musical tribute to Stevie Wonder and in the theater another new production show; “Sweet Soul Music.” At 10:30 PM there will be a movie in Vista; “The Big Wedding.”

I have a request from Franky to those of you on the next cruise. Please read her post on the roll call and if interested respond in kind.

I will also try to find out about the Enclave.

I do not understand the question about scalloped potatoes. The Crown Grill had 3 potato choices; baked, French fries or mashed.

Donna: There is no way I would walk on that thing. I’m with Dennis. I can see the ocean just fine; don’t need to walk on water.

That’s about it for now.

Have no idea how or why the font changed midstream. :confused:

Hi David: Didn't see the Reflection, but did see the old Zenith.

We got off the ship and had to turn back. It was raining, the wind was blowing and for us bitterly cold. Mike was having a problem with the cold and the long walk down to the shuttle buses, so since there would really be nothing new for us here, we went back and had some hot coffee.

We will now spend the rest of the afternoon reading and relaxing and I'll check in again later if I have something to add. I did get some info about the Enclave, but my notes are not with me as I am posting this from the internet cafes computer.

I think I understand the scallop potato question (boy that sounds weird). We were on the Caribbean for two weeks in Sept. When we dined at the Crown grill they informed us that a few of the sides they use to offer they no longer do. One of them that they no longer offer is Scalloped potatoes. Also no more creamed corn. There may be another one but i can't recall.

They still offer mushrooms, asparagus, the three potato options Pia mentioned, creamed spinach - maybe more just can't recall right now.

Vickie

We went to the pop choir rehearsal and yes, the songs are the same. A note to Julia and Lynda on the next cruise. The director Stephanie would like you to contact her on the first pop choir day, so look for it in the Patter. I’m not sure whether or not I will remain in the aforementioned.

Pia we did 2 different pop choirs on our 17 day cruise a week ago. 2nd lot of songs included Can't take my eyes off You, hit the road Jack, that's Amore, under the boardwalk, la Bamba, New York New York , the love boat, somewhere over the rainbow.

Pia,

Loving your reviews. Can you ask Stephanie the pop choir gal if she is aware of our Rockin Royals song? Princess was supposed to let them know about it. I'd love to get together with her about it. We have a nice group to sing it

Thanks.

Eileen

I'm finally chiming in to thank Pia et al for the great information. I'm on the ship in about 26 days and can't wait.

One of our reasons for cruising is to dance every night. Can someone on board let me know what kind of ballroom dance opportunities there are? If it's a hassle, don't bother.

And no more creamed corn in the Crown Grill? Major bummer.

Thanks,

abby

One of our reasons for cruising is to dance every night. Can someone on board let me know what kind of ballroom dance opportunities there are? If it's a hassle, don't bother.

Thanks,

abby

This detailed thread may be of interest while you are awaiting a current update. It appears that the opportunities for ballroom-style dancing on Royal Princess are non-existant.

Skip to Post #51 for an actual report from an earlier voyage:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1849030

Edited by dmwnc1959

We can dance on marble - but absolutely not our favorite. I'd forgotten that I'd posted on the referenced thread. We can also dance to the party band, which we've done before when they were the better band. The report on dancing in the Piazza didn't surprise me.

Punki is a good friend, she called me to warn me when the thread started. Because we're only doing the 5 day cruise, I'm not going to sweat it too much, but I may never go back on the Royal. I'm now going to go find my ipod speakers and put them on my pack pile.

I do not understand the question about scalloped potatoes. The Crown Grill had 3 potato choices; baked, French fries or mashed.

. :confused:

In the past where they list their side there has always been the choice of Crown Grill Scalloped Potatoes, they are out of this world and I have told everyone about them. If they have stopped them this will certainly be a big disappointment. That's why I don't care for Ruth's Chris so much the steak is awesome but the potato options are awful. What can I say I am originally from Tennessee so a meat & potatoes kinda girl!!LOL

This shot must have been just as you were pulling away from the dock .

4istan4townview_zps147914f4.jpg

According to Marine Traffic she exited the port at 15:36 UTC which was about 20 minutes after the photo. Don't know how far the port entrance is from the pier. Edited by IECalCruiser

Amelia,

Thank you for posting your experiences while in port. I am loving reading your posts.

I will be posting some of my experiences as well when we board on Wednesday. Holli & I will miss you on this cruise.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Gotto Cruise ... I was just wondering about you two the other day, as I haven't seen any posts from you for a long time. Has it really been 19 years since we sailed around South America on the Regent Sea? I'll post my full signature so you can see where I've gone since then.

Pia, can you find out if they're showing the major league playoffs somewhere on board? My husband is a big Pirates and Braves fan, and is already complaining about missing his baseball and we've haven't even left home yet. rolleyes: Thanks for taking time to post until we can join you on the Royal in Venice!

Susan

I'm finally chiming in to thank Pia et al for the great information. I'm on the ship in about 26 days and can't wait.

And no more creamed corn in the Crown Grill? Major bummer.

Thanks,

abby

There is no more dancing in the Wheelhouse but the dancing will be in the Atrium (Piazza)

The band is very good. I have had to use other sources for my info. It seems that no

one on CC likes to dance. But there will be many for the TA. I will definitely be making

reports on the dancing conditions onboard.

Greg

I’m starting this with Enclave information since I don’t understand it and I want to write about what I found out before I forget it. There is only one spa selection that will give you the Enclave Pass and that is Couples Side by Side Massage for $269. If you buy that, you can get the pass for $39. The cost for the Enclave pass itself is $228 for one person; $328 for two. This is what it costs on this cruise and the person I spoke to said she doesn’t know yet what the charge will be for the 18 day cruise. She also said that whomever is interested had better board early and sign up quickly. Evidently they sell out almost immediately. Hope this give you the information you were seeking.

Good Saturday morning as we cruise towards Kusadasi. We are scheduled to arrive at noon and be in port for 7 hours. Kusadasi, the home of Ephesus. To me, it means Starbucks. And a visit of course to the small bazaar area where you can get a Genuine Fake Rolex. That’s the name of the shop. I just hope today’s weather is better than yesterday’s (it’s supposed to be, but nobody guarantees it.) BTW, did you know that Ephesus, which was once a seaport, is now six miles away from the sea?

As previously mentioned, we spent yesterday afternoon reading and then watching the movie (on our TV) “Now you See Me.” We liked it. Then we had wine time and six of us dined in HC. We went to see the show Sweet Soul Music, which was basically another singing show, but this one had the dancers doing some dancing. I am not impressed with either of them.

This morning is packed with things to do, lots of it conflicting with others. But since this will be the only day that there really is a morning (other than a sea day), they really need to get a lot in. Especially Bingo. There hasn’t been time for Bingo. Oh No! Well today, there will be a morning session, as well as another one at 8:45 tonight. Some morning activities are: zumba, two sessions of trivia, a Live Wake Show, pop choir rehearsal, Runway at Sea and an ice carving demo. Also, Toy Story on MUTS.

Inasmuch as most people will be off the ship, afternoon offerings are just about nil. Tonight there will be a Latin Deck Party beginning at 9:30 and two movies in the theater; Pain & Gain (too early at 7:00 PM) and “42” at 9:15.

Answers and Comments:

1. Scalloped potatoes; no, they are not there. And as Vickie said, the only vegetables are mushrooms, creamed spinach and asparagus.

2. Bogof1: Songs you mentioned, other than Under the Boardwalk, do not exist as yet. Same old Waterloo, Sweet Caroline, etc.

3. Eileen: See my post from yesterday. I asked Lynda or Julia and guess you are involved too, to see Stephanie. I should have been more explicit. This is to arrange for you girls to do the Rockin’ Royals song.

4. Abby: I wouldn’t know a dance if it hit me in the head. Sorry I cannot provide any info. And I know Punki too and I also know they love to dance.

5. Susan: I'll try to find out about baseball

6. Renee: Good to see you

7: Silver Cruiser: the photo you asked for was taken

Bye for now.

10-04-2013

Istanbul, Turkey

Woke up to brisk weather with a threatening sky and a 70% chance of rain. The sail into Istanbul is amazing, filled with Mosques and impressive buildings and as we approach the city the hills are filled with homes, cars, and much life. We dress warm and get ready quickly because today promises to be one of the best of the cruise. We hired Kagan Kosagan, a dear friend of mine and probably the best guide I have ever had! He is incredible, animated, knowledgable, and really loves his country and his job.

Our ship docks late and Kagan is waiting for us as we disembark at about 9am. After hugs and introductions, we hop in his roomy extra large van and head off to the Suleymaniye Mosque. This mosque is massive and very old, built in 1557 and designed to be a counterpoint to Aya Sophia. It is quite beautiful. As we enter the women are asked to cover their heads, this is not so much a tourist site like the blue Mosque and we all comply gladly. For me wearing the scarf only enhances my experience! Inside Kagan gathers us around and we learn many interesting facts about mosques and the Islamic way of life and prayer. This is a must see spot, especially if you have already seen the Blue Mosque.

Just outside the Mosque there are some stores selling souvenirs and Kagan tells us that this is a good place to buy things and probably cheaper than in the Grand Bazaar. We all shop for a few minutes and grab some nice items to bring home, the prices are unbelievable; 5 TL for a lovely Pashmina, 1 TL for some nice evil eye keychains and magnets. 1 TL equals 50 cents!

We now head to the Spice Bazaar, mostly because the traffic has become crazy although our driver is able to more through unbelievably tight spots. We are all amazed at his driving skills in light of the amount of cars, buses, scooters, and people. This country, like Italy, has lanes and other street markings which are only suggestions!

The Spice Bazaar is wonderful, you can buy every spice on earth here. Kagan suggests we try the Chicken and Beef Spice mixes, Turkish Delight that is open (not pre packed) and ask for samples. As we walk along an outside kitchen market which leads to the bazaar Kagan stops and buys us all Baklava which is delicious, not as sweet as the kinds from other countries and we all love it. When we get to the spice market, Kagan gives us an orientation, we synchronize our watches and determine a meeting time and off we go after deciding as a group to take a half hour here.

I am immediately assaulted with a cacophony of smells and barrels upon barrels of Turkish Delight, spices, olives, and more. In this market you can buy pure essential oils which are very strong, one dab lasts the whole day. I buy some Lotus oil for 15 TL (3 grams) and I choose two kinds of Turkish Delight which I have vacuum sealed for transporting home. It will probably get open before I get there but just in case, it's sealed for freshness!

Back In the van, we decide to go to the Grand Bazaar for shopping and to grab lunch. Kagan suggests that we visit Hagia Sophia In the afternoon when all the bus loads of tourists will be shopping at the bazaar, this is a great idea. We get to the bazaar quickly and after a quick orientation, we enter it at gate 1. Kagan tells us if we get lost to ask anybody where gate 1 is, he assures us the people in the market are not sharks and we find this to be quite true. We start off following Kagan as he points out the various markets in the bazaar like the gold market, the silver market, leather and even an antiques market. We get to a delightful restaurant inside the bazaar and after the owner shows us the food he has prepared for today, we head upstairs, put in our order, and settle down for a few minutes. The food is served almost immediately. I get a spicy beef dish and dolmas which are delicious. Others get spicy rice, Mousakka, and eggplant purée. The large basket of bread on the table is wonderful, much to the detriment of my diet!

After lunch, we head out and Kagan goes over directions, how to bargain (sweetly look into the eyes of the owner and tell him you only can spent what you want to spend in his lovely store) and off we go. He tells us we will not be able to stay together but somehow we do! Our group is well suited for each other, we are all good friends and have cruised many times together in the past. We all buy jewelry, and of course I buy some evil eyes!

Our final stop is Hagia Sophia. It is not as crowded as the bazaar and truly magnificent, it is over 1,500 years old. We learn many interesting facts about it, it was built in 5 years using a method of building the columns first then piling dirt up to the top and building the domes and top, removing the dirt afterwards. This technique enables them to accomplish much in a short period of time. We see amazing golden ceilings covered in frescos and mosaics, it is an unbelievable place and we are blown away by it!

Kagan gets up back to the ship with plenty of time to spare, we are all happy and filled with a sense of awe for this incredible city. I love Istanbul. I could go on and on about this incredible day, but I need to get dressed for Kusadasi, if anybody has any questions please ask!

Till tomorrow,

Amelia

It's noon and we are going to miss Kusadasi. Seas are choppy and captain just made announcement that wind is 40 knots and he has tried, but cannot deliver us safely into port. There goes my Starbucks. Too bad for those who have never been here, but these things do happen. Just wanted to give update. We will probably watch a movie in our cabin. Later. Or whenever.

Hi Pia,

I was watching the ship on Marine Traffic. Sorry to hear about the missed port, it looks like they got really close too! Hope you enjoy this extra Sea Day.

I'd love to hear more about your dining experiences and impressions of the different venues aboard ship if you get the chance.

David

My impressions and experiences on the Royal so far...

When I boarded this ship I immediately fell in love with many features. I really like the rooms, although they are small they are designed pleasantly. The showers are larger, and there is a step in them that enables me to shave my legs. The TV is huge and the system is great because you can choose what you want to watch, when you want to watch it.

There is no longer an elite set up, don't expect any Q tips. Cotton balls, lip balm, nail files, loofa scrub, and anything else they used to leave for us elites. They also no longer give us upgraded towels, and there are also no moe bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. There are shampoo and body gel dispensers in the showers, and they give tubes of them as well once but they do not replace them.

Our toilet was not working very well the day we boarded and by the next day it had completely stopped flushing. I reported it early in the morning, then went off on an excursion and we we returned in the late afternoon it still was not flushing. I guess they are not cleaning the toilets daily? I had to call again, and again to get the toilet working. Our friends are having a problem with their toilet as well.

Our luggage was damaged by Princess at the port an some of my clothing fell out or got taken. I filled out a damage and loss report and was told that I should handle it with Princess once I get home. You know what that means, I will have to hassle with them and if I don't give up, I might get the cost of the luggage replaced. Meanwhile, I will have to take it upon myself to buy new luggage somewhere along this cruise so I can get home!

The traditional dining room is very closed in and the open concept is gone. We were assigned to a dark corner, facing an ugly wall, and had to leave that dining room for one of the anytime dining rooms because I can't stand being closed in like that.

The web cam in my room does not have the announcements, I've reported it several times and it still does not work. I have to open the door to the hall in order to hear the announcements, and we keep missing important announcements.

We missed the port of Kusadasi today but nobody could hear the announcements because the string quartet did not stop playing. There are still many kinks and problems with this ship that need to be ironed out!