Raised Skywalkers?

camarodrivenrs

Are there plans to remove them soon (within the next year) like they did on the Grand Princess?

No plans to remove them from the Golden, Star, or Caribbean. On the Grand steel was used for Skywalkers, and the added weight was causing structrual issues. Lighter weight materials where used on the other ships, so there is need to remove them.

I do wish they would remodel the interiors of all the Skywalkers as the Sci-fi motif has gotten old.

While the majority of Princess ships have a Skywalkers, I believe it's only the Star, Golden and Caribbean that still have the 'shopping cart handle'. I'm looking forward to my upcoming Star Princess cruise to see it as it's been a while since I've been on one of these ships. I like going up to Skywalkers on rainy days to read. It's usually quiet during the day.

The Crown, Emerald, Ruby, Diamond and Sapphire all still have Skywalkers as well but the design of those ships are slightly different so they don't have the shopping cart look that someone mentioned above. It's moved forward somewhat so it doesn't cover the aft pool area. Dave

I really enjoyed the aft pool much more on the Star and Caribbean because of the shopping cart handle when I was on them compared to when I was on the Emerald. I guess the Golden to Hawaii is calling my name. Thanks for the replies.

There are others who seem to like the aft pool much better on the Grand strictly because Skywalker's isn't there anymore. My wife is looking forward to comparing the difference when we're on Grand next May. I don't use the pools so it doesn't make any difference to me.

I really enjoyed the aft pool much more on the Star and Caribbean because of the shopping cart handle when I was on them compared to when I was on the Emerald. I guess the Golden to Hawaii is calling my name. Thanks for the replies.

Ditto. For me, I like the shade by the aft pool.

I will be on the Golden a week from today. Skywalkers is a bar/club right? What is so great about it? Just curious.

Personally, Skywalkers itself is pretty cool because most ship's have their night club buried down on a lower deck while Skywalkers is at the top. I think the ships with the raised one over the aft pool provides a great place to lounge about during the day because of the shade and lack of crowds. It was great on the Star to Alaska, I think I was the only one who used the pool (heated).

Personally, Skywalkers itself is pretty cool because most ship's have their night club buried down on a lower deck while Skywalkers is at the top. I think the ships with the raised one over the aft pool provides a great place to lounge about during the day because of the shade and lack of crowds. It was great on the Star to Alaska, I think I was the only one who used the pool (heated).

Ah. Thanks. I'm sure we'll be using it too.

Great place to sit and relax during the day (don't go there at night!!) also a great place to hold "Meet and Greets"

I will be on the Golden a week from today. Skywalkers is a bar/club right? What is so great about it? Just curious.

The Grand is the only one that has had Skywalker's removed.
Right. All of the other Grand-class ships have Skywalkers. As explained, the Grand's Skywalkers was removed due to heavy materials used and position aft. The next ship, the Golden, was modified with lighter materials and modified location and subsequent ships were modified further. No reason to remove them.

Last spring while on the Star, we ran into a ships' officer and got to talking about this and that and the conversation swung to Skywalkers. Apparently having a raised, aft mounted, Skywalkers makes the ships unstable under certain circumstances. That, he told me, is why they've been removed. He didn't expound on why not all Skywalkers have not been removed.

Great place to sit and relax during the day (don't go there at night!!) also a great place to hold "Meet and Greets"

Yeah. Why would someone ever want to go to a nightclub at night? The bar, the lounge seating, the big dance floor, the lights, the music? Phffft -- who needs it.

Last spring while on the Star, we ran into a ships' officer and got to talking about this and that and the conversation swung to Skywalkers. Apparently having a raised, aft mounted, Skywalkers makes the ships unstable under certain circumstances. That, he told me, is why they've been removed. He didn't expound on why not all Skywalkers have not been removed.
The reason is that, as has been explained, the Grand was the first ship with a Skywalkers and steel and heavy materials were used. Plus, the structure was all the way aft. The Golden and subsequent ships were built with lighter materials and a different configuration. They don't make the ships unstable. If they did, that would be against SOLAS and all of them would be removed.

Most likely the reason is money and lots of it to remove skywalkers when it is configured in the shopping cart handle. The Emerald/Ruby have it moved into the funnel and it is just not the same to me.

At night the view is absolutely fantastic and I love to go up there and just sit and watch. The music is recorded with the lights, dance floor etc which can also be fun. However it is the atmosphere that does it for me.

My wife and I tried to use Skywalkers as a quiet place to read during the day but froze our butts off so it didn't work out. I did hang out there one evening with my son and some younger people he met on board (my wife wasn't feeling well that night) but it was so LOUD that it made me crazy.

The view from Skywalkers, however, was wonderful.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Archived