NEW LIVE from the Royal 10/29-1//10

paulmichael

THANK YOU for taking the time to give us your thoughts of the ship. It sounds as if you were very pleased with most everything. :D And this was the cruise that had all of the Chumley's Bears on it too. I wonder how they managed with no aft pool and taking over other areas of the ship since there were so many of them?

Waiting at the airport to go home.:(. This is a gorgeous, very comfortable ship with a crew that is professional and most willing to please. Thank you to the captain for rearranging our itinerary to find the best weather! Thank you to the chefs for providing the best food we have had on any of our 7 Princess cruises. Lots of fun new dining venues, great seating around the ship, comfy mattresses, yummy drinks too! Check out the aft deck on 16, the bar with seafood/sushi on 7, the sundaes at the gelato bar. Lots of chairs on sea days. After the water show in the morning around 11 they shut the water and filled the area with lounges in front of the big screen. MUTS screen is much clearer in clarity and sound. Elevator suggestion - get on even if it is not the direction you want to go. You'll get there eventually! Balconies are small but certainly doable. Showers are a nice size! Dining rooms are so serene and elegant. The tables are all in great positions and so comfortable with the bench seating. Ignore the grumbling. Some just don't like change! We did walkoff because we had a 1030 flight. FYI we got to the airport at 700am!! Have a ball! This is a great ship!

THANK YOU for taking the time to give us your thoughts of the ship. It sounds as if you were very pleased with most everything. :D And this was the cruise that had all of the Chumley's Bears on it too. I wonder how they managed with no aft pool and taking over other areas of the ship since there were so many of them?

Chumley and the fuzzies did just fine by taking over the the Rertreat Pool. Suggestion to Princess...limit them to "CBC Group" and ban the suggestive "bears cuddle better" t-shirts.

So, were the rest of the passengers just fine with that?

We were on the 10/29 and 11/3 cruise. Walked around the Retreat area on both cruises late mornings to take pictures. When we walked around on the 11/3 cruise, there wasn't a large group or hardly anyone there. No one was using the cabanas when we walked through. I did notice that they had the Vista Lounge closed for a private function one evening but don't know for how long.

We were on the 10/29 and 11/3 cruise. Walked around the Retreat area on both cruises late mornings to take pictures. When we walked around on the 11/3 cruise, there wasn't a large group or hardly anyone there. No one was using the cabanas when we walked through. I did notice that they had the Vista Lounge closed for a private function one evening but don't know for how long.

I saw a couple at the gym I go to this week and they too were on both sailings they said they couldn't even get to the Retreat Pool on the second sailing because the group had taken it over. I am LOL because this man complains about everything. I was trying to ask him questions about the ship because I board her Saturday I couldn't get in a word because he kept going on about how the pool was taken over. Glad to see your view wasn't the same.

Except for that he did say he loved everything else about the ship. Now I'm worried I won't because he loved it!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you thank you thank you for including this. I have been leaning towards keeping my booking for an aft cabin and have been waiting with fingers crossed that there would be posts indicating that the soot is not a constant issue.

We were in D731 on the 11/3 and like Billco said, noticed it at the beginning and then not much after. I kept some flip flops by the slider so I wasn't barefoot on the balcony. Our chairs seemed to be moved, so I'm guessing our room steward Freddie was cleaning up back there.

Cruise ships converging on St. Martin

10705091925_f075b17058_c.jpg

I've never experienced so many ships all in one dock area, it was so cool! We had D731 and fellow CCr Mimi was next door, so at the end of the day we must have spent 2 or 3 hours out there on our balconies having a "photo bomb party." So many people were taking pics of the aft of our beautiful ship, so we took it as an opportune time! So if you took a picture, you might see us being silly on the aft.

Then sail away was so cool, all those ships sailing out with lights on.. priceless.

Half full is only 50% full and doesn't do it for us. After 31/2 weeks we have had a good time, but it is doubtful we would book the Royal again.

We found we missed too many of the things we have come to like on other Princess ships that are included on the Royal. The new additions, many of which are nice, just don't fill the glass for us.

Small deck areas with a few loungers did not replace the Promenade.

Vista Lounge chairs stuffed in front of couches makes accessibility difficult.

No chair trays and no side lanes in Princess Theatre.

Skywalk and the fountain are wasted space. I doubt those additions were the result of input on customer surveys.

My new favorite fitness class (TRX) will be on the other ships.

Don't have minutes to list all the less than glass half full items, but I feel the Royal Princess didn't live up to the hype. Maybe that is the problem.

I guess we all have different viewpoints on the ship, our cruise, and our experiences. For me they were mostly positive and rewarding experiences. I spent a lot of time at Crooners, and Tatyana and Neal made sure that MY glass was always FULL! ;) One early evening I strolled over to Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar for a half dozen Oysters ON THE HALF SHELL, and Luis (one of the Crooners waiters) came by with a glass of white wine to go with them! I thought was above and beyond. Sure it was from a bottle of the wine I had bought, but Luis knew what "Winelover" likes ensured it was there! Loved the ship and would go on her again, and would consider the Regal as well. But I'm booked on the Crown next August (Alaska) and am looking forward to being on THAT ship as well! It is what you make it! :D

We are docked in Ft Lauderdale. Glad we have two more cruises because there is still much to see, do, eat and drink. :eek::D:eek:

There is a very large group boarding today so our dining room has been changed. The group will have Allegro has their own Anytime dining. Concerto will be Traditional and Symphony Anytime for everyone not part of the group.

Yesterday both pools were very crowded. Difficult to find a place to sit but by 1 pm folks started to leave. The sun is hot :D

CAREFREEBEE...are you on the port side? We are also midship aft and smelled smoke when we were in FLL last week. Thanks for the heads up on the margaritas!! We have been having our before dinner drinks at Crooners. I love the cucumber lime martinis.

Cheers, Denise

Boy! You can say that again!! Did you see the size of most of those mostly guys? Wasn't that the Chumly's Bears group! Most of them had those t-shirts on that advertised their group, and those lanyard nametags. Phew! Won't get many of those folks on one elevator. But they were a fun and friendly bunch, for sure!! :D

Nice, well-deserved tribute to Dave.

Thanks, Larry!

Norris

Thanks, Norris. I was shouting "DAVE!!" at the time the shutter snapped! I was holding the picture facing the Hyatt port cam for most of the sailaway in the hopes it would be picked up and zoomed in upon. Not sure if that happened, but thanks to Hoosier Dude for his service! :)

Six ships in St. Maarten...OMG!!

Yes! And given the fact that there were a multitude of "souls" onboard EACH of those six ships played a huge role in my decision to just stay aboard and enjoy the Royal even more! Started in Horizon Court for a wonderful breakfast, then wandered around snapping pix of miscellaneous stuff, then down into the Atrium/Piazza area to sample more goodies and a pre-lunch glass of wine, then off to Alfredo's for a Calzone (hmmmm good!), then onto Crooners as soon as it opened. But hey....that sounds like my typical day anyway! :D

I saw a couple at the gym I go to this week and they too were on both sailings they said they couldn't even get to the Retreat Pool on the second sailing because the group had taken it over. I am LOL because this man complains about everything. I was trying to ask him questions about the ship because I board her Saturday I couldn't get in a word because he kept going on about how the pool was taken over. Glad to see your view wasn't the same.

Except for that he did say he loved everything else about the ship. Now I'm worried I won't because he loved it!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the 11/3 sailing and there was a very large group of Chumleys every day in the loungers, pool and hot tubs at the Retreat Pool. What the other poster saw is most certainly not what I experienced. Basically they did take over the area. If a non-Chumley were to go to the Retreat Pool area they would most definitely have felt out of place. It is no wonder I never saw other passengers rent any of the Retreat cabanas. I won't fault the Chumleys, though, as they did nothing wrong and honestly don't know how such a situation can be prevented regardless of who the group is. Perhaps Princess should notify folks of large group bookings in advance so they are better informed before choosing a particular cruise.

And I absolutely loved the ship. I read criticisms people have and honestly do not agree. The Sanctuary is fabulous, the food outstanding, the staff very friendly, the bedding perfect and the on-demand TV awesome. And my kids loved the Pelicans club and especially playing in the fountains by the pool when they were turned on. A five-star cruise in my opinion.

I have a plan....;) Actually, travelling solo helps since I can pretty much call my own shots. Speaking of bars, have those all on the list too. All of them. :D

Dave - I took along your "dining guide" and it was so helpful. By no means did BFF and I visit everywhere, but it certainly was fun to see how many we could check off !! Kay

In all honesty I probably would have LOVED to have been there, as I really enjoy some decent shipspotting. Two years ago in Grand Cayman I was on one of six ships anchored in the harbor and that was pretty cool. :D

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man! :D :D :D

Dave - Thank You so much for capturing and posting. I'll be adding this to my photo album!! Kay

Dave - I took along your "dining guide" and it was so helpful. By no means did BFF and I visit everywhere' date=' but it certainly was fun to see how many we could check off !! Kay[/quote']

Hi Kay!

I'm really glad that you liked the AIS screen grab, and it certainly must have been fun seeing that many ships in port!!! I remember doing the 'Dining Plan' challenge presented to me by Shogun, and hope that you enjoyed as many of the different venues offered aboard as possible. Being on her for two weeks in December will present me more opportunities to be able to sample all of the venues on Royal Princess, as well as making sure I catch all of the entertainment options. Looking forward to it! :D

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man! :D :D :D

Ain't it the truth! To me it's a lot of fun watching all of those ships coming and going into port, maneuvering pierside and then having all of those Sail Away's. The more the merrier! :D

Dining guide? Where do I find this fantastic dining guide of which you speak?

During the 'Everything' thread, Shogun asked me to work up a 'plan' that would allow him to eat in every venue and drink at every bar, all in the course of a 7-night cruise. I don't believe now that Sabatini's is open for lunch, The Crab shack and Fondue's are only available certain nights, and of course all venues won't be to everyone's liking, but this is what I came up with...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38221809&postcount=2105

Dining guide? Where do I find this fantastic dining guide of which you speak?

During the 'Everything' thread, Shogun asked me to work up a 'plan' that would allow him to eat in every venue and drink at every bar, all in the course of a 7-night cruise. I don't believe now that Sabatini's is open for lunch, The Crab Shack and Fondue's are only available certain nights, and of course all venues won't be to everyone's liking, but this is what I came up with...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38221809&postcount=2105

Hi - I formatted the plan/guide into a chart. Hopefully the attachment will work properly for you.

Dining Chart-Dave's list for Shogun.doc

Hi - I formatted the plan/guide into a chart. Hopefully the attachment will work properly for you.

Thank you, thank you!!!!!

I was going to attempt to do this myself but I am computer illiterate and it would have taken me a LONG time!

I just printed out yours to take with us!!!!

Again - thank you, thank you!!!!

:D .... :D .... :D

Thank you, thank you!!!!!

I was going to attempt to do this myself but I am computer illiterate and it would have taken me a LONG time!

I just printed out yours to take with us!!!!

Again - thank you, thank you!!!!

:D .... :D .... :D

Good morning - happy I could help a Michigander - I was in the Midland/Saginaw area for a while between S'ville and Boston.

Bon Voyage and happy dining. :)

Hello,

Thank you, dmwnc1959 for the graphic of the ships arriving in St. Martin. I also enjoy watching the various ships arriving, leaving and maneuvering. It must be because of several naval folks in my family. :)

I had an abbreviate experience with this in 2005, when several different ships were diverted to San Juan, Puerto Rico, when "Tropical Disturbance Alpha" started to form in the Atlantic. We were all lined up and it was fun to watch the parade from our Star Princess Promenade Deck. The only one I can remember right now is the Carnival Victory because she was docked next to us.

It will be fun to have several ships in port in St. Thomas next week. A church friend will be on another mega ship docked at Havensight, while our Royal will be at Crown Bay. We agreed to wave to each other from our respective ships, in theory, as we both have other plans for the day and won't be connecting on land.

I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise!

Lynne