Cunard Our fares

glojo

Has anyone else received an email from Cunard explaining these new prices?

I received one telling me it would not effect my cruise and they also sent this link

It will be interesting to see if Travel Agent offer the 'either or' type option when it comes to the perks of Onboard Credit free complimentary parking etc. I am thinking that some might offer more than just the one that Cunard are offering.

I doubt they will,their commission is so low on Cunard and p&o these days they probably can't afford to!
I have no idea about how all this works but by booking our world Cruise through a travel agent agent I have got every perk I would have received going through Cunard, plus what they describe as air or sea miles. The outcome is that I get £3000 off my next cruise\holiday that I book through that company.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but I would definitely recommend shopping around. Oh and I also paid our deposit on my credit card without incurring any charges (yet another perk of this specific agent)

Has anyone else received an email from Cunard explaining these new prices?

I received one telling me it would not effect my cruise and they also sent this link

It will be interesting to see if Travel Agent offer the 'either or' type option when it comes to the perks of Onboard Credit free complimentary parking etc. I am thinking that some might offer more than just the one that Cunard are offering.

Yes, a few of us have as mentioned in the End of Vantage and Getaway Fares thread

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1936702&page=3

We also had the email this morning.

I wonder what sort of incentives (if any) will be given if you book onboard. I will find out later this month.

You don't need to actually book on board to get the OBC. You just need to put down a £50 deposit (in the UK).

The following is from a letter everyone got onboard QM2 13th July cruise.

OBC:-

Sailings of 6-9 days: Inside & Oceanview $100pp. Balcony $150pp. Grills $200pp

Sailings of 10 days or more: Inside & Oceanview $200pp. Balcony $300pp. Grills $400pp.

UK - £50 deposit per person. It is non refundable and non-transferable and must be applied to a booking within 12 months of purchase.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39819038

Edited by Ray66

Don't know if this would be a helpful contribution to the thread, but for our Dec 15 WB crossing, Q6, we poked about for the best OBC offer among TAs past and present. Eventually settled for $1075 for the cabin from an online agency which must remain nameless.

J

Many apologies Ray and there are none so blind as those that can't see for looking. I tried checking that thread to see if there was any mention of this new link and failed miserably even though it was mentioned two hours before I looked!

I found it interesting that when booking a new cruise we now have to agree to what perk we want but there was no option to say I want cabin 12345. (Not that I could see) :eek::rolleyes:;) Instead it gave me the option of the grade of cabin I wanted and then listed four or five cabins within that grade. If the cabin I wanted was within those listed then fine but if not, I am guessing the on-line application is no use?

... I found it interesting that when booking a new cruise we now have to agree to what perk we want but there was no option to say I want cabin 12345. (Not that I could see) :eek::rolleyes:;) Instead it gave me the option of the grade of cabin I wanted and then listed four or five cabins within that grade. If the cabin I wanted was within those listed then fine but if not, I am guessing the on-line application is no use?

Glojo, if you are looking at the booking process on Cunard's web site (cunard.co.uk), you should be offered the option to select a specific cabin if you are booking either a "Vantage" fare or one of the new "Cunard" fares.

As you mentioned, you will typically be offered a list of up to eight available cabins to select from. But you should also see an option that looks like this, where you can select another cabin if it is available.

Stateroom Search
O

If you know the number of the stateroom that you would like to reserve, please enter it here:

[_____]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

Glojo, if you are looking at the booking process on Cunard's web site (cunard.co.uk), you should be offered the option to select a specific cabin if you are booking either a "Vantage" fare or one of the new "Cunard" fares.

As you mentioned, you will typically be offered a list of up to eight available cabins to select from. But you should also see an option that looks like this, where you can select another cabin if it is available.

Stateroom Search
O

If you know the number of the stateroom that you would like to reserve, please enter it here:

[_____]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John.

Hi John,

Thank you very much for that and I simply did not move far enough along and your post is spot on.. I only looked at Section two and gave up. Section 2 being Stateroom Grade. The selection you have kindly highlighted is section five. Stateroom number and dining.

Thank you very much :)

What is interesting is that you cannot get that far unless you agree to their latest smoking policy and has there been any threads regarding that Hot Potato?

Holiday notes

Please read the notes below and tick to indicate understanding and acceptance.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - CHANGE TO SMOKING POLICY ON BOARD

Following feedback from our guests and the result of recent customer service research, smoking will no longer be permitted in staterooms, balconies or public areas but will continue to be permitted in designated areas of the open deck. Electronic cigarettes which do not emit smoke are not permitted in public areas but can be used in staterooms, balconies and designated areas of the open deck. This change has been made for the safety and comfort of our guests. It means that all guests will be able to enjoy full use of their private balconies without the effect of drifting smoke.

We booked july 2013 for our September 2014 cruise, 26 nights, hoping to book where we wanted, which was mid ships port side deck 5, glass fronted balcony. We finished with a metal hull sheltered balcony, forward port side deck 5 that has cost over £4000 each. Now I'm thinking we should have waited until mid 2014 to see what a getaway fare would be, the OBS is only $205 each or take a chance and cancel, lose £1100 deposit and probably save £3000 with a getaway fare. What would others do.

We booked july 2013 for our September 2014 cruise, 26 nights, hoping to book where we wanted, which was mid ships port side deck 5, glass fronted balcony. We finished with a metal hull sheltered balcony, forward port side deck 5 that has cost over £4000 each. Now I'm thinking we should have waited until mid 2014 to see what a getaway fare would be, the OBS is only $205 each or take a chance and cancel, lose £1100 deposit and probably save £3000 with a getaway fare. What would others do.

There will no longer be getaway fares from April 2014..

:;) Instead it gave me the option of the grade of cabin I wanted and then listed four or five cabins within that grade.

You would need to talk with a human. The five cabins offered are certainly not the only ones available. The very best option is to pick the cabin you want, plus I a few alternatives and say you want your choice.

David.

It's interesting that there is no mention of the "price guarantee" or price matching if the fare price falls after booking. That was one of the "big" selling points of the Vantage fare, not that it necessarily ever happened in the UK. They cover themselves on their site by saying "Other promotional fares may be introduced from time to time, but they will be extremely restricted with minimal benefits".

I read the new fares scheme as offering to fulfil your cabin and dining wishes for X pounds, a guarantee cabin and a chance of your dining wishes being fulfilled for a lower percentage of X pounds and finally Cunard reserving their right to offer whatever they want to at whatever price they choose if their marketing strategies with the new fares haven't worked as well as they wanted. It looks similar to the current scheme but with a new name and with a lot of the misleading hype removed. Is it better for the customer? I doubt it. Is it better for Cunard? Maybe, it looks to leave them I exactly the same position which is fair enough to me as they own the ships and so are entitled to do what they like within reason. The passengers recourse is the same as ever, they can choose to buy or not to buy. Simples!

. Is it better for Cunard? Maybe, it looks to leave them I exactly the same position which is fair enough to me as they own the ships and so are entitled to do what they like within reason.

A point that the "I was robbed" complainers probably won't get any more that with the previous price structure.

As with any purchase we should understand the conditions of sale, and the only doubts I have is with bookings with TA's who seem at times to be somewhat vague of just what they are selling.

David.

You are correct, no Getaway fares but highly likely they will offer Saver fares ;)

According to,our TA, saver fares will be introduced at the less than 90 day point, it deemed necessary..stated these will,be very restrictive (whatever that means!) and won't be available on all cruises...I have seen quite a few posts on forums and Facebook pages where people are saying they were going to wait, but the early saver fares are very competitive so they have booked now..

If that is carried through then it is possible that there won't be the vast choice of cruises, ships or cabins available at short notice as there currently is with getaway fares.

Nobody will know until nearer sailing dates just what offers are available..if in a position to wait and not worry about which ship, cabin or where you go it probably won't make much difference to now, it will be interesting to see how it all works out!

Edited by Midsomer Madness

£3000 off what?

David.

:o:oGood question David,

I am assured that when we book our next holiday I will have a £3000 credit with this very large National company.

I MUST emphasis that I am talking about something I have no knowledge of and when booking our cruise the travel agent did her very best to explain that the benefits were dependant on how much a cruise cost. Obviously a World cruise costs more than a five day cruise and I have been assured I have £3000 worth of benefit or £3000 discount off my next holiday. I guess it beats a loyalty perk that is offered by a cruise line but taken with that discount, it certainly makes the next holiday look attractive. No doubt a Google search will point you towards this travel agent that offers both 'air miles' or travel miles along with no surcharge for using a credit card.

I have been told off for posting my email address regarding this issue and am not doing that again :o:o.

With this new system that has replaced the bargain Getaway fares I checked out one cruise and the cheaper option was only offering a £200 discount. Whilst some folks might think this worth while, I am not convinced as the benefits of choosing the exact cabin, the free parking or onboard credit might out trump that £200??

I am also in the corner that believes the cruise industry has too many seats and not enough posteriors. Is the only way these companies are going to fill these berths is to possibly dangle bigger, fatter carrots under our noses that will tempt us to buy the cruise that has the cheapest discount as opposed to the best cruise?

I am prepared to pay for service but am I in the minority and will we see more and more of these discounts? If these cruise lines are not loosing money when selling cabins with 60% or more discounts, then are they overcharging on the advertised price? I have no opinion on this question as I believe that even at the advertised price a cruise today is great value for money compared to prices perhaps twenty years ago.

With even more cruise ships on the horizon that have the ability to carry in excess of 6000 passengers, I can see more and more discounts being offered and possibly a few companies going bankrupt??

It's interesting that there is no mention of the "price guarantee" or price matching if the fare price falls after booking.

Cap'n,

On studying my email, I found this: "Turning to your booking with us in xxxxxx, whilst your cruise departs after the changes to our fares have been made, the Cunard Fare for your cruise has not been reduced at this time. I would like to assure you that the terms and condition of your booking have not changed and your Price Promise continues to be in place for the life of your booking and is now against the Cunard Fare.

In the future, if we lower this fare, we will write to you and offer a benefit equal to the fare reduction."

That appears to say that I still have the benefit of the Price Promise, albeit against the Cunard Fare not the Vantage Fare. If the Cunard Fare drops before I sail, then I will be offered OBC (presumably) to compensate. Have I misread this?

That appears to say that I still have the benefit of the Price Promise, albeit against the Cunard Fare not the Vantage Fare. If the Cunard Fare drops before I sail, then I will be offered OBC (presumably) to compensate. Have I misread this?

No I think you are correct. It will be interesting to see whether the Cunard Fare does come down, something very rare with Vantage.

I'm thinking of marketing a new board game called "Booking with Cunard". A bit like snakes and ladders. Should do a bomb at Christmas.

David.

No I think you are correct. It will be interesting to see whether the Cunard Fare does come down, something very rare with Vantage.

I'm thinking of marketing a new board game called "Booking with Cunard". A bit like snakes and ladders. Should do a bomb at Christmas.

David.

All snakes and no ladders?