Anyone read this article?

Calker

Well, let me start by saying that I'm not a Carnival cheerleader, so I'll try to be as objective as I possibly can. First, I've read articles from Cruise Law News and its clear that their writing skills are always biased against Carnival. They can take any piece of cruise news and turn Carnival into the evil wrongdoer. This article is no exception. Carnival is responding to a new law and mandate which seems like one that will be affecting all seagoing employees of all cruise companies.

It would be more objective to write an article that compares employee retirement benefits under Carnival's terminated retirement plan vs the new mandated Social Security contributions. How many people benefited before? How many will benefit now? How does compensation compare between one and the other? What do other cruise lines currently have? How will they respond to this mandate? How does Carnival's plan compare to theirs (if any)? Etc.

I'll be the first one to point out when I think that Carnival is doing something wrong, but what I see here is just another one sided and biased article aimed at dragging Carnival further into the ground.

Seems that messing with someones retirement is a craptastic way to save money going forward. This seems that it would be a bad PR and not the type of PR one could construe or spin in a positive way (any PR is good PR doesn't seem to appy here to me). Additionally, although there would still be a large employment pool to draw from, potentially losing good, experienced employees seems to be a bad decision.

What is still not known is if any concessions are made for employees that have achieved a certain level of retirement benefit AND if they don't belong to one of the 50 countries that make up the agreement how their benefits are handled. By the brief response given, if it is a full response, one doesn't hold out much hope.

I do think that a corporation must do what is necessary to maintain profitability. Heck, just wait to see what happens to 10's of thousands of Detroit retirees if the city is allowed to declare bankruptcy. This whole situation makes me think of this scene from

The article keeps referring to the benefit as being terminated. However, according to the same article, the memo released by Carnival states that the benefit has been suspended. Seems like a contradiction in the article to me and I believe the words we choose to use demonstrates our inherent bias.

I don't think we're getting the full picture from this article since this guy is trying to drum up business to sue.

Sadly, companies do this stuff all the time and it rarely makes news. Benefits are a big cost drain for companies so they tend to cut them when the going gets tough. I worked for one of the biggest banks in the country for quite a while and had our pension plan entirely cancelled and yanked out from under us so it's not just Carnival.

I don't think we're getting the full picture from this article since this guy is trying to drum up business to sue.

Sadly, companies do this stuff all the time and it rarely makes news. Benefits are a big cost drain for companies so they tend to cut them when the going gets tough. I worked for one of the biggest banks in the country for quite a while and had our pension plan entirely cancelled and yanked out from under us so it's not just Carnival.

I agree 100%. It's happening all over the country. Hours are being cut, benefits cut, wages cut, etc.

Another article by this "lawyer" who hates the cruise industry and as usual, he doesn't furnish the "rest of the story"! This was not a Carnival change, it is a changed discussed and approved by the Maritime Labour Convention and International Labour Organization, which is made up of many countries. Here is the document written and approved by the organizations:

http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_norm/---normes/documents/publication/wcms_170388.pdf

There seems to be so much interest in employees in the cruise industry, I wonder if there is a market where they can all post their individual bio's, their medical chart, their family tree, and their bank balances.

I wonder what other industry shows so much interest in a company's employees. Ever wonder what the retirement plan of the check out girl at the market?

There seems to be so much interest in employees in the cruise industry, I wonder if there is a market where they can all post their individual bio's, their medical chart, their family tree, and their bank balances.

I wonder what other industry shows so much interest in a company's employees. Ever wonder what the retirement plan of the check out girl at the market?

Not here, but over at Grocery Critic it's all they talk about.;)

The day that Indonesia signs the MLC 2006 is the day Carnival stops recruiting Indonesians and hires crew from the poorest nations in Africa. Malawi and Somalia , where the GDP per capita stands at about $860, will be attractive targets for Carnival to cull for cheap labor. Last time I checked Somalia doesn't provide Social Security.

Just FYI -- the attorney that does this site is very biased against the cruise industry as a whole (and Carnival specifially) so I always take anything from him with a grain of salt.

Instead of being an ambulance chaser, he is a cruise ship chaser! :rolleyes:

Archived