iLounge - Retina Macbook Pro for sale?

itf

Anyone know if the onboard iLounge sells the Retina Macbook Pro 13" model, and will it be at US prices (IE US price for the product, I know the onboard currency is US dollars) even if the ship is in Australia?

I don't know the answer to this, but as an avid Mac user, I have to say: if you're looking at the rMBP 13, you should really consider the new Macbook Air 13.

I have a rMBP15 with 16GB RAM. It's great, best computer I've ever had. But I rented a new 13" Air for a trip this summer, and it blew me away. With the new Haswell chip, it is faster and nimbler than my "real" computer.

No retina display, but otherwise better in every regard. Check out the reviews of both - you may get a better computer for less money!

I believe the currency would be in dollars. There are Apple products for sale but the inventory is often low. If there is a 'hot' item, it is may be sold out. That was the case earlier this year when the new IPad was released.

I purchased my Macbook Pro 13 about 18 months ago on the Equinox. The price was the same as in the US stores (and on-line, US) but it was duty free. I had my mind set on another, more expensive computer when I boarded but the dude in the iLounge was quite helpful in directing me to a better match for my needs. While I was on the ship, they gave me free Wifi access which allowed me to check it out while I could still go back to ask questions, if necessary.

Being a PC user before this, I took advantage of a couple of quick immersion classes on Mac which helped my transition. All in all a good experience.

You never know what will be in stock, the prices are usually US based prices so if locally you are paying more that what a US based Apple store has for pricing then it could be a good deal for you. Remember that duty free does not really mean you will not have to pay anything on your return it depends on what your allowance is and if they actually check if you had the laptop before the trip started.

Check your prices...I paid more for an Ipad on the Infinity last May....at home $30 less and then "box store" was giving a gift card for $40...even with tax home would have been better deal.....:( and they DID NOT OFFER ANY FREE INTERNET...

I had been looking thought the price was good...got caught up in the moment and bought...

Anyone know if the onboard iLounge sells the Retina Macbook Pro 13" model, and will it be at US prices (IE US price for the product, I know the onboard currency is US dollars) even if the ship is in Australia?

I purchased one on the Summit. I paid in us$ but to tell you the truth the only savings was the tax. When I got home my son told me that he could get a 10% student discount at an Apple store. Ironically the computer was a graduation gift for him.

You never know what will be in stock, the prices are usually US based prices so if locally you are paying more that what a US based Apple store has for pricing then it could be a good deal for you. Remember that duty free does not really mean you will not have to pay anything on your return it depends on what your allowance is and if they actually check if you had the laptop before the trip started.

I was told by the salesman to take mine out of the box and start it up. I placed it in my carry on when I disembarked. The other thing is I paid with a different credit card from the one I had registered with the ship for my on board account. If it goes to your on board account the cruise line will report the purchase to customs. One of my friends purchased a piece of jewelry on Princess and thought that they could just wear it off the ship. Princess reported the large purchase and they had to pay whatever taxes when they went through customs. Personally I would never purchase another electronic on board again. It's not worth the hassle and there isn't any real savings and don't get me started on the over priced watches and jewelry.

Archived