Resident rates

NoobCruise

I'm looking at booking at one of the big online TAs. They have a resident rate for California that is a couple hundred cheaper than the regular rate. 3 of us are from California and 1 from Colorado. If I'm booking and paying for everyone, can I book it under the California rate for everyone, or will they make me pay some back for the 1 from Colorado?

I can only answer with certainty regarding RCI. If you are all staying in the same stateroom then yes, as only one person in the stateroom needs to qualify as a resident of that state. If you are in multiple staterooms then you will need to book it so as at least one of the CA residents is in each stateroom booked. But it has nothing to do with who is paying - only that one person in each stateroom would be a resident of that state.

And BTW the TA has nothing to do with the residency rate - if a given residency rate is offered, that is a discount issued by RCI, regardless of how booked.

I believe you will find that true with all of the mass market lines. One person in each stateroom must qualify for a rate. Others in the same cabin get that rate also. It can be resident, military, teacher, fire, police, past guest, whatever.

Charlie

I believe you will find that true with all of the mass market lines. One person in each stateroom must qualify for a rate. Others in the same cabin get that rate also. It can be resident, military, teacher, fire, police, past guest, whatever.

Charlie

Don't forget the senior rate too.

Teacher..does that include a student teacher too ?..DS is a full time college student doing his student teaching requirement..

Teacher..does that include a student teacher too ?..DS is a full time college student doing his student teaching requirement..

Doubtful. Here's from another travel site:

Qualifying teachers will be required to submit a photocopy of teacher's certification, union card or letter from principal on school letterhead.

Charlie

Which cruiselines give teacher rates?

Different lines at different times. Just like resident, military, fireman, etc., etc. Costa, HAL and NCL have some on right now. Often they aren't all that great of a discount; sometimes they are.

And just like other discounts, they are available only on certain sailings and certain cabin categories.

There is at least one online TA that has a section for the various discounts. CC guidelines prohibit the discussion or recommendation of any TA.

Charlie

I've always wondered about those "Resident Rates".....what is the purpose, besides obviously, more sales?

Is it to offer a deal to those in close proximity to a port of embarkation, or is it to offer a deal to attract those coming from afar?

Those resident rates are offered a lot to Illinois residents....I always thought it was because fewer people from those states cruised....but I don't know for sure.

I've always wondered about those "Resident Rates".....what is the purpose, besides obviously, more sales?

Is it to offer a deal to those in close proximity to a port of embarkation, or is it to offer a deal to attract those coming from afar?

I'm looking at a Caribbean cruise so flying from California to Florida.

I have booked many cruises from Florida but being a resident of Calif....the only resident rate I have ever received was on cruises to Alaska and Mexico. Just seems like we out here on the west coast don't get many offered :(

I teach part time and do not use the rate because I get pass user, military and senior rates. But, as I understand it, as long as you have a letter head from the school or district that you teach in they will accept it.

I have Cruised from both California and Florida and lived in both places. They do not provide them on every cruise. I think they look at the cruise and if they decided that not too many people are coming for afar, then they offer the rate to fill up with locals.

Archived