Paradise on the Radiance

Before this cruise, my hands down favorite vacation was our 12 night Western Med cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. This may sound corny, but words truly cannot describe what a fabulous time we had on her sister ship, the Radiance of the Seas! Nevertheless, I will try my best to tell you of our adventure.

This cruise was for our 30th Anniversary and we also stayed three nights post cruise on Waikiki Beach. This trip was 10 years in the making and our 4th attempt to go to Hawaii. The first time was for our 20th Anniversary and we had four teenagers at the time-need I say more?! I don't know why we even considered it! Then we were going to go for our 25th Anniversary, but decided to go to Paris instead. Then, my husband has a customer in Honolulu, so we planned a trip around that, which fell through!

So finally, we booked this trip. Then we changed it to Europe. Then we changed it back to Hawaii, but on NCL. Then we changed it to two weeks on the Oasis. Then we changed it back to this trip again and decided we were too exhausted to change it anymore!:D

It sure is a good thing we finally went. We had the time of our lives and the best vacation we have ever taken!!

So! We arrived in Vancouver the evening before and stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel. This was our second stay here and it is a perfect place as it is literally at the cruise port. Our luggage went directly on the ship courtesy of the Pan Pacific. We were a little nervous about this process, but it worked out great and we would do it again.

We took the hotel elevator right down to the boarding area and this is the only part of the process that could have gone swifter. Perhaps we picked a bad time but it took around 45 minutes to get through customs and board the ship.

The Radiance is a gorgeous ship and I do not say that lightly. We have been on this class of ship as well as the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis classes and the views on this class cannot be beat! We had a nice lunch at the Windjammer and set off to explore what would be our home for the next ten days.

By the time we finished touring, our cabin was ready. We had cabin 9256 which completely lives up to it's hype. The room is just a room, but the balcony is to die for and I have not enjoyed my balcony so much on any previous cruise! There are two loungers and a table with two chairs on it. We enjoyed eating breakfast out here, sunning and just relaxing the entire cruise.

We bought the Chef's Table package and felt that it was well worth the price. The Chef's Table was our hands down favorite meal both for the company and the experience! We met wonderful people and I cannot speak highly enough of Chef Nick!! We saw him around the ship many times during the voyage and he always had time to stop and chat for a few minutes even though he was running around like a madman. I don't know when that guy sleeps!! For those of you considering this wonderful experience, do it!! This was our second Chef's Table meal and both times we have had wonderful experiences and met awesome people!

When we first booked this cruise, we were very worried about all of the sea time. We are active people and we were really nervous about being bored. We needn't have worried as there was a perfect mix of activities and time to relax. We also loved the fact that we turned our clocks back an hour at a time. Being from the east coast, there is a six hour time difference and doing this made it painless. By the time we got to Hawaii, we were perfectly caught up and were able to fully enjoy ourselves.

We booked excursions in all of the ports. In Hilo, we booked the Hilo and Kilauea with lunch trip. We had a wonderful time and the beauty of this place is amazing. This is the one port that, in hindsight, I am so glad we booked a tour in. The other ports were gorgeous and we needn't have booked a darned thing, but Hilo is just a port and there didn't appear to be much around. In Kona, we did the Captain Zodiac snorkel tour and had a blast! Great crew and great snorkeling! In Maui, we went to Ka'anapali Beach and we did the Old Lahaina Luau which was fun and in a gorgeous spot! The second day we took a tour that went to the Iao Valley, a tropical plantation and the Maui Ocean center. Maybe we are easy, but again, we really enjoyed this tour! It was a nice taste of different aspects of the island.

When we go back next year, we don't feel like we need to book quite as many tours, but having never been to Hawaii, it was a perfect combination to get a little taste of the islands.

We didn't get to all of the shows, but we really enjoyed the ones we did see. The talented cast is amazing! They can sing, dance and act! We saw the Piano Man, Tango Buenos Aires and a 50's style show. We also saw Norm Crosby, who is still hilarious!! I got a picture with him that I will treasure always! We also went to the Quest for the first time ever! It was hysterical and I can't believe we never tried it before this cruise! We adored Bobby, the cruise director!!

We enjoyed the crew immensely on this ship right up to the Captain, who was visible and friendly! He had his little 18 month old son on board and we met him too! Our stateroom attendant, Paulo, couldn't do enough for us and we did not encounter one rude staff member the entire cruise.

We had a drink in every bar and we just loved the Champagne Bar! We also bought the 5 bottle wine package, which worked out perfectly with our dinners.

We got off in Honolulu and spent three nights at the Halekulani. This place was understated elegance to the max! I felt like princess the whole time I was there. They also had the best Mai tai's I have ever tasted!

The 10 days went so quickly that we couldn't believe it! If anyone is considering this cruise, I can highly recommend it. We loved it so much that we booked the same cruise for next year! This was the most relaxing vacation that we have ever had and the first one in 30 years that after two weeks, my husband actually didn't want to come home from!

Here are a few pictures from the trip. I don't know how to make them big!:o

Tara

IMG_1629.jpg.fc7ab4f0aa5f2862dfed211952e46cac.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg.d73d76d69670dbd7d74d86bea8dcd84e.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg.fcf4e0016950d14a22054284504015fe.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg.f49dc6aab8dacb673c5871a881bfb283.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg.017272fa7a3ba2a80298efc23fd10bc1.jpg

Sure missed you on the oasis. But soo glad to hear you had a great time on your cruise!

Oh my gosh!!:D You guys are popping up everywhere!! Did you all have fun?! Even though we had the time of our lives, I was wishing the whole time that it was with all of you!! I have never been so attached to a roll call and I hope I can meet you guys someday.

Tara

P.S. We are really, really gong on the Allure in January!!:D

Here's another Allure cruiser who missed you. Glad you had such a wonderful cruise. I love the Radiance.

How many times did you change your mind about things??? I remember from the roll call you were always changing your mind about something.

Tara

We were on the Radiance with you and I concur. It was absolutely amazing. We decided to do it a bit different next time. We are waiting (impatiently) until 2015 and doing the reverse trip from Hawaii to Vancouver.

Bobby sure was a hoot. Not sure if all the cruise directors are as good but I can only hope. We agree with you on the ports. Hilo you really need to have an excursion and the others you wouldn't need to. But we loved all of ours as well.

Have fun on your cruise next year.

Connie

Thank you for the review. Easy to read. Happy Anniversary!!

Thanks!! I'm not much of a writer, but we had such a good time, I wanted to share the highlights!:D

Here's another Allure cruiser who missed you. Glad you had such a wonderful cruise. I love the Radiance.

How many times did you change your mind about things??? I remember from the roll call you were always changing your mind about something.

Judi, you would be proud of me! We stuck with pretty much everything we planned!:D I am dying to her about YOUR cruise!!:p

Tara

Tara

We were on the Radiance with you and I concur. It was absolutely amazing. We decided to do it a bit different next time. We are waiting (impatiently) until 2015 and doing the reverse trip from Hawaii to Vancouver.

Bobby sure was a hoot. Not sure if all the cruise directors are as good but I can only hope. We agree with you on the ports. Hilo you really need to have an excursion and the others you wouldn't need to. But we loved all of ours as well.

Have fun on your cruise next year.

Connie

How fun to do it the other way! I wish we were able to stay on to Australia. It seemed like lots of people did. Sorry we didn't get the chance to meet you guys!

Tara

We had a great time!! Rita's Fiesta was fun. The slot pull also fun but no winners. The Meet n Mingle was really well attended.

I thought it was great that Gary (cruisewizard) mentioned that I had started the whole roll call.

Right after that was the drawing for prizes and I won the big one. A really nice tote bag filed with all of the 'cruise crap' that they give away. It did have 2 umbrellas, two insulated mugs, two hats pens, wallets, highlighters, key chains(of course) and tow pouch like thingies that could hold a comera, seapass, etc and can be worn with a belt. Really a nice prize.

The food was delicious, the shows took you breath away and the ship is a marvel. Want to do it again some day.

Looking forward to meeting you on next year's sailing. I had been debating switching to the Rhapsody so I could an Alaskan B2B, but will stick with our plans based on your rave review.

Do join the roll call. It has been slow going but am sure it will pick up slowly. Your experience will be invaluable.

Looking forward to meeting you on next year's sailing. I had been debating switching to the Rhapsody so I could an Alaskan B2B, but will stick with our plans based on your rave review.

Do join the roll call. It has been slow going but am sure it will pick up slowly. Your experience will be invaluable.

Alaska was wonderful too! We did that on the Serenade. We actually almost did the Rhapsody instead of this cruise because the itinerary was longer, but it worked out great with staying the extra nights in Honolulu. We are a bit skittish about doing anything smaller than this class of ship.

I am looking forward to meeting you too! I am already on that roll call.:D. I love to blab!

Tara

We had a great time!! Rita's Fiesta was fun. The slot pull also fun but no winners. The Meet n Mingle was really well attended.

I thought it was great that Gary (cruisewizard) mentioned that I had started the whole roll call.

Right after that was the drawing for prizes and I won the big one. A really nice tote bag filed with all of the 'cruise crap' that they give away. It did have 2 umbrellas, two insulated mugs, two hats pens, wallets, highlighters, key chains(of course) and tow pouch like thingies that could hold a comera, seapass, etc and can be worn with a belt. Really a nice prize.

The food was delicious, the shows took you breath away and the ship is a marvel. Want to do it again some day.

Wow! Judi, that's awesome and who cares if it's crap it's still cool to win stuff! :cool: I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time!

Great review Tara, looking forward to finally meeting you in September. Did you manage to get 9256 again, if so we will be right above you as Karen gave up 1100. :D

Bill

That was taken, but we did get 1602!! We'll be neighbors.:D Infact, I think a lot of our roll call is taking up the back of deck 10!!

Tara

That was taken, but we did get 1602!! We'll be neighbors.:D Infact, I think a lot of our roll call is taking up the back of deck 10!!

Tara

That is because the back end of Radiance is the prime spot for that cruise. :D Even the first day out of Vancouver is pleasant enough to spend a considerable amount of time on those balconies since there is so little wind back there.

We loved 1602, great cabin and spacious balcony. :)

Bill

That is because the back end of Radiance is the prime spot for that cruise. :D Even the first day out of Vancouver is pleasant enough to spend a considerable amount of time on those balconies since there is so little wind back there.

We loved 1602, great cabin and spacious balcony. :)

Bill

That is awesome to hear!! I agree, the aft is the place to be for Hawaii or Alaska!!:cool: This will be our first time in a JS, so we are very excited! We will also make Diamond while on this cruise!!

Tara

Tarajean: we left "our" cabin the same morning you got on....we tried to leave it in good shape for you.

We are booking it again for 2016 the day it opens for booking! Loved it! And we are going to do your same cruise because we now have relatives in Honolulu we'll be visiting.

I agree with you on Radiance...lovely....:D

Tarajean: we left "our" cabin the same morning you got on....we tried to leave it in good shape for you.

We are booking it again for 2016 the day it opens for booking! Loved it! And we are going to do your same cruise because we now have relatives in Honolulu we'll be visiting.

I agree with you on Radiance...lovely....:D

:D You left it in great shape! I took a picture of it at the dock, when the ship arrived, but you weren't on "our" balcony at the time!:p I wish we were getting it back next year, but at least we are still in the aft. I see that you are also going on the Allure next! She is awesome in a different way and I can't wait to sail her again in January!!!

We have an aft on her too...as aft as you can get in a B1 cat cabin. Right on the end overlooking Aqua theater 11729.

I am so ready to get on her! Love your short but concise review!

Just so you know we kept her shipshape:

119uxxy.jpg

You guys are adorable!! The only thing better would have been if you were in this picture:attachment.php?attachmentid=290677&d=1382571039

That's the picture we took from the Pan Pacific on the morning of 9/13! That would've been really cool!

Tara

IMG_1640.jpg.b7971aa99dc1dbfc97d47748cae224df.jpg

Archived