Vantage & Getaway fares scrapped

clivep

Our cruise has come down by £150 per person but we aren't getting a penny as we had a 5% early booking discount which means the current price is the same as what we ended up paying. In effect we didn't even end up with the 5% off as that is what the current price stands at under the new fares.

If you read what it says on P & O's website, it clearly says that (of course) there will still be late deals cheaper than the Saver prices. They are just hoping that the new fares will encourage more early bookings so that there will be fewer late deals on offer. Well, they would hope that, wouldn't they!

Basically, it means no more worthless Price Promise. And now three possible fare categories instead of two!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you read what it says on P & O's website, it clearly says that (of course) there will still be late deals cheaper than the Saver prices. They are just hoping that the new fares will encourage more early bookings so that there will be fewer late deals on offer. Well, they would hope that, wouldn't they!

Basically, it means no more worthless Price Promise. And now three possible fare categories instead of two!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

But at least they won't be released 8 months before sailing! Late deals should mean exactly that...you wait and you take the chance that what you want might not be available...if you're not fussy where you sail to, which ship etc then it might just be worth waiting! Time will tell!

I know this is Cruise CRITIC but really. The lack of any positiveness is disheartening to say the least.

You all moaned about the price promise. Well it has gone.

You all moaned that late bookers seemed to get all the upgrades and that has been removed.

You all wanted early bookers to get the upgrades and they will.

Now I see moaning because you have already booked a vantage fare and are not going to get extra OBC or money back.

And more moaning because there will still be 'late availability' fares. Well of course there are going to be those. But now they are at the bottom of the queue for upgrades.

Give me strength.

They have actually addressed the main areas of concern.

And 3 sets of fares - yes but they are so clear. Pay top notch and get the major benefits including a chance of an upgrade.

Pay a tad less and get a class of cabin and less chance of an upgrade.

Hang on and pay least - but dont expect the huge reductions previously seen.

This is actually more or less what everyone has been asking for.

But P&O - the day you start offering 'late availability' deals about 6 months prior to sailing then expect a torrent of abuse. And rightly so.

Edited by simonpjd

I know this is Cruise CRITIC but really. The lack of any positiveness is disheartening to say the least.

You all moaned that late bookers seemed to get all the upgrades and that has been removed.

Now I see moaning because you have already booked a vantage fare and are not going to get extra OBC or money back.

And more moaning because there will still be 'late availability' fares. Well of course there are going to be those. But now they are at the bottom of the queue for upgrades.

Give me strength.

And 3 sets of fares - yes but they are so clear. Pay top notch and get the major benefits including a chance of an upgrade.

But P&O - the day you start offering 'late availability' deals about 6 months prior to sailing then expect a torrent of abuse. And rightly so.

I'm with you! :)

But at least they won't be released 8 months before sailing! Late deals should mean exactly that...you wait and you take the chance that what you want might not be available...if you're not fussy where you sail to, which ship etc then it might just be worth waiting! Time will tell!

Those (8 months before) are what they are calling 'Early Saver'. As I said, three categories.

Give me strength.

I am not complaining and I do not think anybody else is! People are just confused. There is a difference!

Those (8 months before) are what they are calling 'Early Saver'. As I said, three categories.

But those are different to getaway fares, for a start you only have to pay a deposit and you can amend the booking. Plus they are not on every cruise and the prices aren't as low as getaway fares in most cases.

My TA has confirmed they will bring in savers close to sailing if the ship isn't full,as all cruise lines do, but they will apparently be very restrictive..

A quick question for anyone please -

We booked a vantage Caribbean cruise last Jan, for this coming Jan. Our TA insists that getaway fares were available for us, at that time. I have no proof, but struggle to believe from comments on here, that getaway fares have ever been available 12 months before the sail date. Anyone know the answer?

A quick question for anyone please -

We booked a vantage Caribbean cruise last Jan, for this coming Jan. Our TA insists that getaway fares were available for us, at that time. I have no proof, but struggle to believe from comments on here, that getaway fares have ever been available 12 months before the sail date. Anyone know the answer?

I've been tracking Getaway fares for several months - what a waste of time that's proved to be!

The timing of the change from Getaway fares is such that they've not cancelled any, but have not continued the usual pattern of offering them around 6 months out - i.e to April from now. Around 6 months was the standard; it may have stretched to seven on occasions.

I'd challenge your TA to prove their assertion!

Stuart

Thank you Compton and Wiltonian.

The four of us feel a bit cheated because we booked through the local Thomas Cook TA. When we booked the vantage fare, they absolutely told us that if the fares on our cruise dropped, we would get the difference back. They didn't mention getaway fares at that time - and we had never heard of them. As far as we were concerned, we had a guarantee of the lowest price for the cruise. They seem to be saying we have no comeback because they knew about the getaway price at that time and because of the vantage guarantees, they sold us the best deal.

I believe the TA are simply lieing. I also think many more people have been mislead as well. Not a happy bunny really.

Wiltonian, I think leylander's issue is something different to this (and I do sympathise, leylander!). As his cruise is Jan 14, so before the Select Fare comes in, he won't be eligible for this OBC compensation.

Simonpjd, I am very positive and I must say, I am a very happy bunny. :)

I am very pleased with P&O and the new management for speedily addressing this controversial issue and for coming up with a seemingly much fairer new arrangement without delay.

I am also impressed with them emailing us very promptly about our particular bookings and of course for giving us back the balance if the Select Fair is less than we paid in OBC , as is the case with my 14 day cruise in June.

I am already tasting those cocktails!!!!

Edited by Scriv

Wiltonian, I think leylander's issue is something different to this (and I do sympathise, leylander!). As his cruise is Jan 14, so before the Select Fare comes in, he won't be eligible for this OBC compensation.

Sorry; I'd overlooked that. Very annoying!

Stuart

I'm certainly complaining. I booked under Vantage for which the T&C's state 'The Price Promise applies to Vantage Fares published by P&O Cruises', (note PUBLISHED) there's no mention of price paid and that early booking discounts will be taken into consideration when working out if you are due any extra OBC. The published price for our cruise was £150 PP more than currently showing however we get no extra OBC as we received a 5% discount for booking early.

Yes, that's right. Told if the price of the cruise fell, we would get the difference back. We get nothing at all back. They are "honouring" our £2100 per person price. Identical grades, on the identical cruise, but with getaway fares one month earlier, have reduced by £800 per person. If those kind of reductions happen on our cruise all hell will break out.

Edited by leylander

Vixxygal :

Have you received an email today saying that you do not qualify for extra OBC because of your early discount? I also booked under Vantage and an early booking discount, but I also got OBC today which is on top of any existing discounts or OBC received. I think it depends on the difference between the published old Vantage Price and the published new Select Price... ?

Leylander:

Yes, that rubbish situation comes under the old set up where their reply has always been that your Vantage price has not actually fallen. They argue that the Getaway prices are something different and do not qualify you for the Price Promise compensation. There has been a lot on these boards about this this year and this is what has prompted P&O to address the issue. At least they are addressing the issue. Better late than never I guess. From one who was similarly affected earlier in the year.

Edited by Scriv

Well I must be stupid. I got the email today for my booked cruise October 2014. I fail to see the difference between the current Vantage/Getaway and the new Select/Early Saver? There might be a few new restrictions, but it sounds exactly the same otherwise.

Well I must be stupid. I got the email today for my booked cruise October 2014. I fail to see the difference between the current Vantage/Getaway and the new Select/Early Saver? There might be a few new restrictions, but it sounds exactly the same otherwise.

The difference is that when anyone books now, they will have both prices in front of them. P&O still reserve the right to introduce lower fares nearer to the time though!