Is it possible?

BoardwalkBabe

Has anyone ever been successful in cancelling a cruise and redirecting that money towards another one? Or is it just a lost cause? We have insurance, but it won't cover this issue.

My in laws canceled about 2 weeks before sailing several years ago due to medical reasons. They wrote a letter asking for credit and it was given for a future cruise within 2 years I think. They didn't have insurance. It was a cheap/short cruise though, the credit was only about $500.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Has anyone ever been successful in cancelling a cruise and redirecting that money towards another one? Or is it just a lost cause? We have insurance, but it won't cover this issue.

Too little information to really give an answer.

We had to cancel 3 cabins last year and were charged $50 per person and the remainder was put on future credit that had to be used within 2 years. I just used that credit to book the Triumph for next week and used the credit and still have a $40 balance for the next one. It was very simple process with the Carnival PVP. You do not need to fill out anything just give them the cancellation reservation # and it was quick and easy. I was surprised at how easy it was.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, we did this a few months ago. I had booked the Dream for next September but my husbands work ended up scheduling an event and he wasn't going to be able to get time off. We were charged $50 per person but had $400 as a future credit for another cruise. I found a sailing I liked for next May and called Carnival and a very nice gentleman handled it and applied it toward that sailing.

you have to provide more information. when is the cruise? did you pay final payment? what type of deal did you book under?

with the answer to these, you might be able to find out your answer

This past July we were booked on the Pride for Feb 2014 and we decided to change to the Dream for November of this year. I just called Carnival and they changed it for us. There was no additional cost - our deposit was just moved from the one booking to the other.

Carnival has been known to make decisions like this on a case by case basis.

If your situation is extreme/very unusual, I would call first to see what they say.

If they can't/won't do anything for you over the phone, ask for the email to their Guest Administration Dept. Explain your case thoroughly and truthfully via email. This has worked for others, but understand that it is case by case.

you have to provide more information. when is the cruise? did you pay final payment? what type of deal did you book under?

with the answer to these, you might be able to find out your answer

People are answering, but we don't know the facts of this cruise. The way the post is worded, it sounds like the cruise might be in the penalty period.

I see you have Liberty listed in November. Is this the cruise in question?

People are answering, but we don't know the facts of this cruise. The way the post is worded, it sounds like the cruise might be in the penalty period.

I see you have Liberty listed in November. Is this the cruise in question?

I agree. People are answering "Yes" I was able to cancel but sounds like most that cancelled were before final payment which is no big deal.

OP maybe it would help if you were to tell us when the cruise is.

Ditto what the last 2 posters said. None of us, including those that have answered, can know the answer to your question. OP, we need to know if you are before your final payment date, and if you are not, then we need to know what rate you booked (Early Saver or not). There are different answers depending on those circumstances. Without that information, we cannot give you a correct answer.

Some people have claimed the $50pp penalty and applying the rest to a future cruise. But that only applies if you booked Early Saver and are before final payment. Some people have claimed no penalty, but that only applies if they are not Early Saver and before final payment. If you are passed final payment, then there will be penalties assessed, and the penalty money is completely lost, and the rest will be refunded. The penalty amounts vary depending on the length of your cruise and how close to sailing you are when you cancel. The minimum penalty will be your deposit amount. As it gets closer to the sail date, the penalty percentage goes up.

I just changed a cruise between tortola is cancelled and have been to St Thomas to many times, so I called and they just transferred all monies to the new cruise. Hope this helps you.

Nancy

In this case, it was done because they changed the port of call. They allow you to do that for a short period of time after they make a change. There is another posting explaining this on the board right now.

The reason for the cancellation is personal and my trip insurance doesn't cover it (don't have cancel for any reason). Final payment was made, Early Saver wasn't part of the rate and we're supposed to sail on the 9th. Big possibility we won't be on the ship. I will call my PVP today and see what he says. We have a deposit on another cruise in March but I'm not sure we're going to make that one either. :(

Archived