Upgrading Internet Service!

findacruise

Good to know as we will be doing that itinerary. Did you do a review of your cruise? If so, would love to see it.

I did not do a review, but did some posting while a aboard, until I ended up so busy I didn't have time. I would be glad to answser any questions you might have. The cruise was enhanced by the presence of NPR on board doing lectures, informal meetings and sharing meals. One, if not the very best, enrichment program I have experienced.

Joanna

RallyDave--

The winter brochure you are referring to--is that on the website, or is it a hard copy? We seem to never receive anything in the mail, and we are Silver. I always have to order a brochure from the website so I have a hard copy, and it doesn't seem to be the most up to date. (Anyone else out there being ignored as far as receiving printed material?)

Thanks, Rally, if you can shed some light.....:)

Sheltieluv, have been out of pocket most of today and now I see that many people are discussing this issue so I will try to answer all in this message.

First to newlondon, Think I have been vindicated for what I said about my brochure and for you, sheltieluv and others will better identify the brochure.

It strangely came inside an envelope and got 2 a couple of days apart with nothing indicating a Travel Agents name. One was addressed to myself and DW like Regent always and the other addressed to myself or resident which is unusual. The title is Exclusive Preview 2014-2015 Winter Collection and the first cruise inside is on Oct. 31 It is totally different than any brochure I have seen from Regent as no TA is on the envelope or brochure. It says bookings open on Oct. 9. The brochure number is 2014-2015 Winter Collection.

As to the person who thought theirs came from their TA, not true, Regent simply prints the TA's name and phone number and we haven't dealt with the TA on most of our mailings for almost 3 years.

Also believe we are all talking a little past each other as Regent sends out so many similar brochures and for sure we got no letter and no mention anywhere about Silver WiFi going to gold or not. Only found it by looking at the SSS description inside the back cover.

We are silver and have not received the mentioned letter either. I'm thinking that the Regent marketing department as usual is having issues with sending out too many brochures and not making sure they are accurate and also for sure they are not going out to everyone. When Explorer was announced a lot of people received notification and a lot didn't. Regent marketing, you really need to get your act together. Confusing too many people and possibly losing customers rather than keeping them happy customers.

Thanks for all the info, Dave. We get a lot of brochures and haven't cruised with Regent for two years now. I guess I assumed the brochure came from our TA since they are identified on the mailing. Thanks for setting me straight.

I guess most of my logical (in my own mind) assumptions were wrong. ;)

Jacki

Aloha All,

I am still perplexed by the fact that so many passengers find internet service onboard, whether "free" or not, such a crucial part of the Regent experience. I've spent far too much of my working life looking at a computer (and still do everyday!); thus, when we are on vacation, I have little desire to be online; I check in once a day and then leave it alone. For us, the whole purpose of the trip is to take a complete break from our usual grind.

As an aside, I am often amused when I hear visitors to our cafe in Hanalei complain vehemently about the fact that we do not provide free Wi-Fi.

My wife has posted a sign which states: Hanalei Unplugged: Yes, sorry, but we are a wire-LESS cafe. Please enjoy your stay by connecting with the moment, not the net.

I've seen more than a few people look at this sign, shake their head slightly, smile, put their phone in their pocket and look out at the waterfalls!

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

People use the free internet for different reasons. We can view our left behind dogs on the web cam at their kennel. We had the best time keeping up with some Tiger games at the MLB website. So glad we are still going to be able to do that, in steerage! Thank you Regent!!

Thanks for all the info, Dave. We get a lot of brochures and haven't cruised with Regent for two years now. I guess I assumed the brochure came from our TA since they are identified on the mailing. Thanks for setting me straight.

I guess most of my logical (in my own mind) assumptions were wrong. ;)

Jacki

If you are responding to rallydave, I believe that he has not cruised with Regent for two years either. The brochures that appear to be from your TA are actually from Regent. Their computer program automatically prints your travel agent of record on your mailing.

LindaM: I certainly understand the need to be in touch with your petsitter. We had one cat pass away while we were on a Regent cruise and another in critical condition. However, we would have not blinked an eye if we had to pay to be in contact (as we just did while on Silversea). IMO, there is no price that is too high to pay to be in contact with our family and/or caregiver of our feline/canine little ones.

Just for the record for, while I haven't cruised Regent in about 2 years, what I post with information and facts is only what I can post that does not rely on having cruised Regent recently. I will not post information or facts that requires me to have cruised Regent recently.

Thanks all for understanding,

Very interesting -- assume you are in a concierge level suite and not a Silver Seven Seas Society member? If this is the case, you may have hit the jackpot since the new program will only allow up to 500 minutes.:)

newlondon: We are eligible for 9 hours (I think -- we are Platinum) of phone time and used it on only one occasion for ourselves. In case of an emergency it is a very good benefit to have. Another time a woman was concerned about her family that lived where a storm hit. I let her to use our phone to make sure that her family was okay (thankfully they were).

I do not believe that Silver members will be grandfathered. It appears that they have a year to bring themselves up to Gold level. If Mr. Kamlani is reading this thread, perhaps he can clarify for us.

Current silver members will continue to receive Free Unlimited Internet. Additionally we will provide the same benefit to anyone who reaches Silver Status by 9/30/14. The goal was to provide enough lead time (one year) for those aspiring to reach Silver to do so before we enacted the change.

Best-

KSK

If you are responding to rallydave, I believe that he has not cruised with Regent for two years either. The brochures that appear to be from your TA are actually from Regent. Their computer program automatically prints your travel agent of record on your mailing.

LindaM: I certainly understand the need to be in touch with your petsitter. We had one cat pass away while we were on a Regent cruise and another in critical condition. However, we would have not blinked an eye if we had to pay to be in contact (as we just did while on Silversea). IMO, there is no price that is too high to pay to be in contact with our family and/or caregiver of our feline/canine little ones.

I believe we paid $8/minute to call our vet from the Fjords in Norway. It was so frustrating because we had to be in an area where the signal wasn't blocked by mountains.

Current silver members will continue to receive Free Unlimited Internet. Additionally we will provide the same benefit to anyone who reaches Silver Status by 9/30/14. The goal was to provide enough lead time (one year) for those aspiring to reach Silver to do so before we enacted the change.

Best-

KSK

To my way of thinking this is a very reasonable solution to a problem that has been growing over the past 3 years or so; too many holders of free internet service causing over crowding at times and also too much of a diminishment of revenue service fees. Well thought out Regent. :)

I believe we paid $8/minute to call our vet from the Fjords in Norway. It was so frustrating because we had to be in an area where the signal wasn't blocked by mountains.

The no cost telephone time is a great perc in my opinion. We use it for staying in contact with our family and also retrieving our phone messages from our home line. Much, much faster than internet....:D

I understood Dave's explanation just fine. Thanks for reiterating what he said.

Jacki

I understood Dave's explanation just fine. Thanks for reiterating what he said.

Jacki

Sorry -- my computer settings do not allow me to see all posts. Therefore there are times when I repeat what someone else has said. Although this is slightly frustrating, the new settings work extremely well most of the time:o

Borntocruz/Rallydave--

Thanks for your replies re. the winter brochure.

As far as using a travel agent, yes, I do, but am in the process of searching out a new agent for our next booking. I receive more literature from Oceania (via the agent) than anything, and we've never cruised with them. The only Regent info I receive from her is via her company website, and it usually includes offers from other lines as well. (To be fair, she just recently replaced our previous agent who left the company, so I haven't dealt with her all that much.)

The first time we cruised Regent was in 2006; we seemed to receive hard copy brochures from them regularly for some time, but they have certainly dwindled down to nothing unless I request them via the website, and when I do, I can't tell which brochure I'll be receiving because the site doesn't indicate what will be sent, other than supposedly the "most recent," which certainly hasn't been the case (as in the winter brochure some people received).

At any rate, I assumed that Regent would continue to market themselves more diligently. It's strange how some people are buried in brochures from frequent mailings, and others receive nothing. It even sounds like emails are sporadic, with not everyone receiving the same offers/information.:confused:

Aloha All,

I am still perplexed by the fact that so many passengers find internet service onboard, whether "free" or not, such a crucial part of the Regent experience. I've spent far too much of my working life looking at a computer (and still do everyday!); thus, when we are on vacation, I have little desire to be online; I check in once a day and then leave it alone. For us, the whole purpose of the trip is to take a complete break from our usual grind.

As an aside, I am often amused when I hear visitors to our cafe in Hanalei complain vehemently about the fact that we do not provide free Wi-Fi.

My wife has posted a sign which states: Hanalei Unplugged: Yes, sorry, but we are a wire-LESS cafe. Please enjoy your stay by connecting with the moment, not the net.

I've seen more than a few people look at this sign, shake their head slightly, smile, put their phone in their pocket and look out at the waterfalls!

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

I can tell you there are many reasons for intenet on vacation. Some of us have to stay in touch with work. That is how we can afford Regents! Also, the peace of mind that there will not be thousands of e-mails waiting for us on the first day back at work. Obviously a preference. Some are doctors as well that have to be available for patients. I find there are high salary households that make sure there is easy internet access before investing in a vacation. Seems to me a business would want to make sure and reach this target market. I was watching an interview on CNBC with the ceo of Ritz Carlton. The question was asked why does he charge for internet while low end hotels do not. He said low end hotels do not have a doorman and other services Ritz Carlton invest in. Would love free internet but if we have to pay for the service then fine. (rather not though). When I do pay for internet at a hotel or cruise ship. I expect good internet service. As you would for an expensive dinner, etc. Don't charge a high premium without making sure your service backs up the price.

Just to expand a tiny bit on PUNTA MITA's post, there are also articles and advertisements for many upscale and luxury resorts where you must give up all electronic equipment. It appears that a vacation from instant access to everything may become popular in the future.

Unfortunately, "good internet service" is not currently available on most ships. I truly wonder how some people managed before the internet the cell phones.

Just to expand a tiny bit on PUNTA MITA's post, there are also articles and advertisements for many upscale and luxury resorts where you must give up all electronic equipment. It appears that a vacation from instant access to everything may become popular in the future.

Unfortunately, "good internet service" is not currently available on most ships. I truly wonder how some people managed before the internet the cell phones.

Not trying to debate BUT before there was internet and cell phones, there were 3 people doing my job....

TC2, in response to your comment, "I truly wonder how some people managed before the internet the cell phones", I would reply that it is much the same as before there was radio, television, airplanes, etc. As each technological advance comes in to our lives, we "adapt" and live our lives accordingly.

For us, we would never have been able to take the longer cruises on Regent and other lines if we did not have access to the internet. We have work that must be completed when we are on a ship and be need to be able to stay in touch with our office. The included time on the telephone on Regent was an added bonus that we used to telephone family, be in touch with family/friends who were celebrating birthdays, etc.

That being said, we include the cost of internet and telephone when we are budgeting for sailing on other lines (just as we include the cost of any shore excursion, etc.). We are thankful that there is the technology available!

TC2, in response to your comment, "I truly wonder how some people managed before the internet the cell phones", I would reply that it is much the same as before there was radio, television, airplanes, etc. As each technological advance comes in to our lives, we "adapt" and live our lives accordingly.

For us, we would never have been able to take the longer cruises on Regent and other lines if we did not have access to the internet. We have work that must be completed when we are on a ship and be need to be able to stay in touch with our office. The included time on the telephone on Regent was an added bonus that we used to telephone family, be in touch with family/friends who were celebrating birthdays, etc.

That being said, we include the cost of internet and telephone when we are budgeting for sailing on other lines (just as we include the cost of any shore excursion, etc.). We are thankful that there is the technology available!

Really made that comment tongue in cheek, however, there are several resorts offering old fashioned vacations -- sort of a "new/old" concept. We actually were traveling internationally before internet was available everywhere. I remember walking down the street in Phuket, Thailand to send a fax to work (this was in the late 1980's).

PUNTA MITA's post was interesting. I now wonder how many jobs were lost due to computer technology?

Anyway, in a couple of years people can post about the old days when computers on ships could be so slow that dial-up at home was faster.:)

Hell, when I started travelling, I communicated with family back home via airmail and postcards. Long distance telephone was available of course, but was expensive and considered only a last resort. I was gone for 9 months.

When I started cruising in 2000, I took advantage of the remote South Pacific location to completely unplug from an office that ran on email--I had no desire to read it.

But when I got my first smartphone in 2010, I had a great time posting to this forum from it. Being a technology geek, I admit I prefer to be connected, but there's little practical reason for that--there's always the cruise ship phone for emergencies.

Archived