Why anytime dining?

Dicecatt

We've had the same table and same wait staff every night with ATD....just note the table number the first night and ask for it every evening when you get to the desk - might have had a wait one or two nights, but never more than a few minutes, and we stayed right near the desk...

Or ask for a table in your favorite waiters area. If we like a certain waiter, the table doesn't matter to us as much as getting into his area....could make the wait a little shorter for you.

love the replies. I think the long lines Ilve been reading about are in the FTTF threads When people Are asking if skipping the line is a perk.

we have had good luck most of the time meeting great folks at dinner (or if they aren't great, we have fun talking about it later) and having a set time means my whole family Knows when we Meet for dinner. I can see the benefit Of anytime dining though- especially if you can skip the MDR "entertainment"

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Forums mobile app

Just returned from the Pride out of Baltimore and my GF and I did "your time dining" for the 1st time. We liked it as we did not ask for a table for 2 and enjoyed sitting with other passengers every night. The only time we had to wait was one night when we did not go to dinner until 7pm. If one goes anytime from 5:45 to 6:30 you will most likely not have to wait unless you want a table for 2.

ATD can work in one's advantage depending on the ports - some days the ship docked or anchor early to tender, other days it's a late arrival with evening sailing - last thing that we want to do is to "rush" back for the First Seating at 6 PM b/c that is the designated time ... You can vary and adjust meal times based on that day's schedule & planned activities. Besides, there's always something available to munch on at the Lido or Room Service in between. Getting pampered in the MDR and served by a team of waiter is part of the cruise experience for us, including ATD (also known as Freestyle Dining over at NCL, RCI has something similar as well but we hated their setup ...)

We're waitlisted for the regular MDR but managed to get our entire group seated for the Second round, otherwise, we're all prepared to go ATD (and, something we will most likely do when only the 2 of us sail next time on CCL.) Our ship didn't dock in Old San Juan until 3 PM and we're in the 2nd. wave of folks not in a rush to hit dry land, and sure not going to rush back to eat at 6 PM (nor pay extra and eat somewhere else) - easier to deal with on full sea days when everyone is onboard. And, we would then try to go and eat when it isn't as busy with a shorter line or no wait.

I've never had to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes, I like being able to dine when I want plus I usually do not eat in the MDR every night and I don't have to worry about being rude by not showing up to my table mates, and when I'm cruising solo I prefer to eat alone, not that I'm anti social, I just prefer dining solo.

Because I'm on vacation. Ain't nobody going to tell me where I have to be at any specific time. I like the option of going to dinner whenever I want. I don't like sitting at dinner with people that I don't know.(I like to meet new people, just not while I am trying to eat dinner.)

We have never waited more than I'd say 10 minutes but only cause I don't wear a watch on vacation.(I think it was a lot less than that though)

edit: Also I really like to go to sleep early'ish. Go to dinner early, then the show, then catch both Adult only comedy shows, then to sleep... Cause I am old and I like to sleep!!

I'm like you, I like to meet new people but not while I'm trying to eat.

I understand why people would want flexibility, but it seems like When anytime dining is mentioned in a thread it is associated with long lines. I liKe traditional dining (late) but if anytime has such lines, why do people Choose it?

We always chose the anytime option because it's so nice not to be restricted by a clock. If we want to spend extra time doing an activity, or just aren't hungry yet it's no problem. Also it's a table for two, so we don't have to dit with strangers. So far we've never had to wait, watch this upcoming cruise be the first because I probably just jinx'd us haha. You should try it!:D

We like ATD for a few reasons

1. Flexibility - we can eat on our schedule, and if we don't feel like the MDR that night we aren't being rude to tablemates who may be waiting. Sometimes we eat late in port and may not want dinner at exactly 5:45...
  2. Incompatible tablemates - it only takes one time with bad tablemates to never want to go back to that again
  3. If we like our waitstaff, we can ask for them again and again. If we don't like the waitstaff, we can request another area.
  4. New friends - if we meet new friends that we want to have dinner with, we can do that. We met a group of people from CC several years ago and it was great to have dinner with them one night during the cruise. We are going on our 3rd reunion cruise next year - and it's likely we'll have dinner together on one of the nights.

I'm like you, I like to meet new people but not while I'm trying to eat.

I don't want to sit with people I don't know when I am eating. Cause I don't want to be THAT girl who orders 3 appetizers, an entre and 2 desserts!! I want to be able to eat as much as I want and not worry about the people at my table judging me! Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

We did it on our last cruise so we could either eat with the two toddlers in our group, or we could get them settled in kids club then go for an adult dinner without them. Honestly though, the service was noticeably better at the main dinner times so I'm not sure we would do it again.

We have done Anytime Dining on the Victory and loved the flexibility. We never had a long wait...I think the longest we waited was 10 minutes? We just went to get a drink at the bar while we waited. We always ate between 6:30 and 7:30pm.

The only thing I didn't like was the service was always hit and miss. This time when I find someone I like, hopefully early in the cruise, I will ask for them again. This may increase my wait time but it'll be worth it. Bad service is the worst.

I understand why people would want flexibility, but it seems like When anytime dining is mentioned in a thread it is associated with long lines. I liKe traditional dining (late) but if anytime has such lines, why do people Choose it?

On the Magic, the longest wait was about 5 to 7 minutes to be seated. That was only on one night. Every other night, it was a couple of minutes to wait in line. (Northern Lights Dining Room)

Early seating is too early for us and Late seating is too late. Plus we prefer a table for two. Anytime Dining is the perfect answer for us! We've used it a couple of times and never waited over 15 minutes. We'd wait that long on shore so the tiny wait does not bother us, gives us time to get a drink too since I've given up on being served a drink with dinner by an actual waiter!

This will be my first time with ATD on Carnival but have done MTD on RCI and the Freestyle on NCL. I love being able to have a flexible schedule and not have to rush back on a port day to try to get ready for early dining (late is too late for me). I don't like the traditional dining and sitting with strangers ( I hate small talk). I have been stuck with some real doozies before. I also like not having to sit at a table and wait for others who can't be there on time which delays service.

I was always a fan of traditional dining, meeting others, same wait staff, etc. We tried ATD a few years ago and LOVED it. We can sit with others if we are in the mood, have never waited more that 10 minutes, which was a Formal night @ 7ish, and most important to me I am not a slave to the clock. My working hours are spent in meetings and with deadlines ATD provides total freedom to do what I want when I want :D heavenly!

Mainly to avoid the servers' dancing routines. Mrs. don't mind them, me I don't like it (the servers are really tired already, both physical and mental). That's just me though since I know a lot of people love those "shows".

Ugh, me too. I would love to skip that part, it just seems so forced.

I'm sure it works fine if it's 2-4 people, but trying to get 18 people to decide when they want to go to dinner every night and get them to get there is like herding cats. So it's easiest when we do traditional seating so that question is taken out of the equation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One of our favorite things of the cruise is dinner at the MDR. Traditional dining for us. Love having a set time, same table and same waiters every night.

Same with us. We like the formality of it and we absolutely enjoy meeting others. Some times we have great conversation, sometimes people are quieter, but all in all we enjoy the larger table and the set time.

Archived