Upgrading Internet Service!

findacruise

This link provides details of plans to upgrade Regent's internet service by the end of the year. Yeah! It also tells of plans to provide free 500 minutes to concierge and above beginning 2014-15 sailings. SEe below for details:

http://********************/regent-seven-seas-cruises-to-expand-its-all-inclusive-product-offering-with-free-wi-fi-luxury-lines-fleet-to-receive-multi-million-internet-upgrade/

Now if they can just make it so you don't have to go through 5 screens every time you want to log on. You currently have to keep clicking through pages to "purchase" free time.

Sure, they could make it easy with a radius server to authenticate...with credentials entered on one screen.

More important is that I'm sure a price increase will be tucked into the upper class fares somewhere.

Worse is the idea that by giving away more and more "freebies" based on how high up they book, causes a bit of resentment for those loyalists who have been with Regent for years, some exclusively, having their long time societies points virtually diluted. And I don't see any corresponding reduction in fares for us..Higher fares with more restrictions if anything.

In essence, the newbies get the icing while those who kept feeding them for years get less.

Just got a brochure from Regent in the mail for Winter 2014-2015 and the dreaded asterisk is there only this time it is a different symbol and it is a little different that people have said.

I'll provide the exact wording.

First of all, free internet is no longer a silver perk, it has been moved up to gold level and nothing replaces it on Silver level.

Wording is "Applies to Concierge Suites and higher. FREE WiFi includes up to 500 minutes depending on length of voyage"

So, only UP TO 500 minutes so expect 500 minutes only on the longest cruises with am sure much less on shorter cruises and now you need 75 nites to get WiFi rather than the 21 previously.

Just read the blog and the "Free" internet does not start until fall 2014 and not so strangely missing from the blog is the change in the Seven Seas Society benefits moving free wifi to gold from the previous silver. Just another way to try and force people to book Concierge.

And in the brochure which am pretty sure that you all will get shortly, the "Free" internet is prominently displayed with the up to 500 minutes in very fine print.

Cannot be sure when the SSS benefits change for the WiFi.

So the only folks who won't have internet at least nominally included are the non-silver people in steerage.

Not true Wendy, unfortunately. Please see my previous post. New SSS structure is in the brochure Gold and above. have no idea about when but, hopefully at least not before the new plan goes into effect in late 2014 but, knowing Regent, it could be effective now.

Suggest you check with your TA or direct with Regent.

Just got a brochure from Regent in the mail for Winter 2014-2015 and the dreaded asterisk is there only this time it is a different symbol and it is a little different that people have said.

I'll provide the exact wording.

First of all, free internet is no longer a silver perk, it has been moved up to gold level and nothing replaces it on Silver level.

Wording is "Applies to Concierge Suites and higher. FREE WiFi includes up to 500 minutes depending on length of voyage"

So, only UP TO 500 minutes so expect 500 minutes only on the longest cruises with am sure much less on shorter cruises and now you need 75 nites to get WiFi rather than the 21 previously.

Just read the blog and the "Free" internet does not start until fall 2014 and not so strangely missing from the blog is the change in the Seven Seas Society benefits moving free wifi to gold from the previous silver. Just another way to try and force people to book Concierge.

And in the brochure which am pretty sure that you all will get shortly, the "Free" internet is prominently displayed with the up to 500 minutes in very fine print.

Cannot be sure when the SSS benefits change for the WiFi.

A post that should not have been made without the "rest of the story"! Apologies :)

Below is a footnote that now appears on the RSSC website Seven Seas Society benefits page. As I read it, if you already are, or become, Silver by 9/30/14, you will keep the free wi-fi benefit. Otherwise you have to reach Gold. So existing Silver members are grandfathered in to the free wi-fi benefit, and those near Silver have a year to attain that level and keep free wi-fi. It's unclear how much this will matter if they keep throwing in wi-fi as a promotional inclusion as on so many of the recent offerings.

"†Guests who attain Silver-level by 9/30/14 will continue to receive the FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi Internet Access benefit. As of 10/1/14 the FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi Internet Access benefit will apply to guests who obtain Gold and above status."

Below is a footnote that now appears on the RSSC website Seven Seas Society benefits page. As I read it, if you already are, or become, Silver by 9/30/14, you will keep the free wi-fi benefit. Otherwise you have to reach Gold. So existing Silver members are grandfathered in to the free wi-fi benefit, and those near Silver have a year to attain that level and keep free wi-fi. It's unclear how much this will matter if they keep throwing in wi-fi as a promotional inclusion as on so many of the recent offerings.

"†Guests who attain Silver-level by 9/30/14 will continue to receive the FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi Internet Access benefit. As of 10/1/14 the FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi Internet Access benefit will apply to guests who obtain Gold and above status."

Thank you for the "Rest of the Story" as I let my fingers type faster than my brain can think!

Aloha All,

I am still perplexed by the fact that so many passengers find internet service onboard, whether "free" or not, such a crucial part of the Regent experience. I've spent far too much of my working life looking at a computer (and still do everyday!); thus, when we are on vacation, I have little desire to be online; I check in once a day and then leave it alone. For us, the whole purpose of the trip is to take a complete break from our usual grind.

As an aside, I am often amused when I hear visitors to our cafe in Hanalei complain vehemently about the fact that we do not provide free Wi-Fi.

My wife has posted a sign which states: Hanalei Unplugged: Yes, sorry, but we are a wire-LESS cafe. Please enjoy your stay by connecting with the moment, not the net.

I've seen more than a few people look at this sign, shake their head slightly, smile, put their phone in their pocket and look out at the waterfalls!

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

I am gold on Regent so the change would not affect me; However, since I am self employed and I am my business, I cannot be unplugged for any length of time. I can spend a day off line but for every day I am not on the internet, I lose a client or more; Unlimited Internet and telephone is important to me. On top of which, I also want to know what is going on at my home. My furry kids can't call me but the house sitter and I speak daily.

Aloha All,

I am still perplexed by the fact that so many passengers find internet service onboard, whether "free" or not, such a crucial part of the Regent experience. I've spent far too much of my working life looking at a computer (and still do everyday!); thus, when we are on vacation, I have little desire to be online; I check in once a day and then leave it alone. For us, the whole purpose of the trip is to take a complete break from our usual grind.

As an aside, I am often amused when I hear visitors to our cafe in Hanalei complain vehemently about the fact that we do not provide free Wi-Fi.

My wife has posted a sign which states: Hanalei Unplugged: Yes, sorry, but we are a wire-LESS cafe. Please enjoy your stay by connecting with the moment, not the net.

I've seen more than a few people look at this sign, shake their head slightly, smile, put their phone in their pocket and look out at the waterfalls!

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Mark, I do agree 100% unfortunately in today's world it just is not always possible. Clients have much different expectations and you just have to do a minimum to keep everybody happy.

However as your from Hawaii maybe you know my very favorite place in the world where even seeing a cell phone would bring the wrath of Pele down upon you...Kona Village and after over 15 visits alas it is no more, a piece of Hawaiian Paradise gone. :(

Not true Wendy, unfortunately. Please see my previous post. New SSS structure is in the brochure Gold and above. have no idea about when but, hopefully at least not before the new plan goes into effect in late 2014 but, knowing Regent, it could be effective now.

Suggest you check with your TA or direct with Regent.

No need, I'm Gold already. And at the moment, I have no intention of using my benefits anytime soon.

Aloha All,

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Aside from whether one uses or needs the internet, I think this involves principle.

Sure, business is business, but one of the most failing aspects of today's society is loyalty...both to a business and from a business.

Since I'm coming down the other side of the mountain while the current generation is climbing, it's no wonder I have so much difficulty understanding and accepting the ongoing culture.

The current generation doesn't know too much about the distant past so they really don't have too much to reference. Meanwhile, the older folks gaze in amazement at how today's generation functions, realizing that time does march on..

Although this will not be a popular opinion, passengers who are using Regent's internet for business purposes should have no problem paying for it..... after all, it should be a business expense. I have also noticed that some people who need to use the internet for business purposes tend to print volumes on Regent's printers. If these same passengers were on Oceania, they would be paying 25 cents per page. I certainly understand the need to use the internet for business....... but not "free". Passengers who do have free internet access should count their blessings.

Keep in mind that Regent is the only luxury cruise line that has "free internet" as a loyalty perk. We paid $250 for 1,000 minutes on Slversea last month and I did not hear anyone complaining. Someone posted about telephone usage....... to my knowledge, there is no luxury cruise line that provides unlimited telephone usage.

I would like to see all passengers have free access to airline websites, but that could open up another kettle of fish.

IMO, the new policy is fair.

P.S. HanaleiSailor: If I didn't have internet access, how would I post on CruiseCritic and drive everyone crazy:-)?

I used to love going cold turkey, back in the days when my business was software and most emails were barraging me with problems--2 or more weeks away from the web was holiday in itself. But things have changed, and so have I, and so has the internet. I communicate by email. I like to be able to check it, at least every day or two, and know that my family can get in touch with me. And yes, I like to surf my favourites sites, check up on my FB friends.

On our upcoming Oceania trip, we'll probably just buy 200 minutes or some such, and hope that that lasts us with occasional use for a 14-day TA.

Ship- to -shore telephone is VERY expensive if you do not have a perk including several minutes or hours of "free " telephone. Without a perk it's $6.50 a MINUTE on Regent last I checked! That adds up quickly.

I use the Internet for both business and personal purposes as does my husband. When you run your own business these days, you have to stay connected or lose business. But neither of us ever print stuff off. Will be very happy if the connection is faster on regent, even if I am not paying by the minute.

I also check in with my business on the rare occasions we are able to get away (we operate two businesses and a vacation rental), but, hopefully, a few minutes a day is sufficient. How much can I really do to solve problems when I am in the middle of the Med? Many of my issues are physical (equipment, freight, etc), so all I can do is offer advice to staff and try to mitigate the issues until I return.

Would those of you who need to operate online more intensively for business be willing to pay for a "business express" service with much higher dedicated bandwidth for those who need it? Just a thought.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

PS: We fly to HNL for the first leg of our journey in a few hours time! :)

I also check in with my business on the rare occasions we are able to get away (we operate two businesses and a vacation rental), but, hopefully, a few minutes a day is sufficient. How much can I really do to solve problems when I am in the middle of the Med? Many of my issues are physical (equipment, freight, etc), so all I can do is offer advice to staff and try to mitigate the issues until I return.

Would those of you who need to operate online more intensively for business be willing to pay for a "business express" service with much higher dedicated bandwidth for those who need it? Just a thought.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

PS: We fly to HNL for the first leg of our journey in a few hours time! :)

Sounds like a reasonable idea, however, if you are Gold are above, I guess you have earned "free" internet. I just do not think that business passengers should be upset if they have to pay.

Archived