dslr camera - alaska

Mia5025

I need some help! I am going on an Alaskan cruise next july and I have a Canon PowerShot point and shoot camera but I'm looking to upgrade to my first DSLR camera. I think of myself as a pretty good photographer but I don't want to be lugging around a big heavy camera with its lens.

I won a $400 Amazon gift card so I don't want to spend much more then that. And yes I will also be bringing my Point and shoot. I just don't know where to start, there are too many to choose from!

See the other current thread "Help Choosing a DLSR". I would say to go to a camera store (even a big box store with a display) and try them out. In AK I used my 18 - 270mm zoom a lot. Getting the right lens combination might be more important the the camera. Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. will all do the job.

Consider a bridge camera like the Panasonic DMC-FZ200

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ200-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B008MB6ZX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383137238&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+lumix+dmc-fz200

It may fit your specs better than an entry level DSLR.

There's an ongoing fan thread on this board you may want to browse:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

Dave

With all due respect, if $450 is your budget (guessing here) and your target application is Alaska, AND you don't want to lug around a big/heavy camera and lens (with some emphasis on the singularity of that word), why on earth do you want a DSLR, and what do you think you'll get for that price? The whole point of a SLR is the interchangeable lenses, and in my humble opinion Alaska screams "take a broad range of lenses".

Last time we went to Alaska, we took our three cameras and three of our lenses, and rented a camera and three more lenses. We were generally happy with what we took and what we got from it. If you're a good photographer, I really don't think you'll be happy with a $450-500 DSLR setup in Alaska, and you should either consider a P&S or be ready to rent a second "not-so-heavy" lens to round out what you're taking.

Consider a bridge camera like the Panasonic DMC-FZ200

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ200-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B008MB6ZX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383137238&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+lumix+dmc-fz200

It may fit your specs better than an entry level DSLR.

There's an ongoing fan thread on this board you may want to browse:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

Dave

In addition to my DLSR I also carry a bridge camera (Canon SX50 closer to your price range) for when I need that 1100 mm equivalent zoom.

I just purchased a Fuji SL1000. This is my first camera that wasn't a simple little point and shoot. Our kids are off to college and the military in the Spring and that means much much more travel for us and I would like a " nicer" camera. I am in no way a photographer yet but sure do enjoy photography in general. I should have the new camera today and will post some of my test shots. It was very affordable and had a lot of the features I decided I wanted

Good luck...

I think you might be disappointed with a $400 DSLR for Alaska. It’s as much about the reach of your lens as it is the camera and the Panasonic pierces mentioned would give you decent zoom for those wildlife shots and be within your price range. Much better than a DSLR with a kit lens.

A $400 dSLR is a waste of money and the kit lens will not give you the reach you need. Buy either a bridge camera as suggested by others or a 1 generation old used camera (you can get used stuff ffrom Amazon). The only other option would be to used your Amazon certificate for something else and rent a camera.

DON

I bought my DSLR new in a kit with 2 lenses. I didn't like the quality of those lenses, so I sold them and bought different ones within the first month. Since my original purchase, all my "new" camera equipment has been "pre-loved." If you spend some time figuring out what you want and then patiently looking for it, you can find some good buys out there. You have some time before your trip...use it! Put your hands on some cameras and decide if you like the way they work and the way they feel. Don't start buying equipment just because somebody says it's good...it isn't good if you're not comfortable with it and don't use it...it's just another thing to gather dust!

I actually think if you're familiar with and comfortable with the process, eBay is a better site for used equipment than Amazon. You have more control over checking out your seller than you do on Amazon, and eBay will step in if something goes wrong, whereas with Amazon you're more on your own with a private seller. Other good sources for used cameras and lenses are Adorama, B&H, and KEH.

On the last trip, I took a Olympus E-620 with a 14-54mm, 70-300mm and a 1.4 teleconverter that extends the range by a factor of 1.4.

I had purchased the camera with the two kit lenses, and within a year, I'd upgraded to the 14-54mm and the 70-300 for Alaska.

I think if you purchase your kit for $400, you'll be wanting to purchase better lenses soon. On my second trip to Alaska, I made do with the kit lenses. And the kit lenses were a lot lighter than either of my upgrades. My 70-300 + teleconverter was about all I could carry, and my husband held it when I wasn't using it.

I stupidly purchased another E-620 body on eBay, so it was nice to be able to bring both bodies in the field. No worry about changing my lenses in the elements. Also, had a back-up plan if the camera broke. Which happened on our last cruise. I took the Nikon with my 18-200mm, and it stopped working on day 2. I really wished I'd brought the Olympus dual.

The Sony A3000 comes in right at $400 with kit lens. It is technically a mirrorless camera in a dSLR body. It has a 'dSLR' sensor and therefore produces "dSLR" quality photographs, but it uses an electronic viewfinder instead of an optical viewfinder. It is smaller and lighter than traditional dSLRs. For an extra $100, you can get a package that includes a 55-210 zoom lens.

Again, this is going to be smaller and lighter than a traditional dSLR. Photo quality will match traditional dSLR (has the same photo-taking technology). You do make some sacrifices for the bargain price -- the viewfinder and LCD are not ultra-high resolution. You don't get a lot of frills. And focus speed does not match true dSLRs.

But for under $500... it's a pretty good value to get the "dSLR" camera, basic kit lens, plus telephoto zoom.

On the last trip, I took a Olympus E-620 with a 14-54mm, 70-300mm and a 1.4 teleconverter that extends the range by a factor of 1.4.

I had purchased the camera with the two kit lenses, and within a year, I'd upgraded to the 14-54mm and the 70-300 for Alaska.

I think if you purchase your kit for $400, you'll be wanting to purchase better lenses soon. On my second trip to Alaska, I made do with the kit lenses. And the kit lenses were a lot lighter than either of my upgrades. My 70-300 + teleconverter was about all I could carry, and my husband held it when I wasn't using it.

I stupidly purchased another E-620 body on eBay, so it was nice to be able to bring both bodies in the field. No worry about changing my lenses in the elements. Also, had a back-up plan if the camera broke. Which happened on our last cruise. I took the Nikon with my 18-200mm, and it stopped working on day 2. I really wished I'd brought the Olympus dual.

I wanted to add that my nikon plus 18-200mm doesn't work with a teleconverter. But I have had luck using extension tubes for close up work.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

Amazon.ca has a new Canon T3 with kit lens for $299. I don't know if Amazon.com has something similiar but this would fall into the $400 GC budget with room to spare.

"New" in the context that it's not previously owned, but that's a product that's almost three years old. It's been superceded by the SL1, but the next "grade" up (T3i, T4i, T5i) has already produced two new generations so the T3 is essentially two generations old.

I would not recommend buying a two-generations-old DSLR with a kit lens in preparation for an Alaska cruise (and expect it to meet expectations). I'd say the aforementioned budget is much better spent on a more current P&S camera that'll end up being as responsive as a T3 with a much wider range lens.

I'm thinking about getting the nikon D3200. It comes with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens. I will eventually upgrade to a 18-200 or 18-300mm lens.

Have you visited the link I provided about five posts up? Honestly, I'd avoid even buying the 55-200 lens. As a $200 or $250 telephoto zoom lens, I suspect you'll be disappointed with its performance, and you'll never get >$100 if you try to sell it. I'd also recommend a detailed review of all of the reviews on the 18-200/18-300 choices to make sure it'll satisfy what you're after. I wouldn't always consider the 18-x00 lenses an upgrade, except in convenience.