Which ship would you recommend for first time to Alaska?

CMar00

Hi!

Which one of these ships would you recommend for a cruise to Alaska?

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zuiderdam

Statendam

Zaandam

A nice indoor pool is a must.

I also prefer the quieter restaurants as I have anxiety and cannot tolerate noise very well. Fancy restaurants aren't important though. I know you cannot predict noise level, but any info is helpful.

Also, is there a place where I can compare the ships?

Thank you!

Hi!

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zuiderdam

Statendam

Zaandam

I also prefer the quieter restaurants as I have anxiety and cannot tolerate noise very well. Fancy restaurants aren't important though. I know you cannot predict noise level, but any info is helpful.

Thank you!

I think it would be easiest to compare them if you got a HAL brochure. Those you mentioned all have sliding domes. Amsterdam is my favorite and has a 14 day itinerary that is very unusual. I would choose it for that reason alone. It is a smaller ship, so it seems less noisy, IMHO. She is also rated above the others on Conde Nast.

First and foremost, I would choose the itinerary I wanted, and then choose the ship---if more than one ship were doing that itinerary.

I would eliminate the Zuiderdam, as you said you wanted a quieter dining room; the Zuiderdam tends to be more noisy than the other ships.

The Volendam does the same itinerary as the Zuiderdam, and goes on Wednesday, so there are fewer people sharing the ports. That's another plus.

Another thing to think about is departure port. It can be easier, and less expensive, to get to Seattle than to Vancouver.

The Statendam does one-way cruises, starting or ending in Seward, so the travel needs to be considered.

The suggestion to take a good look at the Amsterdam's 14-day itinerary is a good one, and I concur.

First and foremost, I would choose the itinerary I wanted, and then choose the ship---if more than one ship were doing that itinerary.

I would eliminate the Zuiderdam, as you said you wanted a quieter dining room; the Zuiderdam tends to be more noisy than the other ships.

The Volendam does the same itinerary as the Zuiderdam, and goes on Wednesday, so there are fewer people sharing the ports. That's another plus.

Another thing to think about is departure port. It can be easier, and less expensive, to get to Seattle than to Vancouver.

The Statendam does one-way cruises, starting or ending in Seward, so the travel needs to be considered.

The suggestion to take a good look at the Amsterdam's 14-day itinerary is a good one, and I concur.

I agree. Amsterdam 14 day. I did a 14 day on Princess about five years ago. It was the best we saw a lot.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I was thinking of doing the inside 7 day cruise out of Vancouver. I'm not sure I could be away from home for 14 days...9 maybe, but 2 weeks? I might go nuts. :eek:

What's the best month to go if you want as few kids on board as possible?

I was thinking of doing the inside 7 day cruise out of Vancouver.

Then definitely take a good look at the Volendam.

You'll find the fewest kids on board while school is in session, but those weeks aren't going to be the best weather-wise.

The fewest kids period would end by about the 3rd week of May, and start again the first of September.

HAL doesn't typically have hoards of kids on board in any month, though. Certainly, HAL is not like some other lines when it comes to attracting mobs of the little darlin's.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I was thinking of doing the inside 7 day cruise out of Vancouver. I'm not sure I could be away from home for 14 days...9 maybe, but 2 weeks? I might go nuts. :eek:

Absolutely, the Volendam. A lovely ship - my all-time favourite - perfect size, great departure day (mid-week, so ports less busy).

Itinerary is important to us.

My first choice would be to select a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay.

You mentioned inside passage -- 7 days going out of Vancouver.

You have now limited yourself to a couple of ships -- Zuiderdam and Volendam.

The Oosterdam and Statendam do sail out of Vancouver but they are not round trip cruises. They alternate between Northbound and southbound 7 day cruises.

I would put Zuiderdam at the bottom of my choice list because I believe the smaller ships give you a better experience in AK. Our first HAL cruise was the Amsterdam in AK, and that hooked us HAL! Later we did a Cruise/Tour on the Statendam and that was great also, except for the weather the 3rd week of Sep. I wouldn't go again any later than the first week of Sep.

I would put Zuiderdam at the bottom of my choice list because I believe the smaller ships give you a better experience in AK. Our first HAL cruise was the Amsterdam in AK, and that hooked us HAL! Later we did a Cruise/Tour on the Statendam and that was great also, except for the weather the 3rd week of Sep. I wouldn't go again any later than the first week of Sep.

I agree about Zuiderdam. My friend took this cruise and was not impressed with the food at all. I felt bad for recommending HAL to her afterwards.

I have now learned from this thread that people like Volendam---good to know.

Hi!

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zuiderdam

Statendam

Zaandam

Thank you!

The Amsterdam is our second favorite ship in the HAL fleet..(First one is Prinsendam) The 14 day itinerary is a nice one, but when we did Alaska, we took a 7 day land tour first & then one of the small ships for 7 days..We really enjoyed doing the land tour first as it was very early to rise & we saw so much of Alaska..Then we were able to relax more & take the 7 day Southbound on the Veendam which is one of HAL's smaller ships...The Volendam, Statendam & Amsterdam are the smaller ships with less Psgrs..We actually enjoy the smaller ships..

As far a noise, my DH can't tolerate noise either.. When we are with friends we have breakfast & dinner in the Main Dining Room & lunch in the Lido Buffet around 1:p.m. as there seem to be less people there..I have never noticed any of the Restaurants to be noisy..However if you are sitting next to a table of eight, & they are laughing & recounting their days, it might be noisier for you..

Therefore, if you don't enjoy sitting at the larger tables of eight, suggest you ask for a table for two or four in a quiet area of the ship..There are less families with children at the late seating..

We always try to eat at least once or twice in the Pinnacle..It is lovely, quiet & the service & food is wonderful.. It's one of the extra charge restaurants..

Hope this helps..

Cheers..Betty

Hi!

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zuiderdam

Statendam

Zaandam

Thank you!

Forgot to mention the pools are not indoors, but during inclement or cold weather they have a dome which is closed..There will be less children on board in May & also the end of Aug. & Sept.

Re places to compare ships..check out this thread above for classes of ships & Joanies thread above which shows pics of ships cabins..

[/url]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=350993 &

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1054590

Betty

We sailed Oosterdam rt out of Seattle the end of July two years ago. I honestly don't remember many kids on board. After doing a Norwegian cruise with 1000 kids under 18 on board, HAL is heaven. The whole cruise was wonderful but Glacier Bay was the highlight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hi!

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zuiderdam

Statendam

Zaandam

Thank you!

We were on the Zaandam this past summer, a collectors cruise,

We went on a 14 day RT Seattle in 2012 on the Amsterdam, personally

If I were to book again this year, which I probably won't because we are going to the Caribbean, I would choose May 18th on the Amsterdam, they

already have a VERY active roll call going, and sounds like a very fun cruise, although it is 14 days. that is the BEST!!:)

I think it wold depend on whether you want to sail from Seattle or Vancouver.

Once you choose the embark/disembark port it would be easier to choose the ship. A balcony would be much cheaper on the larger ships.

It was our Alaska Cruise that sold DH on balcony cabins.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Archived