Is a balcony room a waste on port intensive cruise?

Just because a balcony is on the port side of the ship does not mean it will have the best view of a port.

Exactly on my Southen cruise we docked starboard side at evey port except two. On my recent Freedom cruise we docked starboard side at every port except the port we tenedered in.

I enjoy my balcony port intensive or not. We like to sit and have breakfast when getting close to the ports. We will usually sit out there having a beer or wine or drink of the day before getting ready for dinner, and also like to sit out there late night before going to bed, so we use ours frequently. It is also a good place to get away from all the crowds for a while when you want to without having to stay indoors. As others have said it is pretty much up to you!

My first choice is an interior cabin. For me, money is always a consideration. I'd rather spend my money on a spa treatment or a fun excursion. I can have a cup of coffee on a deck and enjoy the ocean view. The ship offers an unlimited number of spots to sit and enjoy a beautiful view. I'm never in the room long enough to feel as if the extra expense of a balcony is worth it. The best view isn't always from my balcony.

If I'm traveling with my DH then we have to get a balcony cabin, because he has claustrophobia. I think a great deal depends on what kind of experience you're desiring. If you are intending to spend a great deal of time in your cabin, then a balcony might be worth it. I don't go on vacation to relax; I'm on the go for as many hours a day that my body can possibly go. So I guess it really depends on what is important to you.

Balcony cabins are definitely the way to go! We've done both and will never go back to an inside cabin - too closed in feeling, no natural light, can't watch, or listen to, the ocean go by in your p.j.'s, etc. Ordering room service and sitting out on the balcony drinking your morning coffee and eating breakfast just can't be beat! Plus, if you book your cruise the day it opens, you get the rock bottom price since the prices go up after the second day! We booked a junior suite for a trans-Atlantic in April, 2014 the first day it was opened and after the first week the prices had doubled. Happy cruising! :)

We couldn't agree more! We did the same as you and we are on the TA on the Legend - already booked our TA in April 2015 in JS for the much lower price than an inside will cost as the cruise gets closer -

We booked our first balcony Jewel -10 Days Panama/Caribbean - 02/11 - and have never gone back to a 'normal' cabin!

We also love the watching the ship dock in the morning - having our breakfast in the room on port days - a glass of wine in the evening before dinner watching the ship leave - the beautiful sunsets and sunrises - TOO MUCH to give up!

But to each their own - some cruisers do not like balconies - WE LOVE THEM!

I don't see why the ports or number of them would dictate whether or not to get a balcony room. If on a cruise with lots of sea day's, does that mean you'll spend your time sitting on a balcony looking at the water???:rolleyes: Not likely. If one likes a balcony room and can afford it, do so whatever the cruise. If it isn't a priority and saving money is more important, then don't pay for it........

OP, I think you are probably wondering if you will get "use" out of it as port intensive cruises are so busy - many people go go go and then just come home and flop into bed. :)

Only you can decide this for yourselves, but we have had a balcony for most of our cruises. *ahem* I have a little claustrophobia issue and the balcony room makes the space feel bigger and brighter, an extension of the cabin, if you will. Yes, we used our balcony on our intensive Med cruise two years ago and loved it. The fact that we were busy did not deter us from wanting or using a balcony./

BUT... as stated, only you can decide.

If you have to ask "Is it worth it", it probably is not. You have not mentioned the difference in price, but this is obviously a factor.

Just a suggestion - book an inside or OV and watch the prices. Often the prices come down, especially right after final payment and you can pay the difference and change cabins. If not, you will still have a great cruise and you can enjoy the free view from the upper decks.

Our only experience cruising was with a balcony room. That being said - we could never use the balcony. This is probably why I am questioning the attempt at another balcony room.

Not to start anything up - but I am allergic to tobacco and our neighbour never left their balcony if you know what I mean.

We have already booked the hump room balcony on Adventure as soon as the cruise came online, but they are offering a deal that would save us $630 that is making me re-think the situation.

To make matters worse an offer with another cruise line just came in that is still southern Caribbean - with two alternative ports to Adventures but with an inside cabin saves $993.82.

So confused.

Our only experience cruising was with a balcony room. That being said - we could never use the balcony. This is probably why I am questioning the attempt at another balcony room.

Not to start anything up - but I am allergic to tobacco and our neighbour never left their balcony if you know what I mean.

We have already booked the hump room balcony on Adventure as soon as the cruise came online, but they are offering a deal that would save us $630 that is making me re-think the situation.

To make matters worse an offer with another cruise line just came in that is still southern Caribbean - with two alternative ports to Adventures but with an inside cabin saves $993.82.

So confused.

No more smoking on the balconies...i am thinking the new policy is either now in affect or getting ready to. Saving money is fantastic....

What ever you do being on a cruise is better than being home...no cleaning or cooking...just my thoughts....

Love my two weeks on the Adventure with all different ports....tho.

I think you are probably wondering if you will get "use" out of it as port intensive cruises are so busy - many people go go go and then just come home and flop into bed. :)

This is me, totally. Had a balcony on a port intensive Southern Caribbean cruise, hardly ever used it. Wish I had saved the money and booked a less expensive cabin. Everyone's experience is different though.

Appreciate all your opinions. This is our 30th anniversary cruise, and leading up to it we skipped both birthday celebrations (well still had cake!) as a way of saving for this cruise.

Did not know about the new smoking policy - that was great tidbit for me to know.

This may be our last vacation for awhile - we have until end of November to decide what to do - finances can be such a pain in the axx. Have just bought in-laws house as she has gone to retirement home. Everything that could go wrong has. Haven't sold our house yet (interest rates went up just as we went on market), central vac at new house is broken, bathtub is 47yrs old, ceilings in bedrooms are only 7.5ft high (everywhere else in house is higher) so my over bed painting will no longer fit, had a small bug infestation in the basement (everything is still on tables).

All screams money - but we are still holding out hope that we can make cruise happen!

Appreciate all your opinions. This is our 30th anniversary cruise, and leading up to it we skipped both birthday celebrations (well still had cake!) as a way of saving for this cruise.

Did not know about the new smoking policy - that was great tidbit for me to know.

This may be our last vacation for awhile - we have until end of November to decide what to do - finances can be such a pain in the axx. Have just bought in-laws house as she has gone to retirement home. Everything that could go wrong has. Haven't sold our house yet (interest rates went up just as we went on market), central vac at new house is broken, bathtub is 47yrs old, ceilings in bedrooms are only 7.5ft high (everywhere else in house is higher) so my over bed painting will no longer fit, had a small bug infestation in the basement (everything is still on tables).

All screams money - but we are still holding out hope that we can make cruise happen!

Sure hope you CAN squeeze in the cruise! We are trying an inside cabin this December and I can tell you ahead of time that we will have a great cruise.

Port Days or SeaDays - makes no difference to me - I will always prefer a balcony.

If it's a Hawaiian cruise, - a balcony is a must, and those are port intensive.

Maybe on a Pride of America cruise but most Hawaiian cruises have closed looped itinerary out of a west coast USA port that typically have twice the number of sea days as port days. Even a typical one way repositioning cruise to or from Hawaii will have similar number of sea days to port days.

You'll note two sailings coming up on the same ship in my signature. Next month we'll be in a balcony cabin since the cost was $35 total per cabin per day over the cheapest alternative which was an OV cabin and to boot we're in a Concierge cabin so will be getting that service level, have a larger cabin and an extra Capt's Club cruise credit. ;)

For our Feb. sailing we are in a highest category inside since the cost of a regular balcony cabin, which is actually has a slightly smaller inside area than what we're in, would have been double or more than $100 per day extra so IMO wasn't worth the extra cost. If the cost differences should go down significantly we will consider paying for an upgrade but with the current availability that is showing this is very unlikely to happen. :(

Do what works for your budget and don't feel guilty. You can still have a wonderful time if you decide not to get the balcony and go with an inside or OV. I know many post here that think the balcony is the only way to go as their personal preference. Sometimes saying it in a manner that you would be wrong in not going this route. Don't fall for it. Sometimes the cost doesn't justify the difference when trying to budget. I've been cruising for 25 years and have been able to do so by being flexible.

Something to note is that you have a February sailing. The odds are the price will go up so I wouldn't wait too long to make the decision. February is prime time in the cruising industry.

My vote is for saving money and booking the least expensive cabin. That is what I did for my Jewel of the Seas port intensive cruise in the Southern Caribbean in September. We were on deck 2 inside, never an issue for us.

Plenty of outdoor public spaces to get your "balcony" time. Deck 5 was always empty and had loungers. One side is for smoking with ashtrays and the other is for nonsmoking.

Didn't have to wait for an elevator to get to our cabin at ports of calls. Getting to and from the ship for port stops is right down the hallway on deck 2.

Balcony cabin is the way to go. In my opinion you get the full cruise experience. The freedom to sit there in private having a beverage or just reading a book. Coming in and out of port is a great time to just be there and watch the sights.

Not to mention, ummm private time at night. :)

Archived