Concierge Question?

Disneycruiser99

I just booked 2 rooms on the Norwegian Sun. One is the forward Penthouse Suite that holds 4 and the other is the inside stateroom that we will have 2 in. They did not have a room that would sleep all 6 of us. Will we have a problem using the special dining room for all 6 of us? Any help someone can give would be appreciated!!:p

Va. Plumber is correct. Although there may be some suite amenities that you can share with the other room, such as in-suite dining, afternoon treats, and priority disembarkation, it is not likely they will be able to join you in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch.

I just booked 2 rooms on the Norwegian Sun. One is the forward Penthouse Suite that holds 4 and the other is the inside stateroom that we will have 2 in. They did not have a room that would sleep all 6 of us. Will we have a problem using the special dining room for all 6 of us? Any help someone can give would be appreciated!!:p

Technically, no, the people booked in the inside stateroom will not be permitted to dine in the suite venue. Exceptions are sometimes made for families with small children (see below).

Several years ago, we traveled with six of us on the Sun, and the four children were not old enough to be in a cabin by themselves and there were no connected suites that could fit us all. So, we booked the Owner's Suite and the connected Mini Suite and hoped for the best - otherwise it wouldn't really matter, we just wouldn't eat in Il Adagio. The concierge told us that, since we booked the most expensive suite and connected cabin combination for the six of us (we could have connected to the balcony cabin on the other side instead of the MS), he would make an exception and our other two children (in MS) would be permitted to dine with the other four of us (in the OS)..

Last year, when we again traveled on the Sun as a party of six, our children were old enough to be farther from us, so hubby and I booked the forward OS and we put the kids in an aft suite, so that we could all be certain of suite privileges. I would have preferred them to be closer in the other OS, but it was sold out.

We also once combined suites on the Pearl - the OS, a Penthouse, and a Balcony - all connected to make a three bedroom suite - the best combination possible for the six of us since the Garden Villas were sold out. This was back when the OS and Forward PEnthouses only slept two in each cabin. Our "extra" two were allowed to join us in Cagney's, but only hubby and myself were permitted in the Haven (a very fair compromise that I was very appreciative of). We asked the concierge what would have happened if we had booked a Two Bedroom suite and connected mini suite - he basically told us that no, the extra two wouldn't have been allowed to join us (hadn't mattered, they were also sold out).

So basically, exceptions can be made on the ship by the concierge on a case-by-case basis. I would guess that by booking a lower level suite and a non-connected inside (older children?), the concierge will likely not make the exception. But who knows?

Robin

I have to agree. I have travelled on the Sun in a suite with family not in one. It is doable. You either meet after breakfast or go to the MDR with them. I know it is disappointing for you but it is the fair thing after all.

Can't you wrangle another couple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

And since your group of six are all adults, the chances are pretty slim. Best to plan on eating with them in one of the MDR's rather than put the Concierge in a bad spot. I'm guessing that your collage age daughter and friend will be with you and the married daughter and husband will be in the inside? Maybe join them for a few meals in the MDR, let them eat in suite with you a couple of time and on their own a few times. How about the Garden Villa, would that fit you all?

A lot of people will say "No Way" this is a suite perk for suite guests only. And I do understand their point of view.

On our cruise a couple of weeks ago. We called and asked our Concierge if our friends could join us for breakfast in Cagney's one morning. He said no problem and made the arrangements. We only made the request one time.

Our friends loved the experience so much they are planning to get a suite on their next cruise.

BTW, we always ate breakfast around 8:30 or 9:00 am and Cagney's was never busy. Only made it to lunch one time (first day), we were always in port for lunch.

I really wish there were more connecting cabin options when you have a large family. There are 8 of is and none of the kids are old enough to be by themselves. We had to book a long time in advance to get two connecting suites. You could get suites and a connecting mini all day long but that is not really worth it if only half of the group gets the perks right?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I really wish there were more connecting cabin options when you have a large family. There are 8 of is and none of the kids are old enough to be by themselves. We had to book a long time in advance to get two connecting suites. You could get suites and a connecting mini all day long but that is not really worth it if only half of the group gets the perks right?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree. And on many ships (like the Sun) there are no adjoining suites at all, and the largest suites sleep only four max. At the time we booked the Pearl, all suites slept only two except the Garden Villas, and the Family Villas that slept only five back then, so even adjoining suites did not work if you had more than four/five total (so we're making progress:)). It would be nice to be able to book some connecting suite-to non-suite cabins at an extra premium for those traveling with only one or two adults and all minors, guaranteeing that the whole family travels together - the two bedrooms and connected mini suites would be a good opportunity for this on ships that have them. I think that's why the concierge is open to making exceptions in rare cases - rare because there are few nuclear families who cannot accommodate everyone in a suite that sleeps six, but they do exist. There are always "gray areas" in this instance. But when the extra passengers are all adults and able to be in a non-adjoining cabin by themselves and could easily book a second suite, it becomes more black and white.

Robin

This question is about the Epic - in the Cirque de Soleil show, are there round dining tables for the dinner show, or are there just small cocktail tables?

And do they serve a full meal, or just snacks?

We are leaving on the Jewel next Sunday 10/13/13. We have a family suite that sleeps 6 and the connecting mini-suite. My parents are in the mini-suite. We are hoping my parents (they are in their 80's and my dad uses a walker/scooter) will be able to eat at Cagneys with us at least on embarkation day.

I'll let you know what happens when we come back. We are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Its a cruise, So I am not going to let little things like that ruin my good time.

I really don't understand why people ask this question all the time. The breakfast and lunch perk is included when you pay for a suite. If you are cruising with family or friends and want to eat with them in Cagney's or Il Adagio, then book them a suite. I will never understand why people feel entitled to perks they did not pay for.

I really don't understand why people ask this question all the time. The breakfast and lunch perk is included when you pay for a suite. If you are cruising with family or friends and want to eat with them in Cagney's or Il Adagio, then book them a suite. I will never understand why people feel entitled to perks they did not pay for.

I agree that this is a suite perk.

Perhaps another way to look at the question might be can a suite passenger invite a non suite guest to lunch or breakfast? If seating was available and the invited guest or suite guest was willing to pay the fee, then I doubt if NCL would have a problem with the arrangement.

It is a frequently asked question and sometimes people are asking for too much. Such as our 4 college age children are in a nearby inside cabin. But an occasional invited guest (paying) should not be a huge problem if prior arrangements have been made.

As I understand it, in some cases (but alas, not all) when this question arises. it is because there simply is *not* any possible way to have connecting cabins that will "fit everyone" such that all of the cabins are suites.

The connecting cabin is only a mini-suite, so they don't have the choice to book another suite AND one that directly connects.

As someone pointed out before, in these cases, it would make sense for NCL to allow the Guests the ability to pay whatever the "difference" is between the non-suite and the least expensive suite costs.

After all, very few people in any other situation would pay that kind of surcharge when they could just get the suite itself.

I certainly agree that in other cases, the answer is "if you want the suite perks, then book a suite"!

GeezerCouple

It would also be nice if one could book 2 connecting suites. Say take our situation. We are a family of 8 traveling together for a very specific reason. We wanted to book 2 suites, however, one cannot book 2 connecting suites. So we booked the family suite and the connecting mini-suite. All I wanted was to have my 80-yr old parents board with us and possibly eat at Cagneys only on Embarkation day. I understand the suite perks are just that. But the entire idea of all of us traveling together was so I can help my parents and we can all board at the same time. I honestly don't think that is TOO much to ask. But if you are in the embarkation line with me and you have a problem with my 80 yr old parents boarding with me, I will gladly go to the other line and board with them by myself, leaving my husband to board with the other suite passengers with 4 kids all by himself. I guarantee after that fiasco, you will be begging me to come back with my 80 yr old parents. If they can't eat at Cagney's, its not a big deal. We'll all go to the buffet or wherever. But you don't get what you don't ask for. They wost thing that can happen is they say no, or they say yes and someone complains about my 80yr old parents that can't hear anything.

I'm not trying to be trite, but there are reasons why people ask these questions. Most of us that ask aren't trying to get something for nothing. If I could have booked 2 connecting suites, trust me, I would have. I would have even paid a premium to add on some of the perks of the suite to my parents connecting mini-suite. So really I do not feel "ENTITLED" (as you say) to suite perks. Perhaps that is something NCL and other cruise lines would be interested in adding. Of course we could just chose to not cruise at all. But I am thinking that NCL wants the $$$ that we are shelling out for this cruise and that is why they provide a 6-sleeper family suite to begin with. If they didn't want my money they wouldn't offer the family suite in the first place, and my family and I would be happy to take our $$ elswhere.

As I understand it, in some cases (but alas, not all) when this question arises. it is because there simply is *not* any possible way to have connecting cabins that will "fit everyone" such that all of the cabins are suites.

The connecting cabin is only a mini-suite, so they don't have the choice to book another suite AND one that directly connects.

As someone pointed out before, in these cases, it would make sense for NCL to allow the Guests the ability to pay whatever the "difference" is between the non-suite and the least expensive suite costs.

After all, very few people in any other situation would pay that kind of surcharge when they could just get the suite itself.

I certainly agree that in other cases, the answer is "if you want the suite perks, then book a suite"!

GeezerCouple

This is our exact situation. Since I am a first time cruiser, I was under the impression that the mini-suite was a suite, hence the reason it connected directly to the Family Suite. I even asked after we booked if my parents can pay extra to board with us or eat at Cagneys. They can't. So people like me will continue to ask when traveling as a group together.

It would also be nice if one could book 2 connecting suites. Say take our situation. We are a family of 8 traveling together for a very specific reason. We wanted to book 2 suites, however, one cannot book 2 connecting suites. So we booked the family suite and the connecting mini-suite. All I wanted was to have my 80-yr old parents board with us and possibly eat at Cagneys only on Embarkation day. I understand the suite perks are just that. But the entire idea of all of us traveling together was so I can help my parents and we can all board at the same time. I honestly don't think that is TOO much to ask. But if you are in the embarkation line with me and you have a problem with my 80 yr old parents boarding with me, I will gladly go to the other line and board with them by myself, leaving my husband to board with the other suite passengers with 4 kids all by himself. I guarantee after that fiasco, you will be begging me to come back with my 80 yr old parents. If they can't eat at Cagney's, its not a big deal. We'll all go to the buffet or wherever. But you don't get what you don't ask for. They wost thing that can happen is they say no, or they say yes and someone complains about my 80yr old parents that can't hear anything.

I'm not trying to be trite, but there are reasons why people ask these questions. Most of us that ask aren't trying to get something for nothing. If I could have booked 2 connecting suites, trust me, I would have. I would have even paid a premium to add on some of the perks of the suite to my parents connecting mini-suite. So really I do not feel "ENTITLED" (as you say) to suite perks. Perhaps that is something NCL and other cruise lines would be interested in adding. Of course we could just chose to not cruise at all. But I am thinking that NCL wants the $$$ that we are shelling out for this cruise and that is why they provide a 6-sleeper family suite to begin with. If they didn't want my money they wouldn't offer the family suite in the first place, and my family and I would be happy to take our $$ elswhere.

We DO understand your situation, and it makes perfectly good sense to wonder/ask if and how you can get the equivalent to "connecting suites" when they don't actually exist in the form that you need for the number in your family - and especially because it's all ONE family :).

After all, it is not as though you (or others in similar situations) are trying to get friends (who purposely chose to select and pay less for NON-suite accommodations) to join you. That is quite different.

NCL could keep their "Family Guests" happier AND collect MORE MONEY if they arranged for families in this situation to be able to pay the extra!

That would be a win/win/win: NCL gets more money; families like yours get the suite accommodations (almost!) and all get the same perks, by paying *extra*; and it's "fair" in that families like yours wouldn't be getting (or needing to ask) for perks they didn't pay for.

We especially understand, because on my first two cruises, centuries ago (well, it feels that way sometimes - it was several decades ago), our family had several adults and children traveling together. We had the grandparents, my brother and his girlfriend (later wife ;-), and my immediate family including young children. That was three sets of adults wanting private bedrooms (not with "curtains").

And because of the children, we *really* wanted connecting cabins, as the children were much too young to be allowed to wander ship or hotel hallways alone, even "just next door".

GeezerCouple

My suggestion is to tip the concierge and butler on day 1. I bet you won't have any issues with your family joining you at Cagney's and the Butler bringing extra treats :-) the last time I sailed the Dawn another suite frequently had non suite guests join them in Cagney's. Fingers crossed that everything works out for your family!!

We are leaving on the Jewel next Sunday 10/13/13. We have a family suite that sleeps 6 and the connecting mini-suite. My parents are in the mini-suite. We are hoping my parents (they are in their 80's and my dad uses a walker/scooter) will be able to eat at Cagneys with us at least on embarkation day.

I'll let you know what happens when we come back. We are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Its a cruise, So I am not going to let little things like that ruin my good time.

We were in a penthouse last year on the Gem along with my 93 year old Mom who was in an inside across the hall. She was able to stay with us thru check in and lunch in Cagneys on embarkation day. We never asked to have her join us at any other time except on the last morning. The staff was more than willing to allow her to stay with us.

Archived