Disembarkation Trouble in Bayonne

This is just a warning for those who are taking any cruise out of Cape Liberty. Just got in this morning, we were the first group off the ship, there was a mix up with RCI getting the luggage off the ship, some of the white tags which are the first to disembark, came off the ship last making it a horror show to find bags. Also, some of the bags ended up in other colored areas, making the search for them vitually impossible. The dock porters which are not part of RCI, are miserable and unhelping, while the RCI people on the dock were willing to do almost anything to find the bags.

I also just got off today but much later. The whole procedure of getting your bags is a free for all. It was amazing someone wasn't hurt. There is no room to gather your luggage and get away from the crowd. It's just a mob scene. They really have to work on that. Tough way to end a great vacation.

This is just a warning for those who are taking any cruise out of Cape Liberty. Just got in this morning, we were the first group off the ship, there was a mix up with RCI getting the luggage off the ship, some of the white tags which are the first to disembark, came off the ship last making it a horror show to find bags. Also, some of the bags ended up in other colored areas, making the search for them vitually impossible. The dock porters which are not part of RCI, are miserable and unhelping, while the RCI people on the dock were willing to do almost anything to find the bags.

So what's the warning. Apparently somebody scewed up this particular week. We'd have heard about it before if this was an ongoing problem. Didn't have any trouble at all on my Voyager cruise. No need to put worrry in future cruisers from NJ

I guess it changes from week to week. Last year we were on the Voyager out of Cape LIberty and I was amazed at how quickly we got on and then how quick and easy getting off was. We found our suitcases right away and were ni our car and driving away within 15 to 20 mins.

Annieeee

are we allowed to walk off with our luggage? We had done this before, but then in LA we weren't allowed....we would like to walk off with ours, if possible...

Not on cruises out of Bayonne. You have to take a bus between the terminal and the ship. Carryons are a pain let along luggage

I guess it changes from week to week. Last year we were on the Voyager out of Cape LIberty and I was amazed at how quickly we got on and then how quick and easy getting off was. We found our suitcases right away and were ni our car and driving away within 15 to 20 mins.

Annieeee

tsd: I am really sorry that this happened to you. As you said, it's a bad way to end a great cruise vacation. On the other hand, our experience echoes Annieeee's.

Carol

a bus ,we have to get the bus . how far is the parking from the ship? nothing said in doc. about a bus.o well waiting for rush houre to thin out then will head on up.

If you don't have too much luggage, you can pull it from the parking lot to the checkin. We had 2 large suitcases and 2 carryons and did this. Otherwise you'll have to drop off at checkin and then drive around to the parking lot. This way can take some time if you are there when it's really crowded. Parking is right next door to the check in area. After checking in, you'll wait in an air condition area until the ship is ready. Then you'll be shuttled by bus about 1/2 mile to the ship. It's really no big deal. Very fast, lots of busses.

I can not imagine the helpless feeling you had when you find out not all your bags have been set aside for you. That said our family found the experience to be the best ever for us. Our bags were all together, grouped in the proper color and number, and we were in and out in less than five minutes. Our entire length of time from the calling of our color to driving away from the port was under 1/2 hour! Regards all, DMaugle

When we arrived in Bayonne after our cruise, we were in the White group - first off. We could not find one of our bags. After much searching it turned up in the Orange section - all the way across the warehouse.

On the bright side - the employees were more than willing to help find it - and they all had really good attitudes about it too.

Because of the helpful and friendly staff, we weren't really too upset by the mix-up - just really glad to have gotten our last bag.:)

Something was going on this morning - I hope this wasn't normal. This was our first cruise and after they called a few colors - that was it for a long time. Then when they finally callled our color - they ended up calling all other colors. We waited on staircases for over an hour. Possibly something was up with imigration or customs? We just got home about 12:00 after leaving our cabin at 8.

Unfortunately, disfan13, this is fairly typical. It's been our main and constant complaint with RCI since the beginning. They just can't consistently get the luggage and the people off the ship efficiently. Sometimes we breeze off, and we're gone in 15 minutes. Other times, it's been a nightmare.

I personally think it's got a lot to do with how many people are trying to stiff the cruise line for their shipboard account. You know all those names they keep calling all through breakfast? If they can't find them, they hold up the rest of the pax.

Unfortunately, disfan13, this is fairly typical. It's been our main and constant complaint with RCI since the beginning. They just can't consistently get the luggage and the people off the ship efficiently. Sometimes we breeze off, and we're gone in 15 minutes. Other times, it's been a nightmare.

I personally think it's got a lot to do with how many people are trying to stiff the cruise line for their shipboard account. You know all those names they keep calling all through breakfast? If they can't find them, they hold up the rest of the pax.

What does luggage have to do with ship board accounts? If someone hasn't settled up, no one gets off. Still like to know how luggage comes into this. I've never had a complaint with finding my luggage with RCL. In Miami, it's so easy. Just wait untill it comes to you on the belt. The rest of the places you might have to get off your butt and look for it.

Sorry to hear of the bad experience...We were off in the Diamond/Platinum/White Tag group....our group of 6 had all our luggage in under a minute and walked thru customs a moment later. Everything looked organized by color pretty well when we went thru. I do remember a few years ago having my bag put in with the wrong color group. So when I don't find it fairly soon...I check the other color locations.

For leaving out of Bayonne for the first time....i thought it was pretty painless and easy.

I was referring to disfan13's comments about waiting so long to get off the ship:

"This was our first cruise and after they called a few colors - that was it for a long time. Then when they finally callled our color - they ended up calling all other colors. We waited on staircases for over an hour. Possibly something was up with imigration or customs?"

We got in yesterday. There were 10 of us in our group. We had no difficulty getting all of our bags (white tags). We were called and off the ship in the limo by 9:30. Since we were diamond members, we waited in the dining room on deck 5 until our color was called. I thought cruising from NJ was great - no airport hassles!!

We were with tsd... part of a group of 11.

My wife and I found all of our bags, and were ready to go by 9:30am.... since we were all together... we waited for them...

We were finally ready to go by 11:15 or so...

The debarkation needs work.... It was the same way with NCL... in manahattan... so, I haven't seen any different way of doing it.

It was frustrating...

It didn't really take away from the great time we had together. :)

We were with tsd... part of a group of 11.

My wife and I found all of our bags, and were ready to go by 9:30am.... since we were all together... we waited for them...

We were finally ready to go by 11:15 or so...

The debarkation needs work.... It was the same way with NCL... in manahattan... so, I haven't seen any different way of doing it.

It was frustrating...

It didn't really take away from the great time we had together. :)

Yes, we've been waiting for (see below) THAT many years for them to improve things......still waiting... :D :D

Sorry to hear of your luggage problems. I have a question about embarking if anyone out there can help me. We will be driving to Cape Liberty in Sept. and will need luggage tags from the porters as they are not sent anymore as our tickets will be e-tickets. This is my question. When you drop off your luggage from your car, is it a problem to get luggage tags put on your bags and the people waiting to do the same thing as you are they tolerant or is it just a madhouse? Are you given time to take care of placing your tags on your bags. I don't want to be rushed and maybe have our bags sent to the wrong cabin. Would like to hear how You All have made out. I prefer getting my tags in advance so all my luggage is ready to go. What have been your experiences at this Port? Thanks Ike

Archived