Land Discoveries email from Azamara

riandei

I have booked a cruise in 2014 too....and still haven't had the email update either.

However, given the absolutely disastrous communications that I have had with Azamara UK this week about using an Open Passage Certificate for our next cruise then I am not surprised at all. I really don't think that a call centre based in Guatemala is such a bad idea now.....they cannot possibly be worse. This is probably due to the loss of staff who are experienced in dealing with Azamara issues but I have to say that Azamara shoreside is now truly dire. They do not know the terms and conditions of usage of their own products. Also, if a Manager promises to phone you back in an hour.....then they really should do it! I'm still waiting five days later. :mad:

Thank goodness the onboard experience is so magnificent.....because otherwise I would be jumping ship to Oceania, Seabourn or Regent right now. I am already a Silversea fan and Azamara could learn a lot from their shoreside Admin dept.

I have booked a cruise in 2014 too....and still haven't had the email update either.

However, given the absolutely disastrous communications that I have had with Azamara UK this week about using an Open Passage Certificate for our next cruise then I am not surprised at all. I really don't think that a call centre based in Guatemala is such a bad idea now.....they cannot possibly be worse. This is probably due to the loss of staff who are experienced in dealing with Azamara issues but I have to say that Azamara shoreside is now truly dire. They do not know the terms and conditions of usage of their own products. Also, if a Manager promises to phone you back in an hour.....then they really should do it! I'm still waiting five days later. :mad:

Thank goodness the onboard experience is so magnificent.....because otherwise I would be jumping ship to Oceania, Seabourn or Regent right now. I am already a Silversea fan and Azamara could learn a lot from their shoreside Admin dept.

As the person who is travelling with Lottie A in June 2014 I can only echo how dreadful our dealings with Azamara UK shoreside has been this last week. It is beyond disappointing and totally unacceptable.

It is my hope that the soon to be appointed new MD of Azamara here in the UK will come from one of the cruise companies offering the far superior customer service that Azamara consumers deserve.

Like the majority of us on these boards I cannot praise the on board experience highly enough but even I am now actively considering other companies for future cruises

Thinking similarly. Love Azamara but looking at other lines.

checked out Seabourn but not impressed with their smoking policy

Interested in MSC yacht club but not if need to mingle with many young people i.e. younger than teens

Azamara keeps changing itself. Each time I have cruised more things were included...and the prices increased too. The bottom line is there is nothing that is free. You pay for what you get. Once in awhile you do get a bargain. When cabins do not sell, prices will drop. Usually there is a good reason behind any change. Perhaps, Azamara is trying to compete with Viking Ocean Cruises or Regent. Viking Ocean does not sail until 2015. If Azamara starts including excursions, they may attract would be Viking Ocean cruisers.

Due to the price rises on Azamara we booked a Regent cruise this July. Although there was no direct comparison there was a somewhat similar itinerary. Comparing the "per day" cost the Regent price for their lowest category cabin (on Voyager) was only slightly more expensive than a balcony cabin on Quest. When you bear in mind that the Voyager cabin is much larger than the Quest cabin - and has a large bathroom with bath as well as shower and a large walk-in wardrobe, speciality restaurants are at no extra charge and there is a range of included excursions in every port, the Regent cruise worked out as much better value.

The cruise experience on both lines is very similar, although I do prefer the intimacy and friendliness on Azamara. That is not to say that these are lacking on Regent but Azamara has the edge.

All things being equal, I would choose to sail on Azamara Quest over any other line or ship. But, as prices creep up and changes ( few for the better) are made I am now looking very closely at alternatives. From being our destination cruise line I am sad to say that Azamara is now only one to be considered. If Mr Pimental and co. think they are going in the right direction, by aiming to be "Regent light" rather than "Azamara distinctive, I am afraid it is the opposite direction from me.

I agree with MrMojoRisin's last statement, but the Regent experience is nothing like Azamara's. Firstly, booking one of the "low-end" Regent staterooms is not easy, as they fill quickly. And prices go up quickly as you move to a higher deck and category. Secondly, the atmosphere on the ship, at least on Mariner when we sailed her, was dull, dull, dull.

Senior officers were invisible, and trying to see one when attempting to resolve an issue was like asking to have an audience with the Pope. Specialty restaurants were free but hard to get into--because they are free. Passengers stayed up until 1am on a specific date before embarkation in order to be sure to get a table on their chosen day. Same with shore excursions as most are also free and book up early.

And Regent's home office rivals Azamara's in its customer relations. We booked a 15-day trans-Atlantic and at final payment were offered to stay on for the following 10-day cruise at a very attractive price. We agreed to do so but were then told the price was a "mistake" and we'd have to pay more. It took a letter to the president to get that resolved.

Yes, I don't think Azamara will entice many Regent regulars, but Azamara fans should be aware the Regent on-board experience is quite different, even if one can make the "value" equation come out right.

I would just say that our experience was a little different to Marinaro44's.

We sailed on Regent Voyager 3 years ago and did find that the staff were very unengaging - polite and proper, but distant. This year, we found a huge difference as they were just as friendly and engaging as Azamara staff. Where I would concur is concerning the officers. On Regent they remain aloof (when we sat at a table next to the captain for lunch, we simply got a curt nod) and are nowhere near as friendly, visible and approachable as on Azamara.

We also didn't find Voyager dull as, just on Azamara, we met many interesting people.

But, of course, everyone's experience is different.

As the person who is travelling with Lottie A in June 2014 I can only echo how dreadful our dealings with Azamara UK shoreside has been this last week. It is beyond disappointing and totally unacceptable.

It is my hope that the soon to be appointed new MD of Azamara here in the UK will come from one of the cruise companies offering the far superior customer service that Azamara consumers deserve.

Like the majority of us on these boards I cannot praise the on board experience highly enough but even I am now actively considering other companies for future cruises

Hazel (and Lottie)

I could not agree more. The service from Azamara Uk has gone down hill significantly in the last few months and customers, especially repeat guests are being treated quite shabbily in my view. We do not even have a named loyalty consultant - or indeed anyone who seems remotely interested in loyalty.

We visited a Cruise Fair and whilst the PCS as ever gave great service, the behaviour by a manager was unacceptable in our view, we have made these views known to Azamara Uk in writing two weeks ago but our communication remains unanswered. I hope you are not waiting for a call from the manager we encountered as her concept of customer service is light years away from the onboard experience.

Funnily enough our experience at the fair was of first class service from other smaller cruiselines and river cruise companie and in the case of one river cruise company the follow up has been personal and exemplary - with Azamara, it felt like you were at the meat counter of a low quality supermarket - and that was even before we encountered the abrupt behaviour of the manager!

Good luck in getting your issue resolved - indeed good luck in getting a call back and having the opportunity to feedback to a manager!

We have never been fans of paying for cruise ship shore excursions since we got really hammered on our first cruise 10 years ago. Incredibly overpriced we thought and have tended to do our own thing ever since at considerable saving BUT then we were recommended to a USA travel agent who has consistently given us on average $1000 On Board Credits and as Azamara is "All Inclusive" we now use them to pay for our shore excursions at the full price and book them as soon as we get on board. This year on Azamara our total bill came to $38.50!If anyone is interested in contacting me for info.on our US travel agent etc please email me at scotpom@farmside.co.nz

Have you tried emailing azamaraservice.uk@rccl.com as I have always found that this gets you through to their dedicated team of Azamara staff and they know what they are talking about.

We have never been fans of paying for cruise ship shore excursions since we got really hammered on our first cruise 10 years ago. Incredibly overpriced we thought and have tended to do our own thing ever since at considerable saving BUT then we were recommended to a USA travel agent who has consistently given us on average $1000 On Board Credits and as Azamara is "All Inclusive" we now use them to pay for our shore excursions at the full price and book them as soon as we get on board. This year on Azamara our total bill came to $38.50!If anyone is interested in contacting me for info.on our US travel agent etc please email me at scotpom@farmside.co.nz

My email was returned as being "spam"! could you please email me at the link below. Thanks

Hi Hazel and Lottie,

We are on board Quest and purchased Future cruise certificates. The sales lady was very nice. I hope your post does not mean we will have a problem redeeming them. Cruise is going well!

Pam

Hi Hazel and Lottie,

We are on board Quest and purchased Future cruise certificates. The sales lady was very nice. I hope your post does not mean we will have a problem redeeming them. Cruise is going well!

Pam

Hi Pam,

Please say hello to Nathalia (and Sarah-Lou, Max and Tony) from us and I'm glad your cruise is going well. I only hope the weather in the Med is considerably better than what we have been experiencing over the last 24 hours. And I hope your cabin is full of bargains purchased in the St Tropez Big Sale.

On our return from Quest we booked our next cruise for June 2014 via a TA using our certificates. It has been interesting to say the least how little knowledge shoreside staff have regarding terms and conditions. Situation not yet quite resolved but it will be!!!!!!!

Please give our best to Alan and Diane (Britcruiser) if your paths cross.

Hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful

Hazel

Hi Pam,

Please say hello to Nathalia (and Sarah-Lou, Max and Tony) from us and I'm glad your cruise is going well. I only hope the weather in the Med is considerably better than what we have been experiencing over the last 24 hours. And I hope your cabin is full of bargains purchased in the St Tropez Big Sale.

On our return from Quest we booked our next cruise for June 2014 via a TA using our certificates. It has been interesting to say the least how little knowledge shoreside staff have regarding terms and conditions. Situation not yet quite resolved but it will be!!!!!!!

Please give our best to Alan and Diane (Britcruiser) if your paths cross.

Hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful

Hazel

I guess that depends on whether you have been misled/misunderstood the terms of Open Passage bookings. Which are written on the docs you get as I have seen them myself when booking one.

I guess that depends on whether you have been misled/misunderstood the terms of Open Passage bookings. Which are written on the docs you get as I have seen them myself when booking one.

Like you mzk90, we have used Open Passage certificates before and know exactly the benefits that they offer.

It is a pity that .Azamara staff shoreside do not have similar knowledge and in many cases contradict each other. After all, we are not asking them to split the atom!

Like you mzk90, we have used Open Passage certificates before and know exactly the benefits that they offer.

It is a pity that .Azamara staff shoreside do not have similar knowledge and in many cases contradict each other. After all, we are not asking them to split the atom!

I understand and yes they are a long way from perfect some would say a long way from even being acceptable! That's why I always suggest using the email address I gave earlier, as I know it goes to staff who sail on Azamara, so they understand the ships, the service and most importantly why we all love her as a brand.

It is a real shame that the majority of their staff don't have that level of feeling, but I guess Azamara is a very small part of their daily work.

MZK90 - The problem is that many of the knowledgeable and caring staff have already left what appears to be the sinking ship of Azamara UK.....all queries are put through to RCCL UK anyway and who you get at the end of the phone is pot luck. Most of them are not at all familiar with the Azamara product. I spoke to a total of four employees, as did my T/A.....and not one of them understood the T&C'S of Open Passages.....even when I clearly pointed them to the advice section on Azamara's website! I have used these before....the last time in May to book our October cruise and I understand the T&C'S perfectly well.

I asked to speak to a Supervisor, who assured me that she understood Open Passage Certificates as she had done a presentation on them at The Cruise Show this year. She told me that I was absolutely correct in my understanding of the rules of use. She said she would consult with her Manager to get the issue sorted out. After ten minutes of me waiting on the phone she returned and said her Manager had told her I was wrong, although previously the Supervisor had said I was right. So I asked her to request the Manager to call me back to clarify the situation and was told that he would be in a meeting all morning but that he would call me back that afternoon. I waited in all afternoon and that was a week ago. I'm still waiting for that call back. :mad::(

My T/A then attempted yet again to speak to someone who understood the concept of Open Passage Certificates and it seems that no-one does and no-one calls you back. Then I could not get on the website to check whether our $200 discount had been applied....so at the moment Hazel and I have an invoice that has not applied our discount and with other issues too.

I am very angry, fed up and feeling let down by Azamara UK. This is no way to treat loyal customers! I don't think a call centre in Guatemala can do any worse. :rolleyes:

Getting back to the lack of an email advising UK customers of the changes to the 25% discount on tours, there is an interesting aspect to this.

One of the reasons we in the UK do not get the same flexibility as those in the USA with our cruise purchases is the legislation we have in place mainly "The Package Travel, Package Holidays & Package Tours Regulations 1992" this legislation covers all holidays where accommodation and travel are included together - so all cruises comply whether air travel is booked via the cruise company or not.

In this legislation the "offer to purchase" includes all information given in the brochure or web site at the time the holiday is purchased and that becomes part of the sales contract. So if 25% discount on tours is in print at the time you book then it is part of your contract with the cruise company, they may make changes but only if their terms and conditions state this is possible but they have to give notice of any changes in writing. If it was a major change, which this isn't, then you have the right to cancel.

I haven't looked at the T&C's but a right of variation is a standard term so I am sure it will be there but Azamara HAVE to advise of this change in writing to comply with UK legislation.

Getting back to the lack of an email advising UK customers of the changes to the 25% discount on tours, there is an interesting aspect to this.

One of the reasons we in the UK do not get the same flexibility as those in the USA with our cruise purchases is the legislation we have in place mainly "The Package Travel, Package Holidays & Package Tours Regulations 1992" this legislation covers all holidays where accommodation and travel are included together - so all cruises comply whether air travel is booked via the cruise company or not.

In this legislation the "offer to purchase" includes all information given in the brochure or web site at the time the holiday is purchased and that becomes part of the sales contract. So if 25% discount on tours is in print at the time you book then it is part of your contract with the cruise company, they may make changes but only if their terms and conditions state this is possible but they have to give notice of any changes in writing. If it was a major change, which this isn't, then you have the right to cancel.

I haven't looked at the T&C's but a right of variation is a standard term so I am sure it will be there but Azamara HAVE to advise of this change in writing to comply with UK legislation.

Don't hold your breath, when the dropped from the 50% discount to the 25% discount they did not advise us or make any adjustments. At least this time we are getting a window of opportunity to preserve the pricing and book excursions (though its confusing for how long the window is open for). I have asked the question though for those of us with 2015 bookings

Edited by uktog

Maybe they aren't so keen on sending emails with updates and offers to UK guests! Yet another difference between us and our fellow guests from the US.

I am an American, have three consecutive cruises booked with Azamara starting on 3 February, and haven't received the related e-mail either...

The lapse in--and based upon my reading here, the apparent ambiguity surrounding--this communication is seemingly universal...

I am an American, have three consecutive cruises booked with Azamara starting on 3 February, and haven't received the related e-mail either...

The lapse in--and based upon my reading here, the apparent ambiguity surrounding--this communication is seemingly universal...

I think that RCCL has probably hired the Obamacare web gurus to "fix" the emails, booking engine, Az Evening scheduling, etc. LOL!!