VD upgraded to VA on Eurodam - what's the difference?

Ineke

Our T.A. called HAL today to see if we might qualify for the promo package that applies to the second half of our Collector's cruise on the Eurodam. As expected, the answer is No, but we were offered an upgrade to a VA guarantee, on the Navigation Deck. What is the difference? I can't see any except that the VD cabins on the Upper Promenade deck have larger balconies? I'm sure somebody out there has a good answer.

Views might be better higher up, but I too would prefer the VD. :) Of course next Spring all the deck 4 VD become VA, VB, or VC, so you could then be "upgraded" from a deck 7 VD to a deck 4 VA!!! :rolleyes:

We are taking the Noordam in December and we are booked in a VD. We too were offered a free upgrade to VA (navigation deck - 8 to be specific). Our TA said she would recommend staying in VD and we thought the same. We definitely do not mind being on deck 4 vs 8 and VD has a bigger verandah. IMO VA wasn't really an upgrade.....

I would agree with all the above about staying in the VD However, we have stayed on the navigation deck on the Eurodam and loved it. We were close to the stairs so in just seconds we were in the lido and close to the pool. We really liked the location particularly on the at sea days. For us the navigation deck worked.

Only difference is physical location on the ship. Otherwise, room sizes and amenities are identical.
But the VD balconies are deeper by 1.5 feet.
HAL is not unique when they consider a higher deck is an upgrade.
Until they change their mind next year and put VE and VF on deck 8, and VA and VB on deck 4!

Until they change their mind next year and put VE and VF on deck 8, and VA and VB on deck 4!

Thanks to the Mariners input in that survey last year, they know exactly where the most prized Veranda cabins. I would take a current VD on the Upper Promenade any day over a VA!

They are already doing that for future sailings. Higher is not better. They flip flopped the SS and SY suites. SS used to be on Deck 8 (beneath the Lido) and now the SY suites are there and the SS suites are where the SY suites used to be.

The good VD cabins with double balconies will now be VBs etc etc.

It's all about location, location. Cabin size would be the same.
But balconies are not. I would be very angry to book a Nieuw A deck 8 VA (after April 5th) with a 7 foot deep balcony and be "upgraded" to a deck 5 V (currently VE) with a 4 foot balcony right over the lifeboats. So, after doing 9 guarantees, from now on we will only choose a specific cabin and have it marked "Do Not Upgrade".

Well, the saga continues. I did not know that DH had told TA to go ahead and book the VA on the Navigation Deck, and when I found out I suggested he call and try to get the VD again - love the idea of a larger balcony. Meanwhile...as they say...he noticed that there had been another price reduction and another offer of OBC listed today, so back on the phone with the T.A. Poor lady, here she thought this was going to be a simple booking (we promised her :). She called HAL again, and again no dice on promos BUT they would upgrade us to a category V. The nice man at HAL said the balcony is the same size as the VD but we are on the Navigation Deck. Oh, and they'll give us $75.00 OBC. So DH said OK to that. Guess there's no moving back to the VD on the Upper Promenade. Any feedback? Makes you wonder about booking ahead, really what is the best time to book? Of course we had lots of trouble finding a decent flight, and are now having to fly out of Seattle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm going on a cruise :)

... they would upgrade us to a category V. The nice man at HAL said the balcony is the same size as the VD but we are on the Navigation Deck. ... Any feedback?
We had V8057 on the Nieuw A and loved it! The overhang from the Lido gives plenty of shade, which we prefer. I measured the balcony as 7 ft deep, or just 0.5 ft less than the VD, and it is fully covered, unlike the VD. We did NOT have noise from the Lido deck except for about 1.5 hours on the night of the Dessert Extravaganza.

Enjoy!

Archived