Solo on the Allure - My Thoughts

I'm not a seasoned cruiser, never been on a BIG ship, no real C&A status and I've never cruised solo. I want to tell you, though, that this was an awesome review! I laughed out loud at almost every post. Like others have said, I love MADQ's reviews and yours ranks right up there with all of the best CC reviewers. You have a tremendous ability to take us along on your journey and live the dream vicariously.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review!

Wow, that's the best review of a review that I've ever read! And, spot on, I might add!! ;)

Hi Maureen, thanks so much for your wonderful review. I will be taking my first solo cruise next May 2014 on the Oasis of the Seas. We are similar in that I have always cruised with my DD over the years. But now that she's in college, it's become more difficult to synch our schedules to cruise. Plus she'd rather go on Spring Break with her friends??? Go figure :cool::rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm a little nervous about traveling alone but I do have a group of friends (all couples) that will be cruising, so I'm NOT totally alone. I like to read other cruisers experiences about solo cruising, makes me feel that much better.

Thanks again! Happy Cruising!

Great review

Will be cruising on the oasis for the first time in Feb with the same ports. I will have the family as it is the kids winter vacation from school. Will have to have the wife read this she will enjoy it. Thanks for all the info about the shows and restaurants. Can't wait to go more than ever now

Those of you that have been on the ship know that the red stoplights you can see next to the rock climbing walls and the one waaay at the end of the boardwalk are to let the divers know NOT to dive because the floor is raised.

I thought I knew a lot about the Allure but I did not know that! Thanks for giving me an education, and a lot of laughs. Found your review via a Facebook post/link and have been giggling ever since!

I wish you had gone bobsledding, I really want to know what that was like.

I know I'm late to the review but I wanted to say we went bobsledding, at Mystic Mountain - http://www.rainforestadventure.com/jamaica_ocho_rios_tours_excursions/ - in Ocho Rios. We loved loved loved it. We went twice, second time half price I think. It's fast, it's fun, and we'd do it again.

Great review Maureen. I felt like I was on the cruise again. You had pictures of things I didn't even see during the week. I hope our paths will cross again on another cruise.

Nat

OK, Nat, Thanks, I'll be looking for you - we can share a cab! ;)

I've enjoyed reading your review. OK' date=' I can't get past the picture of the ice cream. Is that on the Boardwalk? We're doing a family and friends cruise on Allure, in Jan. 2015. My son loves ice cream. I can't wait to show him the pic. He'll be so excited.[/quote']

That is the Boardwalk, you have to pay for the ice cream. Of course, you can get soft serve, self serve up by the pool and regular ice cream, in the MDR (I'm sure, I never even saw the MDR).

I thought I knew a lot about the Allure but I did not know that! Thanks for giving me an education, and a lot of laughs. Found your review via a Facebook post/link and have been giggling ever since!

Hmm, who linked me to FB? I didn't think CC allowed that. :confused:

WELL, I just wanted to let you know that prior to reading your review, I had absolutely NO desire to cruise on the Allure or Oasis. I just thought it was too big and too much going on, and I tend to be a fan of the "smaller" (if you can consider 90,000 GRT small).

NOW, however I'm currently looking up prices on the Oasis & Allure for next year. Wahoooo!!!! Thanks! You're hilarious!

BTW, Nordic Empress was one of my favorites! ;)

Laura

I just found your thread by reading Radio's thread of him and his wife on their way to Bermuda right now.I am so very glad when I find other solo travelers and they post their adventures on the cruise ships. I am hoping one day to be able to sail on Allure or Oasis like you did. Your story has inspired me. I am enjoying reading your thread very much and thank you for taking the time to post it.

Hmm, who linked me to FB? I didn't think CC allowed that. :confused:

The link was in Facebook, on someone's page, NOT in Cruise Critic. It was a link back to this thread on someone's Facebook page. Can't remember now who it was. I don't think that CC can object to someone putting a CC thread link on Facebook, can they?

Edited by janeyzee

I just found your thread by reading Radio's thread of him and his wife on their way to Bermuda right now.I am so very glad when I find other solo travelers and they post their adventures on the cruise ships.

Actually, Radio is solo on this trip, so, let's see what he does! Look out Bermuda, Hurricane Radio is about to hit!

The link was in Facebook, on someone's page, NOT in Cruise Critic. It was a link back to this thread on someone's Facebook page. Can't remember now who it was. I don't think that CC can object to someone putting a CC thread link on Facebook, can they?

Well, there seems to be no limit to what CC can object to, doesn't it? :D

Hmm, are you and I friends on Facebook? I posted a link on my FB page to my review and not one of my friends read it. :( Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have called them "ungrateful bastards" (shrug).......

What a fantastic review! I missed it when you posted it because I was on the Jewel for 2 weeks.

If all cruisers(or even most of them) had your sense of humor and positive attitude, we'd all have a better time.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us. Looking forward to your next one.

I know I was a little tied up looking at colleges with daughter # 2, and even though I had no hope of downloading photo laden reviews on the derpy hotel wifi, I was scanning for reviews by some of my favorite people and missed this!

Well, today, after a 5 hour round trip to see yet another college (we finally have a winner today, ding, ding, ding, ding and have reached the end of slogging through lovely little campuses that will set us back 60 k a year:rolleyes:) I came home took a nap and when I awoke decided to catch up on CC and found THIS!

Bravo, bravo! Excellent job- I consumed the whole thing like a candy binging Halloween door attendant (can't imagine where I got THAT simile)

It was wonderful to "see" Allure again and hear about your hysterical adventures! Thanks for sharing!

Here is the staff dressed up and dancing to Tequila. The man in the gray t-shirt is the manager here and at Johnny Rockets across the way. He is from Macedonia and I thought he was cute.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4547%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3A982837257ot1lsi

)

Ok, so this guy! We gave him a WOW card! He ran a tight ship at Johnny Rockets and then still was the most energetic guy at Ritas (and we needed energy- did not love the food) He was a highlight of our cruise too:D

Check out the tattoos on Zach, the Assistant CD!

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv63%3A5%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3A986766257ot1lsi

Was Zach Polynesian? We just took a cruise through French Polynesia last fall and the men and women there have very traditional body art...it's amazing. I'm kind of anti body art (don't flame please, it just doesn't appeal) but in FP, it's BEAUTIFUL! They are very strict about only using black (wont henna cause its brown, don't use colors) and the images are these very traditional designs that invoke the natural world around FP. Really cool- and as I said I didn't go in for all that stuff normally! If hes not Polynesian, looks like he certainly got his body art there!

Well thanks for the chuckles, guffaws and allowing me to "psych up" for my cruise - sail away 2 weeks and 1 hour! I look forward to your next adventure with your big pharma little swag friends and hope to find you on my roll call one day;) Go Pats and " how 'bout them Sox?" Happy sailing!

Well, today, after a 5 hour round trip to see yet another college (we finally have a winner today, ding, ding, ding, ding and have reached the end of slogging through lovely little campuses that will set us back 60 k a year:rolleyes:)

Just put the flow rider pictures up for auction. You will have that tuition paid off in no time.

Just put the flow rider pictures up for auction. You will have that tuition paid off in no time.

Oh, OB, you make me laugh! :D You are very sweet to think they would fetch enough to pay a tuition ...Maybe I could raise enough to pay for obedience school for my dog;) Im just thankful...they don't exist :eek::D