Upgrading Internet Service!

findacruise

Question- when Regent says ipad in room for penthouse and higher, does the ipad have free internet access or what is the ipad good for in room?

I can tell you that you don't get free internet with the ipad. You pay for it or get it free based on your SSS level. I can't tell you what the ipay is good for as I have no use for one.

You do pay for the internet connection - even with the iPad. However, passengers who receive the iPad are concierge level passengers and will receive 500 minutes of included internet time when the new policy takes place (October according to the Press Release).

My experience with the iPad isn't great. The best connection seems to be when you are close to the computer room. Hopefully the upgraded internet system will make it easier to use the iPad in your suite -- unfortunately we will have to wait a year for the upgraded Wi-Fi but it will be great when it finally happens.

We are going on our first cruise the 1st of November. Sounds odd Regent offers an ipad as part of the amenities, but not useful without interent. For a 10 day cruise, how much is unlimited internet by day?

Unfortunately, they do not offer unlimited internet by the day. I am curious why you would not receive 500 minutes of internet in November under their new plan?

Under the current internet plan, the following are the packages you can purchase (as of July, 2013). The cost could change when the new plan is implemented.

Time Plan #1: $0.45 per minute - 100 minutes for $45.00

Time Plan #2: $0.35 per minute - 250 minutes for $87.50

Time Plan #3: $0.25 per minute - 800 minutes for $200.00

Pay As You Go: $0.75 per minute

Unfortunately, they do not offer unlimited internet by the day. I am curious why you would not receive 500 minutes of internet in November under their new plan?

Under the current internet plan, the following are the packages you can purchase (as of July, 2013). The cost could change when the new plan is implemented.

Time Plan #1: $0.45 per minute - 100 minutes for $45.00

Time Plan #2: $0.35 per minute - 250 minutes for $87.50

Time Plan #3: $0.25 per minute - 800 minutes for $200.00

Pay As You Go: $0.75 per minute

I appreciate all of your info. As I read it, sounds like the new program starts next October?

FYI Punta Mita, according to Regent the new plan according to the blog linked in the 2nd post on this thread won't go into effect until November 2014 so you will not get the free internet next month.

Also, those who are posting that next November 2014 when the policy changes, it is NOT 500 minutes free, it is UP TO 500 free minutes depending on the length of the cruise so most probably 500 minutes for the longest cruises with a reduction the shorter the cruises get get. Nothing is yet posted about how many minutes for what length cruise.

Don't know why some people post as facts information that is not correct when all they need to do in this case is read the link in Post 2 of this thread????

Sorry for the bad news but, those are the facts and can be read in the blog linked in Post 2

Below is the information regarding pricing for the internet starting Nov. 2014 including new unlimited internet pricing.

The number of free Internet minutes received will be based on the length of the voyage, and includes one log-in per suite that may be used on one device at a time. The log-in can be used on a variety of devices.

There are 200 free minutes for one- to seven-night voyages, 300 or eight to 10 nights, 400 for 11 to 15 nights, and 500 for 16 nights and longer.

Once onboard, guests in Concierge-level suites and higher can upgrade to an unlimited package at a discounted rate of $14.99 per day, which is half of the standard package rate of $29.99. When the minutes are used up, they can purchase additional Internet time for 99 cents per minute plus a one-time activation fee of $3.95 or $160 per 200-minute package plus a one-time activation fee of $3.95.

Guests in Deluxe or Window Suites can purchase Wi-Fi onboard for 99 cents per minute, plus a one-time activation fee, of $3.95, $160 per 200-minute package, plus a the $3.95 activation fee or $29.99 per day for unlimited minutes with no activation fee. Guests in select Seven Seas, Society tiers are eligible to receive free unlimited Wi-Fi Internet access.

No worries. Everyone is just trying to be helpful. The info on the cost is helpful. I could not find that info anywhere. I am sure it is on their site but could not find. Now I know. Like I said, I do find it odd they advertise free ipad in penthouse room but no internet to use it. Reminds me of Christmas morning when parents would forget to buy the batteries for our new toys!

No worries. Everyone is just trying to be helpful. The info on the cost is helpful. I could not find that info anywhere. I am sure it is on their site but could not find. Now I know. Like I said, I do find it odd they advertise free ipad in penthouse room but no internet to use it. Reminds me of Christmas morning when parents would forget to buy the batteries for our new toys!

Oh no they have internet......you just have to pay to use it! Simple Regent has provided the iPad with you suite, but you need to decide if you want to use it :)

I appreciate all of your info. As I read it, sounds like the new program starts next October?

After reading your post I reread the Press Release. It does look like the new program starts in October, 2014 - not 2013. When I saw "October", my first thought was this month:) It's great that they are giving passengers such long notice -- in case they are hoping to become "Gold" in the next 12 months. A year is a long time to wait for the "concierge" benefit.

nana541: You can also use the iPad to play games:-)

"Land Programs" will be included for concierge level passengers while non-concierge passengers will pay $499/person. Not particularly a big deal IMO. Although I have had issues with Regent's concierge program in the past, as long as programs do not separate passengers on board, I've learned to live with it.

Well drat! I'm not a game player. When I used an iPad last time I was on Mariner the ---- Internet on board would boot me off every 10 min or so and it was a pain to have log back in and go thru the start up, hopefully they have that whole issue fixed now.

Well drat! I'm not a game player. When I used an iPad last time I was on Mariner the ---- Internet on board would boot me off every 10 min or so and it was a pain to have log back in and go thru the start up, hopefully they have that whole issue fixed now.

I agree that using the iPad in your suite in a waste of time. Unfortunately I don't think this issue will be fixed for another year:o

We used our own IPad last spring on Voyager and had problems only when there were problems all around. I.E. I'd have them on my phone at the same time. This was during Beijing to Bangkok cruise. Our Ipad is only WiFi capable.

We used our own IPad last spring on Voyager and had problems only when there were problems all around. I.E. I'd have them on my phone at the same time. This was during Beijing to Bangkok cruise. Our Ipad is only WiFi capable.

Good to know as we will be doing that itinerary. Did you do a review of your cruise? If so, would love to see it.

After reading your post I reread the Press Release. It does look like the new program starts in October, 2014 - not 2013. When I saw "October", my first thought was this month:) It's great that they are giving passengers such long notice -- in case they are hoping to become "Gold" in the next 12 months. A year is a long time to wait for the "concierge" benefit.

We are in April med cruise and as perks, we are getting free unlimited Internet. Go figure. Maybe testing it out.

RallyDave, Back to the sin bin. The brochure and accompanying letter clearly states--not even in fine print that current silver get unlimited Wi-Fi.

In addition, something I've never used 1 hr of free telephone time.

Got the brochure twice and no letter and in the back the listing of SSS benefits shows free wifi for gold. This is the brochure for winter 2014-2015 starting 10/31/2014. Either you have another version for different dates or Regent marketing strikes again. 100% sure of this

We are in April med cruise and as perks, we are getting free unlimited Internet. Go figure. Maybe testing it out.

Very interesting -- assume you are in a concierge level suite and not a Silver Seven Seas Society member? If this is the case, you may have hit the jackpot since the new program will only allow up to 500 minutes.:)

newlondon: We are eligible for 9 hours (I think -- we are Platinum) of phone time and used it on only one occasion for ourselves. In case of an emergency it is a very good benefit to have. Another time a woman was concerned about her family that lived where a storm hit. I let her to use our phone to make sure that her family was okay (thankfully they were).

I do not believe that Silver members will be grandfathered. It appears that they have a year to bring themselves up to Gold level. If Mr. Kamlani is reading this thread, perhaps he can clarify for us.

RallyDave--

The winter brochure you are referring to--is that on the website, or is it a hard copy? We seem to never receive anything in the mail, and we are Silver. I always have to order a brochure from the website so I have a hard copy, and it doesn't seem to be the most up to date. (Anyone else out there being ignored as far as receiving printed material?)

Thanks, Rally, if you can shed some light.....:)

We received the brochure and letter. In the letter in bold type is the following paragraph:

"As a Silver Level member, you will continue to receive the Society's exclusive benefit of FREE UNLIMITED Internet in any suit category with no activation fees as you always have."

The letter is signed by Mr. Kamlani.

I may be wrong, but it occurs to me that perhaps only current Silver level members received this info since silver is the level that could potentially be affected by this change.

Jacki

RallyDave--

The winter brochure you are referring to--is that on the website, or is it a hard copy? We seem to never receive anything in the mail, and we are Silver. I always have to order a brochure from the website so I have a hard copy, and it doesn't seem to be the most up to date. (Anyone else out there being ignored as far as receiving printed material?)

Thanks, Rally, if you can shed some light.....:)

If I may........;)

The brochure I have is hard copy. I believe it came from our travel agent as the envelope says "for reservations call...." and our travel agent info is listed.

Do you work with a travel agent, Sheltieluv? Does this shed any light? Hope it helps. :)

Jacki

We received the brochure and letter. In the letter in bold type is the following paragraph:

"As a Silver Level member, you will continue to receive the Society's exclusive benefit of FREE UNLIMITED Internet in any suit category with no activation fees as you always have."

The letter is signed by Mr. Kamlani.

glad to see they are grandfathering this stuff.

We rarely receive Regent brochures. When we do, our TA's information is on it. I wonder if there are less mailings going out to passengers who are already booked on one or more cruises?

It sounds like some of the mailings went out before the announcement and some after. This would account for the conflicting information.

We are silver and have not received a brochure or letter. However, on the website under Seven Seas Society Benefits at the bottom the footnote states: †Guests who attain Silver-level by 9/30/14 will continue to receive the FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi Internet Access benefit. As of 10/1/14 the FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi Internet Access benefit will apply to guests who obtain Gold and above status.

Archived