2014 Discontinuation of 25% Savings on Land Discoveries and Enhanced Tour Program

Bill Leiber

Hello Azamara Cruise Followers -

Earlier today I was informed that effective January 4th, 2014, the current 25% savings on Land Discoveries bookings pre-cruise, will no longer be available. Guests, however, already booked on a 2014 voyage, or those who book now through January 3rd, 2014, will still be eligible for the 25% savings as long as they book at least 4 days prior to the voyage start date.

We are also revamping our 2014 Land Discoveries program so that we can take "destination immersion" to a new level and will offer the following:

§ Tours of shorter duration.

§ Smaller and more intimate group experiences.

§ Azamara’s Insider Series – deeper social cultural immersion with locals.

§ Restructured Night Touring program with single-themed after dinner experiences.

Whether you enjoy gliding through the rainforest treetops in Puerto Limon, attending Carnival in Brazil, a bull fight in Spain, or visiting actual homes of some of the locals in Copenhagen, we have taken destination immersion to a new level.

And better yet, there are times where we will be promoting our new land excursions, like this coming November, on select 2014 Mediterranean voyages, when one Land Discovery in every port will be yours, free.

Here are details about the policy change:

Q&A:

1. When does the discontinuation of the 25% discount take effect?

§ The discontinuation of the 25% discount is effective as of January 4th, 2014.

2. What about those guests that are already booked on a 2014 sailing, yet have not yet purchased their Land Discoveries? Are they still eligible?

§ Yes, guests already booked on a 2014 voyage are eligible to receive the 25% savings as long as they book at least 4 days prior to the voyage start date, or until January 3rd, 2014.

3. Can guests still receive a discount if they book prior to January 4th, 2014?

§ Yes, those guests who book now through January 3rd, 2014, will still be eligible for the 25% savings as long as they book at least 4 days prior to the voyage start date.

4. After the discontinuation, will the same rules still apply? i.e. if we cancel a tour that guests have pre-booked at the 25% discounted rate, do we still honor the 25% on board for a different tour?

§ No

5. What kinds of messaging are we doing to ensure guests are aware of the discontinuation of the 25% discount?

§ The Azamara Marketing team has developed messaging for the following:

- All Consumer communication related to shore excursions.

- All Trade Communication related to shore excursions.

- Dedicated e-mails to direct booked guests, as well as Trade.

- Digital (Website & Social Media)

- Press Releases

- Communication Bulletins Onboard staff and onboard cruise sales consultants.

6. Will rates change immediately upon the discontinuation or how long will it take before new rates are implemented?

§ No

7. If guests had any issues pre-booking their cruise and tours before January 4th online due to an internet glitch, do we honor the 25% or not?

§ No

8. Will we provide a new incentive for guests, in order to continue to push the pre-cruise booking initiative?

§ We’re enhancing the Land Discoveries program to make it more appealing and destination driven.

9. Will the content on the web and other areas be updated to reflect this change?

§ Yes

As Azamara's Chief Blogging Officer, I'll be standing by for your further comments and questions.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill

Thanks, can I clarify the small print. In the beginning of your post you indicate guests currently booked will continue to receive the discount (no qualification on booking period) but later I read it I have to book the discoveries before 4 January. (q2 and 3)

Glad to be given the window of opportunity, it is nice to see feedback from when we lost out last year has been taken onboard) but want to be 100% sure when I have to book things by.

A second question, there are excursions offered for 2014 Med cruises already. Given the "new look excursions" will more be added later on based on the new programme?

And finally, what about guests booked on the 2015 programmes where again the materials on which we booked mentioned 25%. We cannot book excursions for that in the period?

Thanks for telling us here, unlike other cruisers, no email notifications have been received from the cruiseline here though my bookings are direct with them

Edited by uktog

Thanks for the heads-up.

If Jan. 3 is indeed the cut-off date to receive the discount, will all potential tours be established by then or will further changes, reflecting the new policies you've reported, be instituted?

Looking forward to more information as the policies are implemented.

Edited by nordski

The email announcement is not clearly written. However, it appears that the January deadline pertains to the booking of the cruise rather than the booking of the excursion. If I understand correctly, those booking their cruise on or before January 3, 2014 can still get the excursion discount if they book their excursion no later than four days before the start date of their cruise.

Bill, when will the specifics for this new program be released?

The email announcement is not clearly written. However, it appears that the January deadline pertains to the booking of the cruise rather than the booking of the excursion. If I understand correctly, those booking their cruise on or before January 3, 2014 can still get the excursion discount if they book their excursion no later than four days before the start date of their cruise.

That's how I read it.

I have to disagree with the above 2 posts. I stand to be corrected of course if I am wrong.

To me, this is saying that you have to have booked the shorex by 4th Jan in order to receive the discount and is not related to booking the cruise.

I cannot see how they would work it that if Joe Bloggs booked a cruise for September 2014 today and Jane Doe books the same cruise, but on Feb 1st, that Joe will get the discount up until 4 days prior to sailing and Jane won't! I just cannot see how their systems will be smart enough! :rolleyes:

Bill, please can you answer this:

Guest A books Quest for September 2014 today.

Guest B books Quest for September 2014 in February of next year.

Will Guest A, B or both get the 25% discount when they try to book their shorex in August of next year?

I have to disagree with the above 2 posts. I stand to be corrected of course if I am wrong.

To me, this is saying that you have to have booked the shorex by 4th Jan in order to receive the discount and is not related to booking the cruise.

I cannot see how they would work it that if Joe Bloggs booked a cruise for September 2014 today and Jane Doe books the same cruise, but on Feb 1st, that Joe will get the discount up until 4 days prior to sailing and Jane won't! I just cannot see how their systems will be smart enough! :rolleyes:

Bill, please can you answer this:

Guest A books Quest for September 2014 today.

Guest B books Quest for September 2014 in February of next year.

Will Guest A, B or both get the 25% discount when they try to book their shorex in August of next year?

That was how I read it as well and wanted clarification either way the communication is unclear

Thank you Bill. Although discounts are always welcomed, I look forward more to the smaller tour groups and more personalized experience and am willing to sacrifice that minimal discount for that added benefit.

These type of positive changes would give me pause from booking private tours as I usually do when possible.

Looking forward to more updates...:)

Right. Bill's second sentence says that quite clearly.

Yes agree, but the reason for my query is that whilst this sentence and the response to Q and A 3 would support that view, Q and A 2 is at the very least ambiguous and appears to contradict that view. I know Bill will have been given the script from HO I am not having a go at him at all, but at the very least Q and A 2 needs rewriting or removing

I just got an email from someone who spoke with Azamara, and they were told that the land tours DO have to be booked by 1/4. This makes no sense in the context of Bill's note, if you closely read "those who book now through January 3rd, 2014, will still be eligible for the 25% savings as long as they book at least 4 days prior to the voyage start date."

I guess we do need clarification!

Hello MZK, Uktog and all other Readers -

I've created what I hope is a summary sheet of the details about the last-chance to receive the 25% Land Discoveries Savings in 2014 and hope that my response clears up any confusion.

Just to be sure about its content accuracy, I decided not to post until I had received approval from our marketing, reservations and shore excursion management.

I hope to post tomorrow and thank you for your continue patience.

Best regards.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello MZK and other Readers -

I've attempted to summarize the details about the last-chance to receive the 25% Land Discoveries Savings in 2014.

The language on website states the following about our Land Discoveries Savings:

§ Effective January 4, 2014, the current 25% savings on Land Discoveries will no longer be available.

§ Guests already booked on a 2014 voyage, or those who book now through midnight January 3, 2014 will still be eligible for the 25% savings as long as you book online at least 4 days prior to the voyage sailing date or prior to January 3, 2014.

There are two specific voyages shown below in which there are specific "last-call" dates to receive the savings during the booking process for both NEW and EXISTING reservations. The rule is driven by the fact Land Discoveries must be booked at least four (4) - 24-hour cycles/days prior to the voyage's embarkation day. That means that the sailing date is not included in the calculation.

- Departure - Quest, Jan 5, 2014 - you have until December 31, 2013, 11:59 PM EST to do so.

- Departure - Journey, Jan 6, 2014 - you have until January 01, 2014, 11:59 PM EST to do so.

With respect to the brain-teaser question, using the rules above, the correct response:

§ Q: Guest A books Quest for September 2014 today.

- A: Must book Land Discoveries no later than now through midnight January 3, 2014.

§ Q: Guest B books Quest for September 2014 in February of next year.

- A: Guest B is not eligible. The program was discontinued on midnight, January 3, 2014.

For the sake of good order, please keep in mind the 25% Land Discoveries Savings program will not be offered in 2015. Our rationale was a reformulation of our "destination immersion" concept for 2014 and into the future so that we could offer the following based on our guest feedback:

§ Restructured Night Touring program with single-themed after dinner experiences.

Also, from time to time, we will be offering our Land Discoveries in special promotions.

I hope this adds clarity to the process to the changes ahead.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill,

Message understood, but made unnecessarily difficult. They could have just stated that land tour discount will be unavailable in 2015 and will only be available in 2014, if it is booked before Jan 4 AND at least 4 days prior to cruising . No guest would reserve a land tour without already being booked on a cruise.

Edited by 3418ahl

Bill,

Message understood, but made unnecessarily difficult. They could have just stated that land tour discount will be unavailable in 2015 and will only be available in 2014, if it is booked before Jan 4 AND at least 4 days prior to cruising . No guest would reserve a land tour without already being booked on a cruise.

Exactly right. Starting to seem like Azamara is doing its best to turn off loyal customers. Can't blame this one on Edie.

Will be interesting to see if any of Bill's "rationale" expressed above really comes to pass.

Edited by marinaro44

One big reason to book their tours was the 50% then 25% discount ,now i will look harder for private tours. No reason to book large tours at full price-when you can get a private tour for the same or less money.

Point is, I think, that Azamara are trying to make the tours more interesting, more culturally immersive, smaller groups, more evening and night tours etc.

That seems to be their USP's for this change!

Point is, I think, that Azamara are trying to make the tours more interesting, more culturally immersive, smaller groups, more evening and night tours etc.

That seems to be their USP's for this change!

i was in europe fr 6 weeks and all tours were about 35 people. to large!

so now no discount and smaller-so back to 2011 and 2012 when they were smaller but had discount. we do need more night tours/ had a great dinner and show in seville in August.

Bill - It seems we have two months or so left to reserve our land tours at the 25% discount. However, I am not too sure that two of the tours on our cruise - 3rd April 2014 Singapore to Mumbai - have the correct description and wonder if the wording has just been taken from previous land tours where the ship arrived at, say, 9.am in the morning. The tours in question are those in Phuket - the Sea Cave Canoe Adventure and Phang Nga Bay, 8.5 hours and 8 hours respectively. The tours start at 1.15 p.m and 1.30 p.m. and include lunch late in the tour descriptions. We would love to book one or other now, but do not wish to tie our money up only to find the tours are cancelled. Could you please confirm that the wording is correct. Many thanks, and sorry to give you yet another problem. - Pam

Yes, but we've seen the initial hype accompanying a price increase (and that's exactly what this is) turn into disappointment before. Remember the "selection of international beers" that hyped the BIG November announcement?

Until we see smaller group excursions at a reasonable undiscounted price, more "culturally immersive" excursions, etc., I'm skeptical that this is anything more than a price increase with the usual spin to soften the reaction. I'd like to be wrong about this. Really. And I don't mind price increases if I'm told that "costs are such that we just had to increase prices."

Edited by marinaro44

Bill,

Great summary. Given the deadline dates, I would go further and just state this:

The 25% discount for pre-booking Land Discoveries excursions will only apply to cruises that embark in 2014, and even then, only if the excursions are booked by January 3, 2014, 11:59 PM EST, except for the following cruises:

1. Quest, departing Jan. 5, 2014: for this cruise, you must book the excursions by December 31, 2013, 11:59 PM EST.
  2. Journey, departing Jan. 6, 2014: for this cruise,you must book the excursions by January 01, 2014, 11:59 PM EST.

Great summary. Given the deadline dates, I would go further and just state this:

The 25% discount for pre-booking Land Discoveries excursions will only apply to cruises that embark in 2014, and even then, only if the excursions are booked by January 3, 2014, 11:59 PM EST, except for the following cruises:

1. Quest, departing Jan. 5, 2014: for this cruise, you must book the excursions by December 31, 2013, 11:59 PM EST.
  2. Journey, departing Jan. 6, 2014: for this cruise,you must book the excursions by January 01, 2014, 11:59 PM EST.

According to the E-mail and a phone conversation with Azamara, that is not correct. It is based on the booked cruises and not the land discoveries. They can be booked up until 4 days before cruising.

Edited by midwestchick

Per Bill:

"For the sake of good order, please keep in mind the 25% Land Discoveries Savings program will not be offered in 2015. Our rationale was a reformulation of our "destination immersion" concept for 2014 and into the future so that we could offer the following based on our guest feedback:

§ Restructured Night Touring program with single-themed after dinner experiences."

Very lofty goals, but very difficult to pull off. For one thing, in many ports, especially the smaller ones, a local "agent" controls the ship tour business. He is usually the brother/relative of the local port agent. In many ports they have an iron fist on who deals with the cruise lines and at what price. For AZ to change the metrics of the tour business/offerings in many ports will be very tough. The locals don't like either change or less money if you decrease the loads on the vehicles (bus), etc.

Bottom line is the price of shore excursions is going up- period.