How could I find out if wc cabin is booked by qualified user?

Lvteks

I just found out in CC there is a handicapped SY cabin with a tub and shower. DH and I are eligible while DD needs tub. Working with TA but doubt they would update consistently. I'm not sure about protocol or procedure so all comments sincerely appreciated.

Blessings,

Gail

I just found out in CC there is a handicapped SY cabin with a tub and shower. DH and I are eligible while DD needs tub. Working with TA but doubt they would update consistently. I'm not sure about protocol or procedure so all comments sincerely appreciated.

Blessings,

Gail

Privacy laws would not allow HAL to give out personal information about a person booked in a specific cabin.

I also don't believe HAL, or any cruise line or accommodation provider for that matter, is allowed to ask for disability status or for a reason or justification for requesting special accommodations. I'm pretty sure that's true and the end result is they simply don't have the information.

Thank You for such rapid responses! I understood that an unqualified booking is possible with the understanding that one would be reassigned if it were needed.. If we booked, we would be changed if a total wc user needed it. I would not know the circumstance but HAL would and can request verification.

Blessings,

Gail

Thank You for such rapid responses! I understood that an unqualified booking is possible with the understanding that one would be reassigned if it were needed.. If we booked, we would be changed if a total wc user needed it. I would not know the circumstance but HAL would and can request verification.

Blessings,

Gail

A lot of people believe this but, in practice, it rarely happens. Once a handicapped accessible cabin is booked, it is taken out of the inventory and the chances of anyone being moved are very low.

If you genuinely need an accessible cabin, go ahead and book it. However, since there are only a small number of these cabins on each ship, it is selfish for an able-bodied person to book one.

Thanks again for the information. Soooo...how might one get waitlisted for a specific cabin in case it became available? I know chances are miniscule, however I am ever the optimist.....if there is a system to track booking changes. Has anyone ever been waitlisted? How did it go?

Believe me I am in no way wanting to "evict" or inconvenience anyone.

Blessings,

Gail

We wanted a specific ship/date and category of cabin which was not available. We placed a deposit to go on a waitlist for that category but not one specific cabin. We got a cabin for that cruise. :)

I would suggest inquiring if you can do that for the specific cabin you want.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

We were given a handicapped cabin as a guarantee on the Oosterdam, 5002 at the front of the ship. I would happily have exchanged it for a regular cabin in the same category if someone had requested. If HAL doesn't verify handicapped status those cabins would be available to anyone and that doesn't seem fair to those who may require the hc cabin.

If you can't book a hc cabin but are taking the cruise anyway you might check at the front desk at check in. If somebody got one as a guarantee they may want to change cabins. I accidently pulled the cord in the bathroom (thinking it was the laundry cord) and got a phone call 911 response. The ramp to the verandah was a problem for us as we kept tripping over it and it took up too much space on the balcony.

There were a number of people on that cruise who could probably have used a HC cabin so I was really surprised to be so assigned.

Blessings,

Gail

Blessings,

Gail

HAL keeps their handicapped cabins in with the general inventory & don't believe that HAL can legally ask someone if they are handicapped.. Since my hip replacement I've been using a cane..My Orthopedist decided I needed a permanent handicapped parking permit...

I have trouble getting into the HAL tubs, but have never requested a handicapped cabin & don't have one on our Nov. cruise..DH will have to help me into & out of the tub..I believe that most handicapped Psgrs book very early in order to get a handicapped cabin..

If I wanted a complete handicapped room with shower only, would have had to book much sooner.. Have been trying to re-train myself to walk without the cane, but it's still needed especially walking from one end to the other end on ships..Fortunately on the Prinsendam we had shower only for our long Jan. cruise..

cheers..Betty

Last time we booked an HC cabin on RCI they emailed us a little questionnaire to complete with regard to the disability and needs. I think HAL should do the same thing to qualify whether the request is genuine. They could set a deadline and release those cabins past that date, if they are not needed for a handicapped passenger.

So good to hear from all of you. The answers are a bit complicated and I will write more tomorrow. Bottom line DD needs a tub, we need the HC features....just found out 6108 which is HC has both tub and shower.Booked in March...and didn't know. More later.

Blessings,

Gail

From your post, I am assuming you and your husband are handicapped.if this is the case, why don't you just request this cabin that would suit the needs of your party of 3? Maybe I am missing something here, but it seems straightforward to me.

You are right, it would appear that they must be handicap. I hope they are able body enough to enjoy their trip. Are able body people allowed to book a Handicap cabin?

Blessings,

Gail

It would be so nice if only handicap individuals were allowed to book the limited number of handicap rooms. Be wary of people who make comments regarding "laws" that are not supported with fact. Best wishes to you in obtaining a cabin that will allow you to enjoy cruising.

Google -

Candy Harrington is the editor of Emerging Horizons and the author of Barrier Free Travel: A Nuts and Bolts Guide For Wheelers and Slow Walkers. She blogs regularly

My son is disabled and we have to fill out a form every time regarding his disability. HAL has moved passengers out of an accessible cabin to accommodate him.

Great Info! I am sure the OP will be glad to hear this. Also, shame on those who book an HC that don't need one.

Some one with a real handicap or need of the special layout and not just someone who wanted the extra space.

Susan

But there is the rub! In many cases being handicapped is in the eye of the beholder. You will meet folks who have a sore/swollen knee and think that they are handicapped. You might meet another person whose knees are much worse...but will refuse to be labeled handicapped. Others will tell you their handicap is an occasional sore lower back. My point is that there is no universal definition. There is no way that HA can ascertain somebodies medical condition when they book a cabin. Even if they required a doctors note (easy to get for many folks who are friendly with a physician) it would not be very effective. As an example, a close family member has a permanent handicapped parking permit and the official state document that says she is handicapped and entitled to that permit. But her need for that permit ended more then a year ago when she had total knee replacement (she is now 100%). But she can keep that permit (and the document attesting that she is handicapped) forever. Some folks take advantage of such things (others, including my family member do not).

Hank

But there is the rub! In many cases being handicapped is in the eye of the beholder. You will meet folks who have a sore/swollen knee and think that they are handicapped. You might meet another person whose knees are much worse...but will refuse to be labeled handicapped. Others will tell you their handicap is an occasional sore lower back. My point is that there is no universal definition. There is no way that HA can ascertain somebodies medical condition when they book a cabin. Even if they required a doctors note (easy to get for many folks who are friendly with a physician) it would not be very effective. As an example, a close family member has a permanent handicapped parking permit and the official state document that says she is handicapped and entitled to that permit. But her need for that permit ended more then a year ago when she had total knee replacement (she is now 100%). But she can keep that permit (and the document attesting that she is handicapped) forever. Some folks take advantage of such things (others, including my family member do not).

Hank

Not everyone is shady. I've had surgery on my knee this year so I guess you could say my knee is sore. I'm used to exercising a lot so I'm almost back to where I was before surgery. I would never in a million years call myself handicapped. HAL can't weed out people that are dishonest. They need to be ashamed of themselves if they do this. I hope karma pays a visit.

HAL does require anyone booking an accessible room to fill out a SRI Form(Special Requirements Information), but they do not require a doctors note or any other "verification of disability". I believe that may violate some privacy laws. It is too bad that there are people out there that do take advantage of booking an accessible room to gain a slight size increase.

I wish HAL would make the verandahs in the accessible rooms more accessible. Anyone that has tried to maneuver a wheelchair or a scooter onto a verandah knows what I'm talking about, but that is a entirely different issue.

Archived