All single supplement now 100% after site upgrade

roquejo

There is an actual glitch in the system right now, but it's not one mentioned by anyone here yet.

The website is truly DOUBLING the fare for a single. In fact, part of that fare is "non-commissioned fare" and is only paid once per passenger. So, just like taxes, this part of the fare should not be part of the single cruiser's fare.

I assume that they'll fix it soon. :rolleyes:

You got that right!!

I recalled my conversation few months ago with our RCCL representative here. The cruise fare is actually doubled for singles ever since. But not exactly the total amount you see on the screen. It's typically around 80%. Because only the base fare is doubled, approx 20% of the fare is actually some added stuff that is only paid per passenger. This excludes the taxes and prepaid gratuities.

So there is currently a glitch in the computation after the upgrade, that it simply doubles everything you see on the screen, including the around 20% added portion of the fare breakdown that you can't see that is actually paid only once per passenger.

The actual breakdown of the fare, on which portion is doubled for singles, can't be seen online, you need to get an RCCL representative to show the actual breakdown computation for you.

While it could be a glitch with Royals site. Carnival has been charging solos double fares for quite some time. So its not an unheard of practice.

I confirm that it is a glitch, I called RCCL office here and inquired with a particular sailing I have in mind. They computed the solo fare and it came out the old rate before the upgrade, not the current double solo fare shown in the website.

I confirm that it is a glitch, I called RCCL office here and inquired with a particular sailing I have in mind. They computed the solo fare and it came out the old rate before the upgrade, not the current double solo fare shown in the website.

Thank you for posting. I was just waiting for someone to do this and somewhat put an end to all the speculation.

Thanks for the update, but it would be nice to see that reflected on the actual website.

Maybe they will wait until they do the weekend website shutdown

I was considering a few for next year with only about a 20% supplement. Unfortunately, I just checked and now they have 100% supplements. I guess my plan for 4 cruises next year is going to have to be adjusted.

I was going to do multiple NCC bookings on my cruise in about a month. Does anyone know how long the NCC's are good for? If pricing doesn't get better for solos next year, I might want to spread the 4 cruises out over the next few years.

i believe they are good for almost ever but are non refundable.

Edited by Folk Singer

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a glitch.

I just talked to a supervisor and she confirmed that the single rate for Cat N on Explorer Jan 31st is $1,458.00 plus taxes, the same as the double occupancy rate.

She said that before Oct 27th a 100% single supplement meant the passenger was charged double the commissionable rate, but only paid the non-commissionable rate for one person.

As of Oct 27th 100% single supplement means that the passenger is charged double the commissionable and non-commissionable rate. Which means they pay the same as double occupancy before taxes are applied.

I don't understand how they can charge double the non-commissionable rate. My understanding is that it is largely made up of port fees which they only pay once for a single passenger. It would be great if CruiseCritic could get someone at RCL to comment on the record.

Hilarious that they promoted this as if singles were getting something extra (double points) when the truth is that they were raising prices significantly for singles (doubling the non-commissionable rate).

IC

That really sucks....I was looking to book an Asian cruise in 2015 as the single supplements were really low this year and for next year ....I can't find any now where the fare is not doubled.

Looks like next year's cruise will be my last solo one.

thanks Royal Caribbean for making solo travellers feel unwanted and unwelcome :mad:

Cruising January 18 2014. Booked d1 triple. Wanted Jr.suite guarantee ("w"-jr.suite guarantee). There was no "w" guarantee for a triple and a confirmed room was $5700. Found out a quadruple "w" was available for $5400. I don't know how rccl is figuring it out prices but it would have been cheaper if I created an factitious person for my cruise. I don't know what is going on with rccl

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

That really sucks....I was looking to book an Asian cruise in 2015 as the single supplements were really low this year and for next year ....I can't find any now where the fare is not doubled.

thanks Royal Caribbean for making solo travellers feel unwanted and unwelcome :mad:

Pretty much how I feel too :(

Very disappointing.

I have felt that Royal Caribbean do not cater very well for the solo traveller, on board, compared to another couple of cruise lines that I have been on.:(

I'd like to weigh in on this as well... I cruise solo occasionally and I was thinking about a 3 day trip after the holidays on 12/27. Well the price is listed around 2k for 3 days , really? That's for an inside room and I have never even cruised in an interior room? How is that possible? If this is the trend for solos? If so I guess after 35 cruises with RCI I will have to find a new way to travel.. I can see paying a higher rate because it's around the holidays, 2k for 3 days??? Am I missing something?

Yikes!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'd like to weigh in on this as well... I cruise solo occasionally and I was thinking about a 3 day trip after the holidays on 12/27. Well the price is listed around 2k for 3 days , really? That's for an inside room and I have never even cruised in an interior room? How is that possible? If this is the trend for solos? If so I guess after 35 cruises with RCI I will have to find a new way to travel.. I can see paying a higher rate because it's around the holidays, 2k for 3 days??? Am I missing something?

Yikes!!!

That pricing likely reflects the supply and demand for a (relatively) last minute cruise. The cruise line may have sold nearly all the cabins, so the price rises on the few remaining cabins. Only those who really want to be on that ship for that cruise will pay that price. Others (like you, perhaps) will decline at that price.

Yikes!!!

That 12/27 cruise is not indicative of the regular pricing for the shorter cruises but is treated as a holiday cruise by RCI as many people are off at that time and looking to get away. Many will also combine with the Christmas or New Years cruises and do a B2B.

Last year we got a great deal mid December on this cruise. $159pp outside cabin on the Monarch.

Yikes!!!

What ship are you checking? You can book a jr suite for majesty and enchantment for dec 27 3 day cruises for under 2k. Maybe it was a glitch when you were price checking.

Yikes!!!

Majesty interior 12/27 is $544 for a single.

Enchantment interior 12/27 is $989 for a single.

What were you looking at?!?!?!?

The Tuesday sale brochure is still showing single supplements as low as 150%, and they are starting to show the holiday cruises now. In another 2 weeks all the unsold holiday cruises will be showing up:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Thats nice for those that have flexible schedules and/or live close to port... but many have to plan their cruises well in advance and/or factor in getting to the ship last minute.

Thats nice for those that have flexible schedules and/or live close to port... but many have to plan their cruises well in advance and/or factor in getting to the ship last minute.

I would be nice to have a flexible schedule and live close to ports. Though I have to fly, I have gotten some deals from Tuesday sales, and I am happy to have that link among my bookmarks.

This time that link was was probably being suggested in response to the S Florida poster looking at a 12/27 cruise. So, it was indeed for somebody near port and the advice was customized to their schedule. That seems rather considerate.

I would be nice to have a flexible schedule and live close to ports. Though I have to fly, I have gotten some deals from Tuesday sales, and I am happy to have that link among my bookmarks.

This time that link was was probably being suggested in response to the S Florida poster looking at a 12/27 cruise. So, it was indeed for somebody near port and the advice was customized to their schedule. That seems rather considerate.

Thank you. That's exactly why I posted the link. I just want single supplement cruisers to know there are a few other options available. The Tuesday sales actually go out 2 - 3 months sometimes, so one is not stuck with last minute air costs.

(Good thing I didn't post anything about D+ with 340 / 350 points sail for 150% single supplement; I would have REALLY been blasted!) :D

Yes, this is very disappointing. I just booked my first solo cruise for 2015 and feel the same way :(

I think I will do some price shopping right now.....