Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/ourLeadership.do?name=Adam+M.+Goldstein

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'm impressed that someone can just email him and he answers!

I'm watching The Voice right now and a little distracted by Adam Levine:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Can you please tell me where you are seeing the revised itinerary? I'm confused now more than ever because you and big booper are contradicting each other!!!

It was post #36. I assume this was posted by someone who is currently on the Eastern Route. I'm not certain they will continue with this same itinerary but that would be my impression:

Well, it's official. The Eastern itinerary has been changed for this week.

Nassau is from 7am until 12:30.

St. Thomas is 11:30 until 6:30.

No official word on why.

_____

I did mess up though on the St. Thomas time. My cruises shows St. Thomas from 10am-7pm. This revised shows it 11:30-6:30 so that actually makes it 2 hours less time in St. Thomas. And yes, that does potentially affect my decision of whether to go to St. John or not. 11:30 likely would mean nearly noon before we get off the ship. I'm not sure what time the ferry would run, but it might not be until 1:00. That gets me to Trunk then around 2:00 at the earliest..and we would need to leave by 5:00ish to get back to the ship. That is frustrating to me, especially with the lack of time (even originally) for Nassau.

I would prefer they skip Nassau and extend the time in St. Thomas. That is my personal preference though. I love Nassau, but the amount of time isn't enough to spend the $$ at Atlantis or to go a lot of places (IMHO). If we're only there a few hours, too me, I might as well have the sea day and ensure the full amount of time in STT. I wonder what RCI's agreement is with Nassau though. I imagine to flag their ships they need to make a certain number of stops/passengers in the Bahamas. The # of pax on Allure likely dictates that ship would do everything to not miss the port of call. That is all a guess on my end though.

It is one thing to be flexible in times of weather or other unexpected issues that occur. In those cases, while a bit disappointed at the situation, I do realize it is out of the cruise lines control. I'm normally able to find an alternative or enjoy the ship. In this case, it is something they are aware of and they likely will know shortly when they will be able to fix it. To continue this route without prior notification to those booked is more than irritating.

Edited by reney313

I was on Oasis in December 2012 and a nautical engineering student noticed that there wasn't 3 jets out of back of the ship and asked the captain why they weren't running all three azipods. During the Captain's Corner the captain said they were "nursing" one of the azipods because it was having problems.

Donna27th October, 2013 at 1:47 am

Hi Adam,

I really appreciate the opportunity to ask you questions directly. I have been reading about propulsion issues on the Allure. Can you elaborate on that situation. Have a cruise booked for May 2014 and am concerned. Thanks.

• Adam28th October, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    Hi Donna – Allure of the Seas currently has a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew.

Really?

How can all equipment be "fully operational" when there is obviously a problem with one azipod limiting her top speed to the point that itineraries are being affected? This problem dates back a while and seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Hence the recent itinerary adjustments.

Nice try A.G. :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler80

I was on Oasis in December 2012 and a nautical engineering student noticed that there wasn't 3 jets out of back of the ship and asked the captain why they weren't running all three azipods. During the Captain's Corner the captain said they were "nursing" one of the azipods because it was having problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmom

Hi Adam,

I really appreciate the opportunity to ask you questions directly. I have been reading about propulsion issues on the Allure. Can you elaborate on that situation. Have a cruise booked for May 2014 and am concerned. Thanks.

Adam28th October, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hi Donna – Allure of the Seas currently has a small restriction on her top speed. All equipment is fully operational and there is no impact on the maneuverability of the ship or on the safety of our guests and crew.

Really?

How can all equipment be "fully operational" when there is obviously a problem with one azipod limiting her top speed to the point that itineraries are being affected? This problem dates back a while and seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Hence the recent itinerary adjustments.

Nice try A.G. :mad:

First post is about the Oasis; 2nd post is about the Allure.

Edited by moakes

That may be the first time I've heard Nassau and premium in the same breath. :D

Where are the Like and "Love" buttons!!!!! The armpit of the Caribbean!

Been there a few times over 21 cruises and if I never see it again I would be extremely happy!

Any stop in Nassau (or Freeport) imho is a ship day.:D

It was post #36. I assume this was posted by someone who is currently on the Eastern Route. I'm not certain they will continue with this same itinerary but that would be my impression:

No official word on why.

_____

I did mess up though on the St. Thomas time. My cruises shows St. Thomas from 10am-7pm. This revised shows it 11:30-6:30 so that actually makes it 2 hours less time in St. Thomas. And yes, that does potentially affect my decision of whether to go to St. John or not. 11:30 likely would mean nearly noon before we get off the ship. I'm not sure what time the ferry would run, but it might not be until 1:00. That gets me to Trunk then around 2:00 at the earliest..and we would need to leave by 5:00ish to get back to the ship. That is frustrating to me, especially with the lack of time (even originally) for Nassau.

I would prefer they skip Nassau and extend the time in St. Thomas. That is my personal preference though. I love Nassau, but the amount of time isn't enough to spend the $$ at Atlantis or to go a lot of places (IMHO). If we're only there a few hours, too me, I might as well have the sea day and ensure the full amount of time in STT. I wonder what RCI's agreement is with Nassau though. I imagine to flag their ships they need to make a certain number of stops/passengers in the Bahamas. The # of pax on Allure likely dictates that ship would do everything to not miss the port of call. That is all a guess on my end though.

It is one thing to be flexible in times of weather or other unexpected issues that occur. In those cases, while a bit disappointed at the situation, I do realize it is out of the cruise lines control. I'm normally able to find an alternative or enjoy the ship. In this case, it is something they are aware of and they likely will know shortly when they will be able to fix it. To continue this route without prior notification to those booked is more than irritating.

Thanks so much!

I agree about St Thomas-St John. That would be tight, especially getting back to the ship with the traffic in Charlotte Amalie.

Looks like it's Megans Bay for us...again:D

Well if it's a bearing, that can't be fixed without a dry dock. Bearing's don't get better with time. Royal should be forthcoming about the problem and what the prognosis is. All of us with Allure cruises coming up need to be concerned until there is some dialogue from Royal explaining things.

Based on the bearing problems that previous generations of pods experienced, the newer pods like on the Allure have bearings that can be replaced from the inside while the ship is still afloat. However, these large bearings are not "in stock" items, so RCI is probably waiting for the bearings to be supplied. Since they are currently using the pod, though at reduced load, to make even a revised itinerary, they are also looking for a chance to get time in the itinerary to take the pod out of service for several days for repairs underway, as well as taking cabins out of inventory for the special technicians from ABB.

Hi Adam,

• Adam28th October, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Of course he doesn't address the issue. What are they doing to fix it and when will that happen? And are itinerary times changing until the fix? Why does he dance around the issue like a politician? No one has questioned the safety of the passengers and crew.

I find it amusing that there is such drama over a propulsion blade. The issue has been there for approximately 4 weeks now and aside from 1 hour less is Nassau, there has been no other disruption to guests which I think is fantastic. They are working at every opportunity to get it fixed and I am sure all will be sorted soon. I agree with the comments regarding the time in Nassau. I have visited there twice on Allure. On my first trip I did the Blue Lagoon Island. We had a lovely boat ride there and back and plenty of time for lunch and sunbathing. On my second trip I did the See and Sea tour. I was back on the ship well before the 1.30pm (as it was on my cruise) all aboard time. It is hardly a huge port and it isn't as though there is enough to do to keep people amused all day. Hoping it is all sorted soon :)

And I find it amusing that you present information like you have some inside scoop on what RCI is doing.

Based on the bearing problems that previous generations of pods experienced, the newer pods like on the Allure have bearings that can be replaced from the inside while the ship is still afloat. However, these large bearings are not "in stock" items, so RCI is probably waiting for the bearings to be supplied. Since they are currently using the pod, though at reduced load, to make even a revised itinerary, they are also looking for a chance to get time in the itinerary to take the pod out of service for several days for repairs underway, as well as taking cabins out of inventory for the special technicians from ABB.

So what you you estimate for a time frame to fix the issue? It is good to know that bearings can now be serviced without dry docking a ship. Thanks.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Adam,

Maybe both Allure and Oasis are having similar azipod issues?

So what you you estimate for a time frame to fix the issue? It is good to know that bearings can now be serviced without dry docking a ship. Thanks.

Hard to say, with regards to deliver of the bearings. Actual work should take about 5-7 days. Scheduling for reduced speed, and manufacturer's technicians is also hard to guess.

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Adam,

Yes, first post about Oasis and second about Allure....they use the same equipment(azipods) and both have had problems apparently. Was Oasis repaired? If so, maybe Allure can be repaired also while cruising as chengkp75 has stated. We can only hope it doesn't affect our cruise dates.

What was wrong with the Celebrity ship in Alaska? Was it pod issues? They ended up canceling a few cruises to fix it. Having seen the bearing get replaced on Freedom, I can't see it being done while the ship is in service, but only Royal knows for sure.

Edited by bilyclub

What was wrong with the Celebrity ship in Alaska? Was it pod issues? They ended up canceling a few cruises to fix it. Having seen the bearing get replaced on Freedom, I can't see it being done while the ship is in service.

Maybe the design was changed when Oasis and Allure were built? I'm sure they learned from that mistake. I believe that is what chengkp75 was trying to say here.

Guess so, Wikipedia says so: The latest design, the Azipod X, incorporates these improvements, with a view to a service interval of five years, and features bearings that can be taken apart and repaired from the inside of the pod while the ship is harboured normally

Guess so, Wikipedia says so: The latest design, the Azipod X, incorporates these improvements, with a view to a service interval of five years, and features bearings that can be taken apart and repaired from the inside of the pod while the ship is harboured normally

Well there you go...nice job researching! let's hope the bearing are ordered and a plan is in place.

What was wrong with the Celebrity ship in Alaska? Was it pod issues? They ended up canceling a few cruises to fix it. Having seen the bearing get replaced on Freedom, I can't see it being done while the ship is in service, but only Royal knows for sure.

Yes, Celebrity had pod issues and they had to sail the ship to Freeport where the pod was replaced in drydock. Celebrity uses pods built by Rolls-Royce and in their early years were very troublesome. Don't know if the present problem was unique or a sign of more troubles. RCI on the other hand uses the Azipod built by ABB, which seems to have had far fewer issues. Of course Royal seems to be very tight lipped about the causes of the itinerary changes.

Yes, Celebrity had pod issues and they had to sail the ship to Freeport where the pod was replaced in drydock. Celebrity uses pods built by Rolls-Royce and in their early years were very troublesome. Don't know if the present problem was unique or a sign of more troubles. RCI on the other hand uses the Azipod built by ABB, which seems to have had far fewer issues. Of course Royal seems to be very tight lipped about the causes of the itinerary changes.

More like for the inquiring minds...but anyway...here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod

No official word on why.

_____

My group is sailing the week of Nov 24. The RCL website still shows 10-7 for St Thomas. Is RCL keeping quiet, only announcing this rumored change when people have boarded the ship?

Like others have posted, reduced time at St Thomas would cause us to cancel our shore excursion, by far the highlight of our week.

Disappointing, but I'd rather know now when I can make alternate plans.There are a lot of ships in port that day.

This is a bit confusing and frustrating. Looking at May 2014 I'm very close to booking for the Allure Eastern- and they are showing Nassau 7-2 and St Thomas 10-7 - I find it a bit dodgy if indeed they know they have to change it, but are still selling-showing it for the wrong time.