Tipping Policy

musicfam

...all by people who think they know exactly how it works.

Just a question...not necessary directed at you, Paul. Am I the only person on Cruise Critic who doesn't give a crap how it works? I just don't see it as any of my business how the cruise lines pay their employees.

Just a question...not necessary directed at you, Paul. Am I the only person on Cruise Critic who doesn't give a crap how it works? I just don't see it as any of my business how the cruise lines pay their employees.

Once my money is taken, I don't really care. I'm more interested in opinions and such, but I genuinely don't care how it is split and view auto tips as sufficient. A token amount for room service, maybe a bit extra for those that go out of their way, but I go onboard with the mindset that the autotips are plenty sufficient and I almost never give it another though.

Am I the only person on Cruise Critic who doesn't give a crap how it works? I just don't see it as any of my business how the cruise lines pay their employees.

No you're absolutely not the only person who doesn't care. I prepay my gratuities and leave it at that. If someone makes my vacation extra special, they in turn get something special.

I don't care how RCI distributes the gratuities. If it's okay with staff (and if they signed contracts, it is okay), it's okay with me.

I wouldn't dream of asking the waitress at my local restaurant what he/she gets paid per hour and how much he/she has to tip out and I wouldn't dream of asking my waiter in the MDR the same question.

Just MHO. But I always seemed to get sucked into these threads. :rolleyes:

No, I'm pretty much the same. That's why I like the automatic gratuities (and before that I would just add the recommended amounts to my SeaPass). I don't have to worry about how the money is distributed - I just know I'm covered.

I find this topic endlessly fascinating. There are so many different perspectives and no truly right or wrong answer. But, in your opinion, which is the better way to do things? (and for brevity, I will use round numbers)

A. Leave Autotips of $12 per person, per day in place; and do no more

B. Remove Autotips, but substitute $14 per person, per day in place; split equally amongst only room steward and main waiter; paid in cash at the end?

I'm genuinely curious to hear your answer and reasoning; I'm not trying to bait you into a fight, I just like to hear what others thoughts and opinions may be.

I'd go with choice C. leave autotips of $12 per person per day in place; and give $2 per person per day to the steward, main, and assistant waiter cash at the end.

I didn't cruise in the old days. Maybe that's why I don't understand the need to hand out envelopes and tip in cash. I just started cruising about 5 years ago. Prepaid gratuities were an option and we took it.

It is obviously important to some people to hand out the envelopes but I just don't understand it. Prepaid gratuities is one less thing to worry about while on vacation and I want to make my vacation as stress free as possible.

I'd go with choice C. leave autotips of $12 per person per day in place; and give $2 per person per day to the steward, main, and assistant waiter cash at the end.

You give 50% more than suggested just because? In your opinion what do you feel these staff members do to justify 50% more? Is it a wait and see policy or you just know you are going to do it. Or is it that you feel that the standard gratuities are too low? Do you feel that anyone that leaves auto-gratuities and hands over not one single dollar to anyone else is right or wrong, or, again, yet another option not listed?

Just to reiterate, this is out of curiosity sake. Like looking at 100 photos of a train wreck instead of just the main cover story picture.

You give 50% more than suggested just because? In your opinion what do you feel these staff members do to justify 50% more? Is it a wait and see policy or you just know you are going to do it. Or is it that you feel that the standard gratuities are too low? Do you feel that anyone that leaves auto-gratuities and hands over not one single dollar to anyone else is right or wrong, or, again, yet another option not listed?

Just to reiterate, this is out of curiosity sake. Like looking at 100 photos of a train wreck instead of just the main cover story picture.

going by your example i would be leaving the same amount as choice b. basically i leave the auto tips alone and tip extra to those deserving. yes i'm sure lots of people leave auto grats and nothing else and thats fine.

We have always traveled with kids.... and I find the room stewards always deserve extra. Our teens cabin is always tidy, and we know our children really well. We choose to leave auto tipping alone, and hand him extra right from the start, then more every few days. Just our preference.

FYI: If you take off the auto-tip, they CANNOT keep the cash!:(

They have to turn it in or face possible termination!:eek:

They have to divide the money anyway...Just sayin'.:p

Seriously?! :eek:

Have we gotten an answer to where this information comes from? :confused:

I'm not trying to start problems, this just seems absurd. I have heard of companies that require all employees to "pool" their tips and I think it's absolute stupidity. :mad: When I was a waitress I got my tips. They were from the customers to ME for MY hard work. I always tipped out the kitchen and bus boys for their support but it was my choice and not required.

Using the same guidelines, children should not be paying the same auto-tip as adults. Parents with two young children are not eating $190 in food a day. I can definitely see parents with children adjusting the auto-tip.

If anything, I think that kids tips should be more expensive than adult tips. They may not eat as much, but they tend to be much more messy in both their stateroom and while eating. And, if they ever go to the kids programs I hope those people get tipped since they are basically babysitting people's kids.

There are people who serve you on the ship, other than your cabin steward, head waiter and assistant waiter. The automatic tips take care of those people who work hard but aren't assigned to specific passengers, such as the buffet attendants. For all the crew members do, twelve dollars a day is real bargain. Try to get that kind of service state side for the same amount of $$. We leave a little extra in envelopes with thank you notes for those who are especially attentive- just because.

Edited by Marelaine

There are people who serve you on the ship, other than your cabin steward, head waiter and assistant waiter. The automatic tips take care of those people who work hard but aren't assigned to specific passengers, such as the buffet attendants. For all the crew members do, twelve dollars a day is real bargain. Try to get that kind of service state side for the same amount of $$. We leave a little extra in envelopes with thank you notes for those who are especially attentive- just because.

On a land vacation in the US, it's not customary to tip these "other" people. Only housekeeping $2-$5 per day and the waiter 10%-20% who serves you. The exception are porters, concierges, butlers who you tip directly only if you use their service and they aren't part of a cruise auto-tipping pool anyway.

People at Dunkin Donuts and Subway work hard too and I'm sure there are "other people" who I never see that work there. They can leave a tip jar out but I ain't tipping them. It's never been never been customary to do so and it's the workers who leave it out asking for a handout. The employer should be paying a fair wage.

Edited by kylenyc

Seriously?! :eek:

Have we gotten an answer to where this information comes from? :confused:

I'm not trying to start problems, this just seems absurd. I have heard of companies that require all employees to "pool" their tips and I think it's absolute stupidity. :mad: When I was a waitress I got my tips. They were from the customers to ME for MY hard work. I always tipped out the kitchen and bus boys for their support but it was my choice and not required.

This is a great post!

We have always traveled with kids.... and I find the room stewards always deserve extra. Our teens cabin is always tidy, and we know our children really well. We choose to leave auto tipping alone, and hand him extra right from the start, then more every few days. Just our preference.

good service deserves a little extra.

I thought that the definition of a tip was "reward for good service." When the tip is guaranteed to the workers, why is it not a salary?

You are right my friend,how can they take your money and call it a tip.They only pay their people Fifty dollars a month .Just prepaid two hundred and forty Dollars for so called gratuities.Paid in full when it comes to tips.Will enjoy my cruise with no further thoughts of Tipping. :)

On a land vacation in the US, it's not customary to tip these "other" people. Only housekeeping $2-$5 per day and the waiter 10%-20% who serves you. The exception are porters, concierges, butlers who you tip directly only if you use their service and they aren't part of a cruise auto-tipping pool anyway.

People at Dunkin Donuts and Subway work hard too and I'm sure there are "other people" who I never see that work there. They can leave a tip jar out but I ain't tipping them. It's never been never been customary to do so and it's the workers who leave it out asking for a handout. The employer should be paying a fair wage.[/QUOT

People at Dunking Donuts and Subway, in the U.S, make minimum wage. Not so on a ship - if they did, the cruise lines would raise the cost of the cruises to make up the difference in pay.

On a land vacation People at Dunking Donuts and Subway, in the U.S, make minimum wage. Not so on a ship - if they did, the cruise lines would raise the cost of the cruises to make up the difference in pay.

And yet it's still not customary to tip anyone but housekeeping and the waiter who serves you. Just like it's not customary to tip all these other people "Dining Services, Stateroom Attendant, Other Housekeeping Personnel".

Stateroom attendant, yes. Waiter, yes. All these other people. No.

I don't know if I agree with that. We all automatically assume that we are going to get good service. I would say that excellent service deserves a little extra.

Good or excellent wording is all in the eye of the beholder. If the service is over and above normal expectations then reward.

People at Dunkin Donuts and Subway work hard too and I'm sure there are "other people" who I never see that work there. They can leave a tip jar out but I ain't tipping them. It's never been never been customary to do so and it's the workers who leave it out asking for a handout. The employer should be paying a fair wage.

Maybe the employer (cruiseline) SHOULD be paying a fair wage but they do not. If they did, then your cruise fare would be a lot more - sort of a pay now or pay later deal. It's the cruise culture and has been for many, many years. If you don't like it, I suggest you find a form of vacationing that suits you better. Kids? Heck, most of them should be paying double.

Did you ever stop to think Royal Caribbean should pay them more then Fifty Dollars a month.Twenty four Dollars a day is a great tip.:confused:

Did you ever stop to think Royal Caribbean should pay them more then Fifty Dollars a month.Twenty four Dollars a day is a great tip.:confused:

Huh? That's a nice tip for one person, BUT it is distributed amongst many, so no individual is getting that amount. If you were staying in a resort on land and eating out three meals a day plus tipping housekeeping, what do you think that would run for tips (assuming you are eating in a decent restaurant not fast food).