Butler and Concierge tipping

AjBren2

Yes, you can have the tips placed on your shipboard account. We did this on our last cruise. We also left an additional tip for the steward.

The desk will give you a slip of paper you can present to the recipient (butler, concierge, steward) as a thank you.

We really liked this option, since it saved us from having to carry a lot of cash for the tips.

Yes, you can have the tips placed on your shipboard account. We did this on our last cruise. We also left an additional tip for the steward.

The desk will give you a slip of paper you can present to the recipient (butler, concierge, steward) as a thank you.

We really liked this option, since it saved us from having to carry a lot of cash for the tips.

Ditto--just did this on the 10/12 sailing of the Gem...

And just in case anyone's wondering, yes, you CAN use any OBC for tips (steward, concierge, butler, bar tabs, anybody). Tips, not the Daily Service Charge (unless the OBC is refundable OBC).

The first time I attempted (several weeks ago on Gem), I was told "no - you can't use OBC for your butler & concierge tips". The 2 young women working both stated "no" and one even called someone to verify. :confused:

I didn't think that was correct so I just thanked them, expressed my disappointment, then waited till the next shift was working! The young man at the front desk first confirmed I had enough OBC left to cover what I wanted to do, then he wrote out the "gratuity vouchers" and gave me a copy. :)

I included the copies in the thank you notes I gave our butler and concierge. ;)

The first time I attempted (several weeks ago on Gem)' date=' I was told "no - you can't use OBC for your butler & concierge tips". The 2 young women working both stated "no" and one even called someone to verify. :confused:

I didn't think that was correct so I just thanked them, expressed my disappointment, then waited till the next shift was working! The young man at the front desk first confirmed I had enough OBC left to cover what I wanted to do, then he wrote out the "gratuity vouchers" and gave me a copy. :)

I included the copies in the thank you notes I gave our butler and concierge. ;)[/quote']

It's too bad that the first two people were misinformed (along with the person that they called). I'm glad you persisted.

Does anyone (crew) know how tax reporting works for the crew? If I hand Benjamin's to the butler, I know he gets use of it - until he has to wire it to his family back home. If you do it through the purser, does the tip get taxed?:confused:

It's too bad that the first two people were misinformed (along with the person that they called). I'm glad you persisted.

Yeah, it's too bad there isn't an online Q&A page for these reps. It's also great though, that having visited these forums people actually recognize a mistake when it happens.

Thanks to all those who make it so.

I believe because it is a foreign ship and not the good ole USA there are no taxes.

Exactly. If you look at NCL's website, there's an extensive section on what to expect as crew (under employment opportunities). It's very interesting read, and states that individual crew members are responsible for taxes to their individual countries.

On a recent BA cruise I attempted to add additional tips for the room stewardess, concierge and butler onto our account. We had significant OBC's and wanted to use it up.

At first I went to the OBC desk and was told I needed the exact spelling of each person's full name, so I went back to our suite to pick up their business cards and returned to the Atrium to start the process. A second person at the OBC desk said I could not use my OBC's for tips, but could add whatever amount onto my account. I told her she was wrong, but she insisted she knew NCL policy. I was getting very upset with her and asked her to check with someone else. She didn't, so I told her she validated my decision to travel on Princess where I could use OBC's for everything, including DSC's. By the time I got back to the Haven, the phone was ringing and it was the first person with whom I spoke at the OBC desk, confirming that I was right. So back to the Atrium. I completed the paper work and requested a photo copy of the transactions to give to each person. I confirmed the posting to my account about 2 hours later by checking on the interactive TV.

Travel friends in the suite next to ours, decided to do the same, but went to the Passenger Service desk. The person working there didn't have a clue how to handle the transaction. Some eight hours later, the transactions were not posted to their account, so we went back and spoke with another person who found the voucher slips among the papers on the desk. The second person confirmed that process was not posted. The entire process had to be re-done.

So, if you want to use OBC's, or add additional tips, be sure to obtain a copy of the transaction for yourself and a copy for the NCL crew member to whom you want to provide a tip. Also, be sure it's posted to your account. It appears that front desk staff need a little more training in handling these requests.

Darcy

On a recent BA cruise I attempted to add additional tips for the room stewardess, concierge and butler onto our account. We had significant OBC's and wanted to use it up.

At first I went to the OBC desk and was told I needed the exact spelling of each person's full name, so I went back to our suite to pick up their business cards and returned to the Atrium to start the process. A second person at the OBC desk said I could not use my OBC's for tips, but could add whatever amount onto my account. I told her she was wrong, but she insisted she knew NCL policy. I was getting very upset with her and asked her to check with someone else. She didn't, so I told her she validated my decision to travel on Princess where I could use OBC's for everything, including DSC's. By the time I got back to the Haven, the phone was ringing and it was the first person with whom I spoke at the OBC desk, confirming that I was right. So back to the Atrium. I completed the paper work and requested a photo copy of the transactions to give to each person. I confirmed the posting to my account about 2 hours later by checking on the interactive TV.

Travel friends in the suite next to ours, decided to do the same, but went to the Passenger Service desk. The person working there didn't have a clue how to handle the transaction. Some eight hours later, the transactions were not posted to their account, so we went back and spoke with another person who found the voucher slips among the papers on the desk. The second person confirmed that process was not posted. The entire process had to be re-done.

So, if you want to use OBC's, or add additional tips, be sure to obtain a copy of the transaction for yourself and a copy for the NCL crew member to whom you want to provide a tip. Also, be sure it's posted to your account. It appears that front desk staff need a little more training in handling these requests.

Darcy

That's a shame. It seems like such a good option I hope they get the kinks out. Thanks for blazing the trail.

• 5 months later...
Just wondering if this is still a valid thing to do. Anyone's experience would be helpful.

Yes it's very doable. I have done it on the Dawn, Star and Breakaway. Luckily, I didn't run into crew that were clueless and it was a quick and easy process. I also enclose the receipt in the Thank You card so they know.

TRY THIS SOLUTION:

We drink any OBC. Any extra tip to staff is paid in cash.

Done.

No dealing with unknowing staff. No checking back. No explaining. No praying. No worry. No sweat. No standing in line. No copies or accounts to check. No concern.