Stone crabs

jackdiamond

Now, that they are in season do you suppose that Celebrity will offer same on their Caribbean cruises.

Have they in the past? Don't recall seeing them on the Blu menu. They do serve a wonderful soft shell crab in Blu.

Have they in the past? Don't recall seeing them on the Blu menu. They do serve a wonderful soft shell crab in Blu.

The first time in Blu I had them and they were very good.

The next time they were over done, the breading was burnt to a crisp, and they were dried out because of that.

The next time they must have been deep fried in oil that wasn't hot enough and they were very greasy. The breading was sopping in grease and the crab was soggy.

Again it all depends. Still keep ordering them, as I am not forced to eat it if it isn't any good.

The next time they were over done, the breading was burnt to a crisp, and they were dried out because of that.

The next time they must have been deep fried in oil that wasn't hot enough and they were very greasy. The breading was sopping in grease and the crab was soggy.

Again it all depends. Still keep ordering them, as I am not forced to eat it if it isn't any good.

Perhaps I should have said "potentially wonderful".

Those aren't stone crabs which are only served steamed or boiled. Stone crabs are in the range of $35 a pound and that includes the weight of the thick shells. They are wonderful, but enjoy them when you get to florida....

Those aren't stone crabs which are only served steamed or boiled. Stone crabs are in the range of $35 a pound and that includes the weight of the thick shells. They are wonderful, but enjoy them when you get to florida....

Refering to the soft shell crabs that are serve in Blu as a appetizer, not stone crabs.

Yea finding them on any ship would be less than nill, however I will be dining at Joe's Stone Crabs on South Beach tomorrow night. This is their Centennial Year. :D

Mouth is already watering figuring I'll order a plate of "Selects" (extra mustard sauce please), hash brown potatoes, creamed spinach and a slice of key lime pie. :eek: A good Chardonnay helps too! Thank the heavens for October 15th.

2MC

Yea finding them on any ship would be less than nill, however I will be dining at Joe's Stone Crabs on South Beach tomorrow night. This is their Centennial Year. :D

Mouth is already watering figuring I'll order a plate of "Selects" (extra mustard sauce please), hash brown potatoes, creamed spinach and a slice of key lime pie. :eek: A good Chardonnay helps too! Thank the heavens for October 15th.

2MC

A very good move.

2MC

Love that place even though it's almost impossible to get in.

With large Stone Crab claws going for about $ 100.00 a pound on line and just under half that off the supermarket... Even the specilty restaurants will never have them IMHO

02_lg_large_600x400_(1).jpg?1381648687

You must be buying stone crabs in the wrong place!

Here's an article in today's Miami Herald explain that Joe's Stone Crab is paying only $7 a pound for the claws:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/15/3691657/crabbers-to-joes-stone-crab-restaurant.html

We've never seen stone crabs on any ship. We will be in Miami in March and will be going to Joe's if at all possible. We used to have a tradition of going to Monty's at the South Beach Marina for stone crabs and huge lobster tails. On our last visit we found out that Monty's had closed the restaurant and had become an icky marina dive.

Archived