Stone crabs

jackdiamond

Princess used to do a Seafood Buffet on Embarkation night in their Horizon Buffet ( casual dining ), and that featured crab legs among others, but alas, this has been eliminated some years ago...

Ya, we used to load a plate up and take it back to our balcony for a little happy hour. Miss those treats.

241mnfa.jpg

stone crabs are flash cooked on the boat. Restaurants basically thaw and serve. Much ado about nothing, at least in my experience and I've done the Stone Crab festival on Longboat Key in Sarasota and Joes Stone Crab in Miami Beach. We will serve a platter to houseguests that qualify as tourists for their first visit. After that they are on their own <G>

Diving for them might be fun, if you could do it on a stop off during a cruise. That might be hilarious. You twist off one claw and leave the other intact. The little bugger crawl off and they regrow a new claw by the next year.... very environmentally friendly. Usually very watery given the way they are cooked in situ. LMF

We used to go to Joe's in Miami for our precruise dinner. One cruise we decided against the expensive taxi ride from the Intercontinental. We 'happened' on Happy Hour at Trutanich - two blocks from the hotel. Good stone crabs with half price drinks. The last cruise we stayed in Fort Lauderdale. I picked a hotel near the shopping center as there was a Trutanich a block away. The stone crabs were good but the New Orleans shrimp were the absolute best.

We 'happened' on Happy Hour at Trutanich - two blocks from the hotel. Good stone crabs with half price drinks. The last cruise we stayed in Fort Lauderdale. I picked a hotel near the shopping center as there was a Trutanich a block away. The stone crabs were good but the New Orleans shrimp were the absolute best.

There is one on Brickell Avenue in Miami and another at The Galleria [on Sunrise Boulevard] in Fort Lauderdale...

Great restaurants--good food in pleasant surroundings--and always very popular with friends when visiting the area... The New Orleans Shrimp was the give away!

On our Equinox cruise last March, shellfish was in short supply. You could get a shrimp cocktail, but that was about it -- aside from small lobster tails on the last formal night. Even the MDR Gala Brunch was lacking the usual cold seafood table. It was replaced by a ceviche station. :rolleyes:

We 'happened' on Happy Hour at Trutanich - two blocks from the hotel. Good stone crabs with half price drinks. The last cruise we stayed in Fort Lauderdale. I picked a hotel near the shopping center as there was a Trutanich a block away. The stone crabs were good but the New Orleans shrimp were the absolute best.

There is one on Brickell Avenue in Miami and another at The Galleria [on Sunrise Boulevard] in Fort Lauderdale...

Great restaurants--good food in pleasant surroundings--and always very popular with friends when visiting the area... The New Orleans Shrimp was the give away!

I think you both meant Truluck's - there is one on Brickell Avenue in Miami, and one at the Galleria in Fort Lauderdale. Neither have a "Trutanich"..:)

Yea finding them on any ship would be less than nill, however I will be dining at Joe's Stone Crabs on South Beach tomorrow night. This is their Centennial Year. :D

Mouth is already watering figuring I'll order a plate of "Selects" (extra mustard sauce please), hash brown potatoes, creamed spinach and a slice of key lime pie. :eek: A good Chardonnay helps too! Thank the heavens for October 15th.

2MC

They are the best:p I will be there next Friday and looking forward to every minute. Love Joe's . And don't forget to try the grilled tomatoes.:)

I think you both meant Truluck's - there is one on Brickell Avenue in Miami, and one at the Galleria in Fort Lauderdale. Neither have a "Trutanich"..:)

That's why I captioned my post "Might You Be Referring To Truluck's?"!!! :)

I also happen to like Billy's Stone Crab on Hollywood Beach... If I'm not mistaken, Billy is Joe's [of Joe's Stone Crab fame] son-in law...

Billy's in Hollywood is great. Nothing beats taking a beach break and walking over to Billy's, sitting outside on the intercoastal, eating some claws and mustard sauce with a cold beer. Billy is joe's son in law.

I live on Ocean Drive about 1.5 miles south of Billy's [just enough to pique my appetite on the walk there and to walk off dinner on the way back]--with the Intracoastal as my back yard...

Not exactly hardship duty... Glad you enjoy the area too; come see us!

At least I knew it started with a 'T'. A big must do on my next trip to Florida.

Not being from FL, never had them, but two things I've wondered........

First, when in a restaurant, do you need to do cracking? Looks like it could be tough.

Also, with the stone shell, is there much meat compared to total weight, say, compared to a king crab leg?

Not being from FL, never had them, but two things I've wondered........

First, when in a restaurant, do you need to do cracking? Looks like it could be tough.

Also, with the stone shell, is there much meat compared to total weight, say, compared to a king crab leg?

It is tough to crack them, but they are served cracked in the restaurant.

You are served only the claw. It is already cracked but sometimes can be hard to retrieve. The claws are generally caught and quickly cooked and frozen. How they are thawed is critical. Too quick, via microwave for example, and you have a watery bit of meat. No way to compare to a king crab leg.

That's why I captioned my post "Might You Be Referring To Truluck's?"!!! :)

Sorry, I didn't catch the heading at first. Just got an email from Truluck's indicating stone crabs are on the menu, and have the all-you-can eat night in FLL also (season started Oct. 15):)

I also happen to like Billy's Stone Crab on Hollywood Beach... If I'm not mistaken, Billy is Joe's [of Joe's Stone Crab fame] son-in law...
That is the story I've heard as well. I believe he used to be married to the daughter and was the seafood purchaser for Joe's long ago.

The OP asked a legitimate question which was answered quite quickly. This thread has now become a restaurant review and dining tips. Could be a good thread on "Food and Restaurant Critic". Amazing how these things take on a life of their own.

The one in Naples has an all you can eat on Monday for $69.00, for the medium and $79.00, for the larger ones.

The OP asked a legitimate question which was answered quite quickly. This thread has now become a restaurant review and dining tips. Could be a good thread on "Food and Restaurant Critic". Amazing how these things take on a life of their own.

Chowhound is the food/restaurant equivalent of Cruise Critic. Useful site if you ever need restaurant advice while traveling.

Archived