How could I find out if wc cabin is booked by qualified user?

Lvteks

HC cabins that are not booked are added to the inventory when HAL assigns guarantees.

We always sail in HC cabins, DH is in a wheelchair, and we always have to ask to have furniture removed. We'd never had a sparsely furnished room, be it VA, SY or SA/SC.

Well you are lucky. We were assigned to an SC on the Westerdam which was an HC cabin. We were excited to have an Suite because it always affords us a nice sized couch to lounge on, which is part of why we love a suite. This particular HC cabin had a couch the size of a VA, rather than the larger couches in an SB (or even in an SS). For the usual SA-SC Suite it was sparsely furnished! I am sure it would meet the needs of someone needing the space for a wheel chair.

I wish the Op luck in obtaining the type of cabin they need.

For anyone who needs to book an accessible cabin there is an interesting thread under the Special Interest Travel section of CC. Look under Disabled Travel. The thread is regarding a change in NCL's policy. It seems that they are trying to tighten down on non-disabled trying to book the accessible cabins.

Time Out! DH had surgery on his leg today...long story, continuing saga etc. What I intended to ask had NOTHING yes in caps, about asking for personal information. What I wanted to know if it was assigned as an HC or just filling space. I have always understood that a person totally or mostly dependant on a WC, has the highest priority. It is nearly 3 am and I haven't the energy to explain anymore. CC has always been my go to site. First experience with "flaming" even tho I see how my ? may have appeared.

Blessings,

Gail

BTW I do have experience in Administrative nursing, and I do understand privacy as a serious issue.

Please forgive me for perhaps sounding harsh. What I was trying to say is that HAL would consider even what you want to ask as personal information because it would let another passenger know whether the person in cabin xxx was handicapped in some way.

I imagine at some not too distant time we will be looking at handicapped cabins as my husband simply cannot manage the high sided tub. For the time being we manage by booking SS cabins with a free standing shower because we understand how important leaving those handicapped cabins free is.

On the Prinsendam the SS only has a tub so we had HAL put in a bench where a person could sit before getting in the tub. 31 days of that experience provided enough material for a short book. :D

Again, sorry to have given the impression I was being snarky.

HAL does require anyone booking an accessible room to fill out a SRI Form(Special Requirements Information), but they do not require a doctors note or any other "verification of disability". I believe that may violate some privacy laws. It is too bad that there are people out there that do take advantage of booking an accessible room to gain a slight size increase.

I wish HAL would make the verandahs in the accessible rooms more accessible. Anyone that has tried to maneuver a wheelchair or a scooter onto a verandah knows what I'm talking about, but that is a entirely different issue.

FWIW, the SRI form really doesn't address what "qualifies" someone for a handicapped stateroom. See the form:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-planning/SRI_Form.pdf

Another attempt.

Wrote a long note and lost it. Thanks to all of you for kind notes and kind intentions. Best news, no complications for DH. He is up walking 20 minutes every two hours and included Wal-Mart in the program. If this works, and there is a reduction in chronic swelling, he can be refitted in new braces with improved gait and minimal pain. All this from a failed ankle replacement years ago.

Haven't had the energy to ck on all suggestions...was not sure HAL special needs dept. was open today. Finally our 5 days of rain are over. I am so ready for bright days and calm seas.

Blessings to each of you. I am grateful.

Gail

I always thought (and apparently I'm wrong :confused:) that you could not book a HAL HDCP cabin via the internet and had to call directly to do that ... or your TA had to call. Can anyone confirm someone can actually sit at their computer and book a HDCP cabin without calling? (Yes, I do understand HDCP cabins can be assigned to gty passengers when they are "left-over.")

I always thought (and apparently I'm wrong :confused:) that you could not book a HAL HDCP cabin via the internet and had to call directly to do that ... or your TA had to call. Can anyone confirm someone can actually sit at their computer and book a HDCP cabin without calling? (Yes, I do understand HDCP cabins can be assigned to gty passengers when they are "left-over.")

I can't confirm that you can book through the HAL website since I have always used a HAL PCC, but while shopping for cruises I have gone through all of the steps as if I were booking and it lets you select accessible cabins.

I've seen accessible cabins come up as available on the major travel websites. When we took my 86-year-old mother-in-law on a different cruise line, she did not qualify for an accessible cabin. We were able to get her a shower chair and a raised toilet seat. She needed wheelchair assistance on embarkation and disembarkation, but otherwise she used her cane and the two of us to walk.

My hubby is a full time wc user and I always book online. The only difference is they send you the SRI form.

FINAL UPDATE.....inc note to NoobCruise (I did book early I.e. March, but had to have tub for DD who needed one for her disability....we were willing to "make do" for her sake. She is the one who donated the stem cells that saved her brother.(AML) Somehow I missed the tub in the SY HC.) ......all of you, Gina from HAL special needs called and confirmed the HC status I inquired about as you suggested. She gave me the number so I could check availability from time to time. End of story.

Blessings to all.

Gail

A lot of people believe this but, in practice, it rarely happens. Once a handicapped accessible cabin is booked, it is taken out of the inventory and the chances of anyone being moved are very low.

If you genuinely need an accessible cabin, go ahead and book it. However, since there are only a small number of these cabins on each ship, it is selfish for an able-bodied person to book one.

Totally agree. Needed one on another line and none were available. (in an accident after initial booking). Met someone onboard who said her travel agent always booked her clients into the handicapped rooms because they were bigger. Apparently that line does not require any documentation of need for booking a handicapped room. Does HAL?

Totally agree. Needed one on another line and none were available. (in an accident after initial booking). Met someone onboard who said her travel agent always booked her clients into the handicapped rooms because they were bigger. Apparently that line does not require any documentation of need for booking a handicapped room. Does HAL?

HAL does require anyone booking these rooms to fill out an SRI form. To view that form, go back to page three, post #54 of this thread.

It is sad that a travel agent would intentionally book people into accessible rooms that don't need them. I wonder if this travel agent falsely fills out the SRI form for her clients. I do know that if I were on a cruise and someone told me their travel agent did this, I would get the agents information and have a nice little chat with them.

Archived