2014 Discontinuation of 25% Savings on Land Discoveries and Enhanced Tour Program

Bill Leiber

It is only because I read this forum that I am aware of the cut-off date for getting 25% off shore excursions. The brochure we booked from (and made a "contract" with?) and the current online 2014 brochure on the UK website show no such cut-off date. When and how should I be informed of this change? Some people have mentioned an email, but I have had nothing.

Edited by Wacktle

It is only because I read this forum that I am aware of the cut-off date for getting 25% off shore excursions. The brochure we booked from (and made a "contract" with?) and the current online 2014 brochure on the UK website show no such cut-off date. When and how should I be informed of this change? Some people have mentioned an email, but I have had nothing.

Me too! We're in Canada, and also have received no notification. I found out about it from this forum.

that you pay for the excursions at the time of the pre-booking? And do the prices on the current website reflect the 25% off already? Or would I take the 25% off that price? If the tour is a no go then does the pre payment go back as a credit to my credit card or as a SBC. We haven't been on AZ for several years so not sure of current procedures. Thanks! LuAnn

that you pay for the excursions at the time of the pre-booking? And do the prices on the current website reflect the 25% off already? Or would I take the 25% off that price? If the tour is a no go then does the pre payment go back as a credit to my credit card or as a SBC. We haven't been on AZ for several years so not sure of current procedures. Thanks! LuAnn

You pay for the excursions at the time of booking. If you click on the tour for more details, you'll see the discounted rate showing at the bottom along with the times of the tour.

However, if you download your shore excursions brochure, the rates noted appear to have the 25% discount already applied.

I believe that if you cancel a booked excursion before the cruise begins, within a certain timeframe, you will receive a refund to your credit card. If you cancel once onboard, you will receive an onboard credit.

The lack of communication to every person who has booked a 2014 cruise is a legitimate criticism.

You should try getting any information from Azamara Sydney Office. I am ever grateful for the information Bill provides here on CC, without him Australian Azamara cruisers would be left in the dark. I rang Sydney office this morning to find out when we would receive "official" word of the cost change & cut-off date for the 25% discount on tours & was informed by "Danny" that they knew nothing about it!??. We're booked on the Journey from Mumbai on 15 April 2014 & still cannot find any details of our 'Azamazing Evening". Someone posted on the roll-call that it was scheduled for the 27 April in Safaga which is the same day a 14hr tour to Luxur is offered? In regard to these two issues; How long can we expect to be kept in the dark?

You pay for the excursions at the time of booking. If you click on the tour for more details, you'll see the discounted rate showing at the bottom along with the times of the tour.

However, if you download your shore excursions brochure, the rates noted appear to have the 25% discount already applied.

I believe that if you cancel a booked excursion before the cruise begins, within a certain timeframe, you will receive a refund to your credit card. If you cancel once onboard, you will receive an onboard credit.

That is correct. We've been on one Azamara cruise and had one of our shore excursions canceled due to lack of participation. Our money was refunded. It was disappointing because it was one excursion we were really looking forward to.

I booked my first cruise with Azamara a few weeks ago and received all the guff regarding discount on tours. Now that this has been withdrawn why did Azamara not inform me? Also, how small will smaller group tours be, and will the numbers be included in the tour description?

I booked my first cruise with Azamara a few weeks ago and received all the guff regarding discount on tours. Now that this has been withdrawn why did Azamara not inform me? Also, how small will smaller group tours be, and will the numbers be included in the tour description?

Did you receive that from Azamara directly or by an outside agent?

If this were another industry or product, wouldn't we refer the false promises to Trading Standards (in the UK)?

A few weeks ago, another cruise line suddenly demanded a very large sum of money from us for pre-booked flights, 11 months before the cruise. Our documentation clearly stated that no further payment was due until next summer. The TA and cruiseline reviewed their paperwork and replayed the recorded telephone conversations. The cruise line reluctantly agreed that our "contract" required no payment between the deposit and the final payment and they are having to foot the interim bill themselves.

We pay a deposit for a cruise and agree to pay our money at the scheduled time in return for a product as defined in the Ts and Cs when we book. How would Azamara feel if we decide after booking that only 95% of the balance payable was appropriate, or that the payment date wasn't good for us? Contracts work both ways, don't they? Either legally, or morally?

I just look forward to the actual cruise and hope the onboard experience is as good as last time. However, I'll be wary of booking a further Azamara cruise.

If this were another industry or product, wouldn't we refer the false promises to Trading Standards (in the UK)?

A few weeks ago, another cruise line suddenly demanded a very large sum of money from us for pre-booked flights, 11 months before the cruise. Our documentation clearly stated that no further payment was due until next summer. The TA and cruiseline reviewed their paperwork and replayed the recorded telephone conversations. The cruise line reluctantly agreed that our "contract" required no payment between the deposit and the final payment and they are having to foot the interim bill themselves.

We pay a deposit for a cruise and agree to pay our money at the scheduled time in return for a product as defined in the Ts and Cs when we book. How would Azamara feel if we decide after booking that only 95% of the balance payable was appropriate, or that the payment date wasn't good for us? Contracts work both ways, don't they? Either legally, or morally?

I just look forward to the actual cruise and hope the onboard experience is as good as last time. However, I'll be wary of booking a further Azamara cruise.

I note for my 2014 Azamara cruises booked last year the terms & conditions encouraged me to book excursions early as there was no certainty the tours would remain available.

It was also clear to me from the land discovery booking notes Azamara could change their tour pricing before the cruise started & because of this I selectively booked some tours early.

It seems to me that you are complaining too soon. Ideally Azamara would have already written to you but in practice they have not but could do so at any time & still give you several weeks notice of the change.

In any event you do know of the change, can buy the excursions at the discounted rate any time in the next eight weeks so need not suffer any significant loss against what you expected.

It would seem that your repeated criticisms of Azamara are not fully justified.

I have not made "repeated criticisms". I have added my opinion, as have many other people.

Yes, I know I can book excursions now at the lower rate, but have also read many posts on this forum that indicate that the offered excursions often change between their initial appearance on the website and the cruise date. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. I have been on only one Azamara cruise and we didn't want to book any excursions, so didn't watch for changes. Assuming it is true, I'd planned to wait until nearer the date to make decisions.

Having been through a fairly stressful situation just a few weeks ago with the other (nameless) cruise line, I suspect I am a little tired and weary. I think my best plan is to avoid reading this forum.

Edited by Wacktle

You are of course entitled to express your opinion & in this case I have expressed a different view. I think it is healthy to occasionally challenge other bloggers & I can assure you no offence was intended. I hope you will continue to follow cruise critic which is often a valuable source of information.

Edited by MIKESCOTLAND

I think you're right, as sometimes this forum is the only source of information. The amount of posts on all different Azamara subjects shows how passionate people are about the product too, doesn't it. There's barely a comment entered on the forum for the other cruise line we've a booking with!

That is correct. We've been on one Azamara cruise and had one of our shore excursions canceled due to lack of participation. Our money was refunded. It was disappointing because it was one excursion we were really looking forward to.

because AZ cancelled went to your credit card, right? LuAnn

because AZ cancelled went to your credit card, right? LuAnn

Not quite

If it is cancelled once you are on board, the refund goes to your on board account and then at cruise end, it goes to the credit card you used to set up your onboard account - of course you may have taken a replacement excursion that is charged to that account anyway. I have always found in that situation the 25% reduction is applied also to the new booking

If it is cancelled before you sail, the refund goes to your credit card

Post #35 Mikescotland, did you get your response yet?

We booked 2 B2B cruises on the Journey (4/15/14 from Mumbai to Athens and 5/2/14 R/T Athens). I guess in order to take advantage of the 25% discount on shore excursions, we have to book the shore excursions before 1/4/14. The catch is the excursions aren't even available yet on the May 2nd voyage.

BILL, when would the shore excursions be finalized and publicized? Can I book the excursions before my final payment (it is due late Jan14)?

thx.........WeR32cruise

Not quite

If it is cancelled once you are on board, the refund goes to your on board account and then at cruise end, it goes to the credit card you used to set up your onboard account - of course you may have taken a replacement excursion that is charged to that account anyway. I have always found in that situation the 25% reduction is applied also to the new booking

If it is cancelled before you sail, the refund goes to your credit card

Thanks so much for your help!! LuAnn

Post #35 Mikescotland, did you get your response yet?

We booked 2 B2B cruises on the Journey (4/15/14 from Mumbai to Athens and 5/2/14 R/T Athens). I guess in order to take advantage of the 25% discount on shore excursions, we have to book the shore excursions before 1/4/14. The catch is the excursions aren't even available yet on the May 2nd voyage.

BILL, when would the shore excursions be finalized and publicized? Can I book the excursions before my final payment (it is due late Jan14)?

thx.........WeR32cruise

No response yet but will post when get one.

Assuming your excursions are available in time you can definately book them before your final payment. I often do so as they are fully re-fundable.if one has to cancel

ellbon I assume you are commenting regarding my statement I have not had any many earlier pre-paid Azamara tours cancelled whereas you have had a lot cancelled.

It may to be at least partly due to the itineraries or their timing. We were on Journey as recently as October 2013 visiting Turkey & Greek Islands & had none of several excursions cancelled. Similarly none cancelled when we where on Quest in the Black Sea July 2012.

Wow, yet more controversy, just when you'd have thought that Azamara marketing would be lying low!

Fortunately the on-board experience is a complete contrast to the rest of this nonsense.

As my wife and I are relatively new to Azamara and we look for good deals, this change is unlikely to effect us, just as the International beer changes didn't.

However, we'll be treating future marketing statements and seminars with caution.

We decided a while back, as we saw cruising prices increase & our need for a more intensive in-country experience increase along with those prices, that we would soon begin to pick a country & spend 2 to 3 weeks in that country, right after our up-coming cruise on Journey in SE Asia. We would have been hard-pressed to go from hotel to hotel in a car trip in that part of the world, & are so glad that Azamara will allow us to enjoy this experience.

BUT...after this year we will try sinking our roots into a country in auto trips of 2 to 3 weeks duration, starting with France & maybe ending there as there is so much to enjoy in that country but still - we will have Italy & Britain to enjoy just as much.

I cannot help but think that many cruisers will begin to weigh the relative benefits of a per diem per couple of $1,000 against having an on land experience at half the price, including food. Granted, there will not be the camaraderie of a cruise, but we will struggle by.

It may not have occurred to cruise line management that although they taught us how to travel, we are now fully fledged & ready to spread our wings to enjoy a more intense experience. If they have priced themselves out of the market, perhaps it was a market that many of us were ready to leave anyway.

Just some thoughts.....