Greetings from the Whisper

duct tape

We have been out a few days but very busy with ports every day. We left NYC in nice weather and enjoyed the sail away past the Statue of Liberty. Funny visual in the cruise terminal. For those of you familiar with boating towns, on the 4th of July folks say you could walk across the water while waiting for the fireworks to begin, there are so many boats. I felt like that in NYC, I could walk across the sea of blazers to get to the ship! No kids noted on the ship. Capt Luigi Rutigliano, Norman Rafelson, HD, Fernando, CD, Gabor, Tour Desk, Christianr, CC, Sergio de Moura, maitre'd, Kiri, sommelier and Ricardo Dotti, Chef. The first night out in LaTerrazza was the best pasta and sauce I have had since the inception of the idea. The house wines are improving, must be thanx to the new wine guy, Lawrence d'Almeida. Weather chilly but sunny.

Portland, Maine, a charming town full of life. Went to the Portland Museum of Art. As expected, American seascapes and landscapes by Winslow Homer,Andrew Wyeth and Edward Hopper. Very nice collection with a special exhibit of drawings done by Homer during the Civil War. Long excursion to kennebunkport with multiple local tours.

P.S. about Portland, the LLBean has closed. Another beautiful day in St John, New Brunswick. Cy chilly in the morning but warms up quickly with the sun. Another charming town. Tours around town and the area as well as to points of interest around the Bay of Fundy, a contender for the largest tides in the world. We did a comprehensive Trolley Tour, debarked at the food market and walked. Down to the waterfront via a covered walkway that includes, escalators, elevators and glass enclosed passages. There were more craft and food vendors along the harbor and a duty-free type tent only for cruise ship passengers. There is a Hugh Princess in front of us on the dock. More lobster rolls!

SS has no info about a CC meet and mingle. Will try to organize myself. Nice day in Newport, lobster and chowda' while looking over the old America' Cup yachts in the harbor. Excursions to the cottages, River Walk, etc

Where did you go in Newport--Black Pearl, Cook House or the Mooring??? ;)

How are the colours looking Duct tape? Will we be too late on the return Montreal to NYC?

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think you may hit it perfectly south of Maine. :D

Peak in New England is traditionally this weekend, but everything is a week late. Plus, due to the weather, they said the colors will EPIC! :)

How's, Don't want to disappoint you but the color was a little early this year. Newport and south should be ok.

We live in the middle of NH, should be peak right now; is past, however, and wind is a big problem.

How interesting! we live in Rhode Island but I work in Boston. Both are at about 30% color. I guess it just depends where you are!

How are the colours looking Duct tape? Will we be too late on the return Montreal to NYC?

Chris

My brother in Montreal phoned to wish me a happy thanksgiving so I asked about the colours around the city. They are just about to peak. You should be fine. Here's a link you might find useful.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/automne0.html

Just arrived in Halifax, NS. Some color in the trees but not too much, some red, some bare trees, lots of pines. It is getting there. No, emtbsam, I misspoke. LLBean s still in business, they closed the store there. Dusababy, the service remains outstanding. in all honesty it is difficult for me to be objective sometimes since I think the crew would breathe for me if I asked them! We will go take a stroll along the km. long Boardwalk and watch the activities. Lunch at Salty's. beautiful, sunny, chilly day (10 C, 50 F).

My brother in Montreal phoned to wish me a happy thanksgiving so I asked about the colours around the city. They are just about to peak. You should be fine. Here's a link you might find useful.

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/automne0.html

You know, we have been so delighted and overwhelmed with the assistance that all you seasoned SS cruisers have given us, since I joined CC and started asking questions as a totally new cruiser last year.

My husband Ken & I fly out of Australia tomorrow and after 30 hrs either in the air or sitting in airport lounges, our 10th wedding anniversary/retirement celebration trip will begin.

Just a little niggle to start our trip though, I have just been diagnosed with a stress fracture in my foot, so have to curtail some of the more active stuff we planned and rest it as often as possible.

BUT nothing will deter from the excitement, expectation and enjoyment of this much awaited trip on the Whisper and the following 5 weeks touring Canada/USA.

Thank you all, especially those who have actively answered my questions and offered advice.

Chris

last weekend in Bahhh Hahhhbahhh, they said they had 35-40% colour so there was still a way to go. Glad to hear we seem to have left the Whisper in good shape for you, Duct Tape, and that the weather is sunny, if a little cold.

Chris, just put your foot up and enjoy being waited on when you get on board, it is very addictive!

Rp

Hi, Rosepark and your DH! It was wonderful to sail with you two again. I agree with your earlier review. The Whisper was better than ever on the recent Montreal to NYC segment. We thought that the food was outstanding, the ship spotless and, in all, the ship was beautifully run. That is Norman, the HD, for you! He runs a tight ship. I was so pleased to hear from several of the crew, in a wide variety of positions, that he is strict, but very fair. We think his influence truly shows.

I guess the foliage show could have been more dramatic, but we honestly didn't care. We had a superb time, capped off by the spectacular fireworks from a barge moored directly behind the Whisper on the Hudson River. With SS we have many years of unforgettable memories, but those fireworks are close to the top of our list. No one expected this, and it was truly fabulous. Bravo to the brilliant staff in the Terrasse. As Rosepark wrote, we were all jumping up and down from the tables during the breathtaking arrival into NYC. The service was terrific inspite of all the interruptions.

Havenotbeen able to sign onto CC for a few days. Not sure why. Sydney was another nice town with local musicians giving a free concert in the terminal. Very enjoyable. Charlottetown was a good ride on the Trolley Tour, lots of shopping and the usual, but very good, lobster rolls as well as the best lobster bisque yet. Very active and well attended Disco after the show that evening. The singers work as hard as the crew! Finally @sea yesterday. SS finally got around to the CC Meet n Mingle up in the Observation Lounge. Only 6 of us but it was nice to meet mylisa and her sister and spouses. I think they are pleased woth their first SS cruise. Galley lunch after a cocktail competition which Marwell won. Weather getting chilly and a little damper now. We are in Sangueney today and the river is lined with some color. There is a local show this afternoon complete with farm animals and a cast of 200. Will be very interesting.

Archived