Sharks and snorkelling???

MsMolly

Hello. My husband and I have been on 3 cruises now and love the Caribbean. We have booked a cruise for the first time including our four children. Our 2 teenagers are much more adventurous than we are and would like to go on a snorkelling excursion. This may sound funny to most but my husband is terrified of sharks! (I must admit to being a bit nervous as well!!)We have gone in the water in Grand Turk as well as Half Moon Cay but stay close to shore. I know we are in the minority but is it likely we will see a shark? How safe would snorkelling be for our 9 year old who isn't as adventurous but wants to do everything her 3 big brothers do?? Is there a better island to go in? (we will be in St Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan, and Half Moon Cay) Can anyone recommend a Holland America Snorkelling Excursion they really enjoyed? Any helpful stories or advise is welcome!!! We are hoping to overcome our fears so the kids can do more than island tours!!! (but I do love the island tours!!!)

Thanks in advance!!!

Hello. My husband and I have been on 3 cruises now and love the Caribbean. We have booked a cruise for the first time including our four children. Our 2 teenagers are much more adventurous than we are and would like to go on a snorkelling excursion. This may sound funny to most but my husband is terrified of sharks! (I must admit to being a bit nervous as well!!)We have gone in the water in Grand Turk as well as Half Moon Cay but stay close to shore. I know we are in the minority but is it likely we will see a shark? How safe would snorkelling be for our 9 year old who isn't as adventurous but wants to do everything her 3 big brothers do?? Is there a better island to go in? (we will be in St Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan, and Half Moon Cay) Can anyone recommend a Holland America Snorkelling Excursion they really enjoyed? Any helpful stories or advise is welcome!!! We are hoping to overcome our fears so the kids can do more than island tours!!! (but I do love the island tours!!!)

Thanks in advance!!!

Sharks can be any where. I have seen them while snorkeling and SCUBA diving. The ones I have seen were big. I saw a white tipped shark while snorkeling in the Florida Keys. The first time I saw it ,the shark was swimming close to the bottom. Then it left my view and circled around swimming higher in the water. I then got back on the boat. I would think that if you are on a excursion that they would not bring you to a know shark area. But that does not mean that they are not there. Just don't get into with a cut that might bleed. Blood draws sharks.

This is from the article link below.

"smallest amount of blood from over a mile (1.6 kilometers) away and trace it back to its source."

Shark Attack Tips

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/08/0804_040804_shark_attack.html

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/shark-attack6.htm

Edited by geocruiser

The vast majority of sharks aren't "maneaters". We have snorkeled all over the world for almost 30 years, including on probably half of the Caribbean islands. Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean is at Grand Turk. We have seen small sharks, but they were more afraid of us.

As mentioned, the cruise line is not going to put you in harms way. They won't take you where sharks are a problem.

Like CruiserBruce we have snorkeled all over. The only time we saw a shark was in Bora Bora and we did that on purpose - the sharks stayed at a long distance away - I was first in the water and got to see them and take some photos but the last people in the water didn't even get to see them. Have fun snorkeling - BTW - not much to see snorkeling at HMC. There are lots of Angel fish there that will come around you if you bring a box of Chereois from the ship.

My partner and I signed up for the Champagne Sail and Snorkel in St. Thomas, we took a catamaran to Honeymoon Beach in St. John and were snorkeling in about 20 feet of water with a group of 45. We suddenly noticed three huge masses swimming directly below us, they were three nurse sharks about 10 feet long. Needless to say it startled us and we quickly moved away. I understand that nurse sharks are mostly harmless to humans as they do not attack unless provoked but we didn't want to stay around and find out.

My partner and I signed up for the Champagne Sail and Snorkel in St. Thomas, we took a catamaran to Honeymoon Beach in St. John and were snorkeling in about 20 feet of water with a group of 45. We suddenly noticed three huge masses swimming directly below us, they were three nurse sharks about 10 feet long. Needless to say it startled us and we quickly moved away. I understand that nurse sharks are mostly harmless to humans as they do not attack unless provoked but we didn't want to stay around and find out.

Than is one of the things I would watch for when diving. When fish start to move away from the area something is coming.

Like CruiserBruce we have snorkeled all over. The only time we saw a shark was in Bora Bora and we did that on purpose - the sharks stayed at a long distance away - I was first in the water and got to see them and take some photos but the last people in the water didn't even get to see them. Have fun snorkeling - BTW - not much to see snorkeling at HMC. There are lots of Angel fish there that will come around you if you bring a box of Chereois from the ship.

Please do not feed fish Cheerios (or anything else for that matter). It is a leading cause of the loss of diversity in many snorkeling spots. The more aggressive fish just out compete those that are less aggressive leaving the area with one or two types of fish.

Feeding of wildlife is seldom a good idea. Aim for observations not interaction!

Off my soapbox now....

Do not worry about sharks in the Caribbean. Just remember do not to wear any jewelry when snorkeling including rings, bracelets or necklaces. Sharks sometimes think the sun reflecting off the jewelry may appear to be a small fish and may attack. In 2010 a fellow snorker was bitten by a black tip shark in the South Pacific. He was wearing his rings.

As far as best places to snorkel.

St Thomas: we go to the Sapphire Beach Resort, one of best places to snorkel from beach. Many variety of fish and never seen any sharks. Resort is open to public. You can rent lounge chairs and snorkel gear. Take taxi to get there.

Grand Turks: I have snorkel from beach at end of pier where ship docks. I have seen sharks and stingrays under pier.

Please do not feed fish Cheerios (or anything else for that matter). It is a leading cause of the loss of diversity in many snorkeling spots. The more aggressive fish just out compete those that are less aggressive leaving the area with one or two types of fish.

Feeding of wildlife is seldom a good idea. Aim for observations not interaction!

Off my soapbox now....

Also please don't touch anything. EX. touching coral can kill it.

If your ship has a snorkeling excursion toTrunk Bay in St. John. There is a underwater marked trail there.

Edited by geocruiser

Off my soapbox now....

Use your soapbox anytime you have such good information/advice. :):cool:

I think fear of sharks is normal. Sharks can be anywhere, but you don't hear of many attacks! I just happened to look over my shoulder for my buddy while diving in Cozumel and saw 3 hammerheads behind my two friends. It was so cool! I got their attention by using the hand signal for shark. Boy did they move fast when they turned around! The three of us linked arms and got real big, which probably meant nothing! We were on the bottom. They circled a couple of times and took off in front of a large group of divers. They did not see the hammerheads. According to the locals, hammerheads are not found as much in that area. Guess we were lucky.

My son and I saw a reef shark as well.

While snorkeling in the Galapagos, we saw many sharks. Not sure what kind, did know at the time, they left us alone. Sharks are not keeping me out of the water unless there are warnings posted. Your chance of seeing sharks is low.

Never feed fish! Do snorkel and enjoy the experience.:cool:

Off my soapbox now....

You need to tell the HAL folks that work on HMC - they were the one's that were feeding them.

There are many more sharks in the water than you know. Overhead video and pictures of beaches often shows them swimming close into shore among swimmers who are oblivious to their presence.

They obviously rarely bite humans, and they are confusing them with a seal. Don't swim where birds or seals are feeding; it will attract sharks who are looking for food as well. Surfers wearing wet suits are sometimes mistaken for frolicking seals. Sharks are usually just as afraid of you as you are of them.

We saw a big shark in the Galapagos, a Galapagos or a bull shark. It was very interested in me, and followed me as I retreated quickly to shore, much to my dismay, but after checking me out it swam away. It could have eaten me for lunch if it had wanted to. It was just curious. Too bad we couldn't communicate and become acquainted without being fearful.

There are so many swimmers and snorkelers in the water, and so few shark bites. You are unlikely to see or encounter one. I've been diving and snorkeling for years, have seen a few, never been hurt. Don't be afraid, just enjoy yourself and the beautiful environment. Like all predators, they choose prey that is separated from its group and vulnerable. Stay together in a group and you'll be fine.

Sharks really aren't as bad as Shark Week and other shows make them out to be. I've been SCUBA diving with sharks many times (I think they are beautiful) and nothing has ever happened. I'm sure the people with the tour will take good care of you. If I had a phobia I'd try my hardest to work through it, because you really shouldn't miss the beauty of the snorkeling available in the Caribbean (and if you're ever in Hawaii don't miss out here too LOL).

We are vacationing on Maui next week (we have visited Hawaii many times in the past) and recent shark attacks in the Makena area have been quite bad. Here is a list of shark attacks in Hawaii, and you can add the poor German girl who was killed in late August less than 100 yards off the Makena area beaches. This took palce less than a mile from our hotel and less than two months ago. We will not be swimming/snorkeling in that area!

http://www.hawaiisharks.com/incidents.html

Quite frankly, I am getting real tired of hearing that sharks are not a problem and that more people die in cars, etc, etc. Tiger sharks in Hawaii are a real problem and the problem has been getting worse in the last two years. Mayor Arakawa has taken the visitor industry's position right out of the Jaws movie and has declared that he will do nothing about it (as long as the tourist keep on coming).

So, take care, do your homework, always swim/snorkel with a crowd, and don't be the farthest one out. This is not the time to enjoy solitude.

igraf

Sharks really aren't as bad as Shark Week and other shows make them out to be. I've been SCUBA diving with sharks many times (I think they are beautiful) and nothing has ever happened. I'm sure the people with the tour will take good care of you. If I had a phobia I'd try my hardest to work through it, because you really shouldn't miss the beauty of the snorkeling available in the Caribbean (and if you're ever in Hawaii don't miss out here too LOL).
Edited by igraf

Most of our vacations revolve around snorkeling. Have spent hours and hours in the ocean. The only time I saw a shark was while snorkeling Tunnels on Kauai, but it was swimming away (which I was very happy about!).

As for where to snorkel on your cruise, we went to Grand Turk twice because the snorkeling/diving was suppose to be so good. Both times the surf was too rough except right there by the ship (BTW---I was surprised how interesting snorkeling was right there by the ship). On ST. Thomas we've gone to Sapphire and over to Trunk Bay, St. John, but must have been there on off days since snorkeling wasn't that good either place. At HMC, I did the snorkel excursion and was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The last time we were at HMC, we actually had decent snorkeling right by the kids play area out by the rope. We've been there 3 times and the other 2 times we only saw schools of angel fish. This last time we saw them, groupers, an octopus, a gray triggerfish, a school of barracudas, and lots of smaller fish. I have underwater pictures of the snorkeling at those ports in my blogs here:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/search/label/half%20moon%20cay

What I have found is when I would be SCUBA diving or snorkeling that my field of vision is not that great. The mask cuts down on your vision from the side. For me it was more like a little tunnel vision. So, I would miss seeing some this from the side.

We are vacationing on Maui next week (we have visited Hawaii many times in the past) and recent shark attacks in the Makena area have been quite bad. Here is a list of shark attacks in Hawaii, and you can add the poor German girl who was killed in late August less than 100 yards off the Makena area beaches. This took palce less than a mile from our hotel and less than two months ago. We will not be swimming/snorkeling in that area!

http://www.hawaiisharks.com/incidents.html

Quite frankly, I am getting real tired of hearing that sharks are not a problem and that more people die in cars, etc, etc. Tiger sharks in Hawaii are a real problem and the problem has been getting worse in the last two years. Mayor Arakawa has taken the visitor industry's position right out of the Jaws movie and has declared that he will do nothing about it (as long as the tourist keep on coming).

So, take care, do your homework, always swim/snorkel with a crowd, and don't be the farthest one out. This is not the time to enjoy solitude.

igraf

8 million tourists visit our islands each year. Add that to the 1.1 million residents and make the assumption that a fair number of those visitors and residents take a dip in the Pacific and we've had only 8 shark attacks this year. Of those 8 only 1 fatality. Yes, that's more than last year, but tourism is also on the rise. Any certified SCUBA diver knows that you shouldn't dive without a buddy, and that same rule should apply to snorkeling.

Traffic in Hawaii (O'ahu specifically) is horrendous and we've had far more traffic fatalities (average is between 120-150 deaths a year) than shark attacks.

Our government isn't going to "do anything" about the sharks because sharks played an important role among the ancient Hawaiians, and are considered by some as ‘aumākua, personal or family gods, and sacred guardians and protectors that should be respected.

Edited by AlohaPride

i believe we will be on the same itinerary. i hope you are able to get past those fears and snorkel. we have seen squid, barracuda, turtles, sea snakes and nurse sharks, and i always feel pretty lucky to be in there and able to see it. we usually see about 50% of all the fish on the fish cards they lend you on the catamaran. i highly recommend the ship excursion snorkel trips! we live in the eastern sierra mountains where people fear bears and i can count on one hand the number of times i have acutally seen them. like so many other things, they are not as fierce as they are made out to be. have a good cruise. you are getting out there and doing it. good for you.

Ok, Certified Dive Master and Shark Awareness Instructor checking in:

Could you suffer a shark attack in the water----Yep it happens a few times every year.

Your ship could also catch on fire,sink, or you could fall overboard.You could fall down the stairs onboard.

Being the victim of a fatal shark attack has about the same odds of winning Powerball !!!!! More people are killed by vending machines falling on them every year than by shark attack. I don't go around fearing Coke machines. More people die by coconuts falling and hitting them in the head than by shark attack every year. I ain't scared to much by trees on the beach.

Divers pay Big Money to see and interact with sharks. Consider it a very special treat if you see one snorkeling.

In the Bahamas and Grand Turk you could certainly encounter a Caribbean reef Shark on the walls.Nurse Sharks are very common on the reefs.I RESPECT sharks but I have never had a shark threaten me and I have intereacted with many of them while diving.

The simple fact is that Man is far more dangerous to sharks than sharks are to man. We kill millions of sharks every year (shark fin soup,etc). When the apex predator disappers the reefs and oceans suffer greatly.The end result is a very unhealthy marine enviroment.

Please,get out and enjoy the beautiful reefs.The snorkeling is fantastic.If you are lucky enough to see a shark, stop and admire one of nature's most fascinating creatures.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dive Master

I didn't mention the old beliefs out of politeness, but since you brought it up I will say that ancient beliefs do not make it true or even relevant to modern society. Sharks are not the souls of ancestors and Hawaiian policies are being driven by tourist dollars. The local government desperately wants to hush up the shark problem, and the last thing that they want to do is to draw attention to the problem with an active shark abatement program. If there is an attack all they do is close the beach for a day and then reopen the beach as quickly as possible when "no sharks are sighted". Again, right out of the Jaws movie.

Please don't bring up automobile accidents unless you willing and able to calculate statistics. You have to divide the number of injuries and fatalities by the number of man-hours of at-risk time. To brief, the number of man-hours of people driving cars is much, much higher than the number of man-hours of people swimming in the ocean. You will find that the shark risk to be higher than you think.

igraf

8 million tourists visit our islands each year. Add that to the 1.1 million residents and make the assumption that a fair number of those visitors and residents take a dip in the Pacific and we've had only 8 shark attacks this year. Of those 8 only 1 fatality. Yes, that's more than last year, but tourism is also on the rise. Any certified SCUBA diver knows that you shouldn't dive without a buddy, and that same rule should apply to snorkeling.

Traffic in Hawaii (O'ahu specifically) is horrendous and we've had far more traffic fatalities (average is between 120-150 deaths a year) than shark attacks.

Our government isn't going to "do anything" about the sharks because sharks played an important role among the ancient Hawaiians, and are considered by some as ‘aumākua, personal or family gods, and sacred guardians and protectors that should be respected.