so dissapointed...(upsell)

hmorrow

My travel agent just called with the "upsell" I had been waiting for- from a guarantee VD to an SS for only 199 pp. We said yes right away and when he call HAL they told him it was too late- they were all sold out. We're on the wait list in case an SS cancels. BOO HOO

This is for the 11/17 sailing on the NA. Maybe one will cancel????

Hope so for our sake!

Helaine

Edited by hmorrow

My travel agent just called with the "upsell" I had been waiting for- from a guarantee VD to an SS for only 199 pp. We said yes right away and when he call HAL they told him it was too late- they were all sold out. We're on the wait list in case an SS cancels. BOO HOO

Hope so for our sake!

Helaine

I've read of that happening so many times. Everyone in a "V" guarantee cabin probably got that offer. If you are not sitting at the computer with your phone at your side when the e:mail comes in - you end up being too late. Crossing my fingers you get another chance for the SS.

Edited by Linda&Vern

We were just offered an upsell on the N A at noon today for the 11/17-12/1 sailing for $349.00 per person. We gave up our SS6099 so maybe you should call now. We now have SB 6100. Hope this was a good offer. Hubby may not be too happy but wanted to try the Neptune Suite. What do you cruise critic experts think?

They also offered us the Neptune Suite for 449 pp. I was happy with the 199, but not sure I want to spend almost 1000 more....It's probably too late for it, also.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that one comes available.(ss) Anything can happen in 2 weeks!

Helaine

Edited by hmorrow

Next time, let your TA know what price you are willing to pay so she can grab it right away.

That's exactly what I do. Decide on a price and give my TA permission to accept if an upsell offer comes in at that price (or lower). If the offer is higher, she will call and I will decide then.

OP, hope you get another call.

Hope so for our sake!

Helaine

You never know. We had moved into an SS, and after lunch our steward informed us that we had been moved to an SA. Apparently one party could not complete the 2nd half of his collector cruise and vacated the cabin. No charge.

We missed out on a nice upsell a few years back when our TA was out of town when the offer came in [and we weren't made aware of it until it had expired]. As a result of that experience, we now book directly with HAL. Yes, we could leave a price with a TA, but we also care a lot about the location of a cabin--not just the category or cost. We book a specific cabin # and ask to be called about upgrades but to not be automatically upgraded without our prior approval.

Since using HAL for the booking, we've been offered very reasonable upsells on nearly every subsequent cruise we've taken.

When HAL calls me, I open my browser to the ship deck plan and ask about which cabins are available for the upgrade. In one instance, although the offer price was excellent, the cabins available were less desirable because of overhead noise, among other reasons.

I like having such a high level of control--as I'd rather kick myself if I make the wrong choice.

Your TA is the person to blame.

If he/she would have taken the offer right away, you'd be in business.

Better luck next time.

The TA can't accept the offer without asking the client first, unless the client has already told the TA how much of an offer they would accept. So no, the TA is not the person to blame. Speed is of the essence when it comes to upsells.

The TA can't accept the offer without asking the client first, unless the client has already told the TA how much of an offer they would accept. So no, the TA is not the person to blame. Speed is of the essence when it comes to upsells.

Exactly. I had an upsell offer...our TA left a message on my phone...we weren't here...called her back a while later but the upsell was gone. Just the luck of the draw...certainly not her fault.

OHCruiser - You just answered the question I was about to ask. If upsells come to those who book directly with HAL as often as those that book through a TA. Cherie

You'll have TA's say it's not true but in my experience it's way more likely to happen when booking thru Hal.

We did not book directly with HAL and were still offered the upsell..............I'd love to get the SS, but I'll be happy to be on a cruise and I'll still have a balcony............Helaine

(but I do hope we're lucky enough to get that second chance!)

We did not book directly with HAL and were still offered the upsell..............I'd love to get the SS, but I'll be happy to be on a cruise and I'll still have a balcony............Helaine

(but I do hope we're lucky enough to get that second chance!)

I'm just curious about how this works. Did your TA receive a phone call, email, or fax from HAL with the Upsell Offer?

He said he received an email from HAL at noon

He called us around 2pm and then called them back to secure it and they were all already sold out

H

Edited by hmorrow

This is why we no longer use a TA but book directly with HAL. Our TA missed the email and we came very close to losing out on an attractive upsell from an SS to an SA because she didn't check email regularly.

On our next cruise, booked directly with HAL, I was on the phone to them within moments of receiving the upsell email and booked an SA across the hall from the Neptune Suite at an attractive price.

Our only loss in switching from the TA to our HAL PCC is that we no longer receive the photo album our TA gave us for our first two cruises. But then, who has used a photo album in recent years? :)

I book with a HAL PCC, but my upsell offers have come by email directly from HAL. I'd guess HAL sends the upsell offers for the selected passengers at the same time. If so, the TAs would receive the offers at the same time as passengers booked with HAL.

He said he received an email from HAL at noon

He called us around 2pm and then called them back to secure it and they were all already sold out

H

In that case, your TA carries some blame. Mine starts looking for me immediately - by cell phone, home phone and email - as soon as an offer comes in. They are snapped up very quickly, and sometimes even when I've given the go-ahead right away, it's too late by the time she calls them back. So now I give her a figure ahead of time so she can act quickly. She knows what we will or won't accept as to location.

So I just checked the HAL website and we have a room!

Right under the Canaletto restaurant( MUCH better than under the pool area)

I hate being under the lido deck and this is why I usually don't book a guarantee......

I know this is a nice upgrade from a vd guarantee- hopefully it's carpeted and won't be noisy

Does anyone have information on 8111?

Helaine