SY to SA-SC Help!

Pointkitten

$349 does seem a bit high given the current weakness in the market (we just paid $149 for 7 days in AK), but it is not totally out of line (we have paid $299 in the past). Still a decent value in my opinion.

DaveOKC

Neptune suites are the crack cocaine of cruising..... :D

Just sayin': In my opinion, there is some subject matter that really shouldn't be mentioned on this board in a "positive way" (even though it was in jest).

cbpdrugs

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/17/are-drugs-on-cruise-ships-on-the-rise/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/drugs/

Well I guess I could have said the Neptune Suites are the "tobacco addiction" of cruising, but then this would become another (not needed) smoking thread. And it wouldn't have had the same "punch", now would it.

Just sayin': I stand by my original post. I do not think it is appropriate to equate an illegal substance to something positive and/or good on this board; keep in mind there is no age restriction on Cruise Critic and I would bet some of the posters/readers are minors. Using a term like crème de la crème, very best, pinnacle, or ultimate would have served the purpose, now wouldn't it?

Just sayin': I stand by my original post. I do not think it is appropriate to equate an illegal substance to something positive and/or good on this board; keep in mind there is no age restriction on Cruise Critic and I would bet some of the posters/readers are minors. Using a term like crème de la crème, very best, pinnacle, or ultimate would have served the purpose, now wouldn't it?

I think you need to lighten up a bit. As for age restrictions - my gosh have you seen Miley Cirus lately??? Aimed at the teenboppers.:eek: HamOp, I am sure, meant no harm, and a little humour isn't going to send us all to h*ll:)

Edited to add: In the past, any under-21's who posted to this forum have been very mature. And likely wouldn't be shocked at that attempt at humour.

You can, of course, stand by your original post, but it would appear you stand alone or close to it.

You are entitled to your opinion and you have expressed it. I have a strong feeling my post won't tempt any of the young'ens to try crack cocaine. I will admit however it may tempt some of the adults to try a Neptune Suite.

$349 does seem a bit high given the current weakness in the market (we just paid $149 for 7 days in AK), but it is not totally out of line (we have paid $299 in the past). Still a decent value in my opinion.

DaveOKC

Alaska upsells were very reasonable. It seems that upsells of late are not. I had two offers for the Eurodam. First one was $2500 to go to a sy from a VD. The second one was to a ss for $1800. Needless to say I didn't bite on either one. Those are stupid high but they are now gone so someone bit.

I would definitely take that upsell, especially if I had gotten a good price to start with on my SY.

If I paid, say, $1500 pp for an SY, and SAs were going for $2500 pp ... Well, I would see the $349 offer as VERY good. It would mean I paid $1849 for my SA.

I wouldn't risk a second round, hoping for a better price. But then we have to book a HC stateroom, and there are only two in the suite category. :(

As far as the "crack" comment, it's used so much these days as a figure of speech, it really isn't taken literally by most.

Thanks for the advice. We paid a very low price for the SY, and were given a very nice amount of OBC. I'm thinking this will work out to be a good deal in the end, and I won't fret if others get the upsell for less. It will still be a relatively inexpensive cruise.:)

Thanks for the advice. We paid a very low price for the SY, and were given a very nice amount of OBC. I'm thinking this will work out to be a good deal in the end, and I won't fret if others get the upsell for less. It will still be a relatively inexpensive cruise.:)

The low price you paid MAY be the reason your upsell price is a bit higher than most are reporting. HAL may be trying to even things out a bit. This makes sense to me, as my PCC from HAL asked how much I paid for my cabin when she was calling on getiting me an upsell.

DaveOKC

The low price you paid MAY be the reason your upsell price is a bit higher than most are reporting. HAL may be trying to even things out a bit. This makes sense to me, as my PCC from HAL asked how much I paid for my cabin when she was calling on getiting me an upsell.

DaveOKC

I have my doubts. I think generally upsells go out to a large group of people in a certain level of cabin. They are not individually prepared.

I doubt HAL prepares individual upsell offers based on what passengers paid for their cabins.

We once booked an obstructed view cabin - guarantee - for my older daughter. Not sure if it was HH or GG or whatever. She received her assignment and ended up in a higher category, oceanview, no obstructions. Then we were offered an upsell, $49 pp, and she ended up in a VB. She could have had a VA for the same price, but chose a VB because it was closer to our cabin.

Bottom line, her VB cabin was very very inexpensive. :)

I have my doubts. I think generally upsells go out to a large group of people in a certain level of cabin. They are not individually prepared.

Well, I doubt we will ever know for sure how it works. My brother booked the cruise with us, booking about 6 months after us, in the same category (SZ) and he got an upsell offer and we did not, go figure. I think he paid a bit more than I did.

DaveOKC

Well, I doubt we will ever know for sure how it works. My brother booked the cruise with us, booking about 6 months after us, in the same category (SZ) and he got an upsell offer and we did not, go figure. I think he paid a bit more than I did.

DaveOKC

If he's a new cruiser that's more likely the reason. I'm willing to bet price paid has nothing to do with it. I booked my Alaska cruise within final. I got 2 upsells. Both very reasonable. I booked my Eurodam cruise long ago and the price was sky high. I also got 2 sky high upsells and accepted neither.

If he's a new cruiser that's more likely the reason. I'm willing to bet price paid has nothing to do with it. I booked my Alaska cruise within final. I got 2 upsells. Both very reasonable. I booked my Eurodam cruise long ago and the price was sky high. I also got 2 sky high upsells and accepted neither.

I think that's it. The one and only cruise I booked within final was the one I got upgrades and upsells on, to Neptune.

DaveOKC

I don't think that has anything to do with it. For our very cheap upsell from Superior guarantee to an SA for our Alaska cruise, our base price was very inexpensive because we had a credit from the Mexico cruise. Why would your PCC even ask what you paid if she booked it for you?

I sent my PCC an e-mail after taking the upsell and he couldn't believe how cheap it went for-was a steal of a deal. I think the e-mail goes out to many at the same time to the PCC and travel agents who then send them to the client. Only guessing though.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. For our very cheap upsell from Superior guarantee to an SA for our Alaska cruise, our base price was very inexpensive because we had a credit from the Mexico cruise. Why would your PCC even ask what you paid if she booked it for you?

I sent my PCC an e-mail after taking the upsell and he couldn't believe how cheap it went for-was a steal of a deal. I think the e-mail goes out to many at the same time to the PCC and travel agents who then send them to the client. Only guessing though.

I'm very convinced that is the way it works. Why in the world would Hal do individual offers? It makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm very convinced that is the way it works. Why in the world would Hal do individual offers? It makes no sense whatsoever.

You know what was funny-as I was on the phone (and I was on within 2 minutes of getting the e-mail!!!) I was told which suites were available and I picked one and before she could even grab it someone else did! So I said, just take one for me!!! At that price they were going quickly. The previous offer that I didn't bite on obviously hardly anyone else did either.

Archived