Beverage Package Price Increase On Board

pmfm

I forgot about the internet. My husband keeps up with work while on vacation so I think the internet package will probably use up a decent amount of the OBC that we have left after the gratuities.

And a good bottle of wine (with our 30% discount ;) ) will use up the rest! :D

Thanks for all of the responses and ideas!

You can use OBC for specialty restaurants.

I think Celebrity would be acting in extreme bad faith in all of these promos the fine print it says you can upgrade for $11.50. My invoice from them even shows this. We told them day 1 we would be upgrading and it's always been you'll be charged the $11.50 onboard.

Big scheme of things it's not a lot of money, but if this is how Celebrity operates, I want no part of it.

I have just upgraded on the phone for our cruise in 2 weeks time. Prices will change on Infinity on Monday 30th. I only upgraded not my hubby and this was ok. but remember I am in UK and rules may be different elsewhere. Allison

We're in uk and just phoned Celebrity who emphatically stated that we couldn't upgrade over the phone (cruising Eclipse 6 Oct) and that we can upgrade to premium package at any bar for $11.50. Still not convinced, Allison, who did you speak to?

Hi All

We contacted our TA in UK a couple of days ago asking to be upgraded from the free Classic package to the Premium. He told us we have to do this onboard and cannot do this in advance. The price he quoted on board was the 10:50 as many have suggested.

we will be a bit peed off if Celebrity have upped this price and will just stick with the Classic.

The reason we are cruising this time with Celebrity and not P and O is due to the latter having too many cutbacks, I hope Celebrity are not changing the rules mid game.

However in the scheme of things this issue ranks pretty low against what is happening in the world so que sera sera.

:)

We too have enquired about upgrading from the (included) Classic to the Premium package, and were told, absolutely with no exception, it had to be done on board. The guy I spoke to said it was because of how the promo was calculated and shown on your invoice, the only way to get the Premium before sailing would be to pay in full! Of course, he didn't advise this,lol, and said to just go to any bar once we were on board and do it then, at a cost of $11.50/day

I'd be very unhappy if this was not the case, especially as I'm happy to pay for it now :(

Has anyone else had any success in upgrading before sailing from the UK?

Lou

We upgraded from the Classic(included) to Premium for our cruise next March on the Eclipse. We were charged the $11.50 a day more per person for our 14 night cruise. We were told it's only more money if you do it onboard. You have to phone Cruise Enhancement dept. & they will do it over the phone as long as your cruise is not within 4 days.

Edited by If only

Not so from the UK apparently!

I've just got off the phone with Celebrity, and the person I spoke to checked with their supervisor, who confirmed, again, that this cannot be done for UK guests before sailing. I did make the point, very politely, that it seemed a bit unfair that we would have to pay the increased price if we had to wait until we got on board, even though I was more than happy to give them my money today :)

She was very nice about it, and made some notes on our booking, and said she would check further tomorrow (unable to speak to who she wanted to as it was Sunday) and ring me back.

I'll report further once I've had a call back

Lou

Colrabi I definitely paid it yesterday on the phone and have the invoice in my emails. And Scotland is definitely still part of UK at the moment lol Lou I replied to your posting on our roll call.

I spoke to a lovely lady called Hayley who then put me through the to person who took the payment.

Does anyone know when this new price was announced? I'm sailing tomorrow so even if people in uk and Ireland could pay in advance, I couldn't. I'm wondering if it was announced within 4 days of the 30th?

I think you're ok if you're sailing before Oct. 1.

I would try to just upgrade with a bartender on the ship and if they try to charge you more than $11.50 then I would go to guest services and nicely but firmly explain that you couldn't upgrade before the cruise. I still think they they are interested in good customer service and (even if you need to speak to the Hotel Manager) as long as you keep it pleasant they will accommodate.

Let us all know, please!

I spoke to a very helpful person called Nicky today in the UK she could not upgrade but commented that there was an email a couple of days ago and one of her colleague is looking in to it and will be back on Monday.

I have already emailed the website customer service address and intend to call the uk tomorrow.

I think everyone from the uk should send an email and try to call tomorrow to let them know that there could be rather a lot of unhappy Brits on their ships in the next few weeks!

Hi Everyone,

Celebrity responded to my inquiry, and I was advised the upgrade rate has increased, if you purchase the package onboard. The new rate is $15.00 per person per day, plus 15% gratuity for a total of $17.25 per person, per day.

Please keep in mind, the upgrade rate remains at $11.50 per person per day, $10.00 + $1.50 gratuity if you purchase in advance. The deadline for advance purchase, is 4 days prior to your sailing date, and can be purchased by contacting Celebrity or your Travel Agent.

I realize that some may not be pleased with this information. The good news is, there remains a way to avoid paying the increase, which is by purchasing the upgrade in advance.

My thanks to Celebrity for providing the information. I hope this is helpful !

Does anyone know when this new price was announced? I'm sailing tomorrow so even if people in uk and Ireland could pay in advance, I couldn't. I'm wondering if it was announced within 4 days of the 30th?

Hi Betterthanvegas,

I'm hearing it was announced on September 20th, so I suspect you may be paying the higher price onboard. I agree with Chamima's advice above, though I'd ask to speak with a Bar Manager, and see if they might accomdate the 11.50 rate. As I always say on here, it never hurts to ask. I wish I had better news for you. Good Luck !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

Celebrity responded to my inquiry, and I was advised the upgrade rate has increased, if you purchase the package onboard. The new rate is $15.00 per person per day, plus 15% gratuity for a total of $17.25 per person, per day.

Please keep in mind, the upgrade rate remains at $11.50 per person per day, $10.00 + $1.50 gratuity if you purchase in advance. The deadline for advance purchase, is 4 days prior to your sailing date, and can be purchased by contacting Celebrity or your Travel Agent.

I realize that some may not be pleased with this information. The good news is, there remains a way to avoid paying the increase, which is by purchasing the upgrade in advance.

Thanks Andy, so basically anyone with a free package should phone in advance and pay for the upgrade if they want Premium.

Hi Everyone,

So can only one person in a cabin upgrade? Prior to sail date?

So can only one person in a cabin upgrade? Prior to sail date?

Unfortunately no. In order to purchase in advance, both guests must purchase the upgrade.

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks Andy, so basically anyone with a free package should phone in advance and pay for the upgrade if they want Premium.

Hi Cruise Junky,

Assuming both guests desire the upgrade, I certainly would advise guests to make the purchase in advance. IMO, it's a no brainer. With that said, there are a handful of situations where it becomes tricky (i.e. when only 1 guest desires the upgrade). At that point, it becomes a personal choice.

Host Andy, Hi there, I only upgraded myself and not my husband. I am now thinking that I have been really lucky when phoning yesterday. Allison

Hi Allison,

I tried to do the upgrade when I booked and was told that I could only do it on board. I do have an email from the captains club saying this detailing the upgrade price which I suspect has now been overtaken by this price rise.

Was your booking via a TA or direct with Celebrity?

If via a TA what number did you call?

Regards

Gordon

Unfortunately no. In order to purchase in advance, both guests must purchase the upgrade.

Andy, I never doubt the accuracy of your information. I will just say that a few weeks ago, when I called Celebrity to upgrade a beverage package (from Classic to Premium) that we'd just selected under the current promo, I was asked whether both my spouse and I wanted to upgrade. Since we did, I did not pursue whether it was possible for only one person to upgrade, but the question posed to me suggests that it is (or might be, or who knows!! :)).

With Celebrity, it's always worth asking! (Again, I'm not doubting you, just recounting that recent conversation.)

Andy, I never doubt the accuracy of your information. I will just say that a few weeks ago, when I called Celebrity to upgrade a beverage package (from Classic to Premium) that we'd just selected under the current promo, I was asked whether both my spouse and I wanted to upgrade. Since we did, I did not pursue whether it was possible for only one person to upgrade, but the question posed to me suggests that it is (or might be, or who knows!! :)).

With Celebrity, it's always worth asking! (Again, I'm not doubting you, just recounting that recent conversation.)

Except that we all know that each customer service rep gives a different answer.

Probably official policy is that both must upgrade but all one needs to do is keep calling back till you get a rep that will upgrade only one person.

(Doesn't affect us either since we'll both be upgrading.)

The only thing I'm worried about is timing.

I'm worried they'll raise the price AGAIN.

If I upgrade now will it be on my final bill or will it be on my credit card now?

Our final payment isn't until the end of Nov and I'd prefer to pay it all in one lump sum.