Royal Princess. The budget ship.

antsp

I'm confused. :confused:

Was the ship beautiful and the food good or service slow and the pools small?

Did they say they liked it or didn't?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

They were only on the ship for a few hours for the BVE so they really can't say whether they liked it or not. They commented that the food for lunch in the MDR was very good but the service was slow. They actually said that they left half way through lunch and went to the buffet. They commented that the pools looked too small for the size of the ship. We just got back from picking up my SIL and family and she commented that she would only sail on the Royal if it was an itinerary that they wanted. She had issues with the children's club. They combined the the pelicans with the shock waves and as a result my 12 yr old niece wouldn't go because she didn't want to be in the same group as her 5 yr old brother. She had a good cruise but there were issues. She said she will be writing a review for CC .

Edited by Iamcruzin

Friends of ours just left our house following a five hour visit. They got off the Royal this morning following their 12 day cruise; a five and a seven. They loved every minute of it; i.e. food, entertainment, HC, Princess Live, etc. Yes, these are experienced Princess cruisers and they could find nothing wrong with the ship. (including the toilet paper location). We couldn't either after 30 days.

Bottom line is: the complainers will always complain, even if there's nothing to complain about. They will always find something about which to nitpick. We OTOH, just go with the flow. Slow elevators? So what? What's the rush anyway? Smaller balcony? So what? It's big enough for us.

Just remembered something. Our friends boarded with wine in their carryons. Nobody looked or cared and there was no table scrutinizing anyone.

Edited by Pia1913

I don't think this is true. I think that a couple of years ago, Princess saw that RCCL had introduced some potentially game-changing "Big Girls" that were garnering a disproportionate amount of industry buzz and they wanted in on the action. They knew (or thought) that they could not catch anyone's eye by simply building a Grand Class ship with some technological upgrades, so they opted for a whole new build. Problem was, much of what was "special" or unique about the Oasis Class ships wasn't really compatible with the Princess brand. Such as inward facing balconies, Central Park. Zip lines. Wave riders. Stuff like that. So in an industry where copying is the sincerest form of flattery, (and the surest way to compete head-to-head), Princess was stuck. It tried to build a larger, grander ship to capture some of the Oasis buzz, yet keep it grounded in the Princess tradition. What they ended up with was a controversial compromise. Many of the features are spectacular and some technological upgrades are noteworthy. But at the same time, the new platform stripped the ship of many things that made Princess Princess.

Was this the "best" ship that management could have created? I don't think so. I think that the "best" ship would have been a new ship based on the Grand platform, but with the stylized look of Royal and the technological upgrades to boot. But while that might have been a godsend to loyal Princess customers, it would probably have been met with a shrug of the shoulders by the industry as a whole and largely ignored by window shoppers whose eyes were being drawn to RCCL, (and to Breakaway). While Princess cruisers may have loved that concept, there would have been cries of "stale", "boring" and unimaginative from other corners. So I think that Princess management aimed for the most impactful ship. Not necessarily the "best" ship. Many times, corporations compromise for the purpose of buzz. It's a risky strategy, and sometimes it works.

Well thought out post.

It sure doesn't seem that Carnival Corp devotes the same resources or has as talented a ship design team as Royal Caribbean International does. Other than the QM2 from 10 years ago, I can't think of one ship design from this group that had a overwhelming wow factor. Conversely, the Solstice class from Celebrity and the Freedom and Oasis classes from RCCL have been big hits.

There are plenty of first-hand accounts from people who have sailed on the ship, so perhaps you would be less frustrated reading those reviews. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=400

Here are the titles of the most recent 11 reviews from actual passengers.

A Disappointing Royal

• Fabulous Cruise on the Royal Princess

• Simply Princess, Nice But not Extraordinary

• Very Disappointed in New Ship

• No more Royal Princess

• Royal Princess somewhat disappointing!

• Badly Designed Ship; will not sail this class of ship again.

• Love the Royal

• Complete disappointment

• For The Most Part an Enjoyable Cruise

• Who Designed This Ship?

Complaining about people who complain won't make the complaints go away.

I don't post a CC review but instead on the CC board to exchange thoughts with others & to answer questions. It seems that positive reviews are ignored from those of us who have sailed on the Royal (18 days) while negatives ones become the "valid" ones.

As I said in my review & in posts, the Royal will not be for everyone. Unfortunately it's the "squeaky wheels" negative posts that some feel are more credible to prove their point that the Royal is a big mistake & so many things are terrible.

Not to me & many of the experienced Princess cruisers I met on the Royal. There are many more positives than negatives & we'd sail her again if the itinerary & price are right.

Friends of ours just left our house following a five hour visit. They got off the Royal this morning following their 12 day cruise; a five and a seven. They loved every minute of it; i.e. food, entertainment, HC, Princess Live, etc. Yes, these are experienced Princess cruisers and they could find nothing wrong with the ship. (including the toilet paper location). We couldn't either after 30 days.

Bottom line is: the complainers will always complain, even if there's nothing to complain about. They will always find something about which to nitpick. We OTOH, just go with the flow. Slow elevators? So what? What's the rush anyway? Smaller balcony? So what? It's big enough for us.

Just remembered something. Our friends boarded with wine in their carryons. Nobody looked or cared and there was no table scrutinizing anyone.

AMEN!!! Although those who are convinced the Royal is a "big mistake" & "terrible" will ignore it...even those who have never sailed on her like us & who enjoyed our cruise. :D

AMEN!!! Although those who are convinced the Royal is a "big mistake" & "terrible" will ignore it...even those who have never sailed on her like us & who enjoyed our cruise. :D

Set my alarm to get up mid-sleep this afternoon just to watch Royal Princess and a friend aboard sail away. Heard the horn, got some 'live' email commentary and pictures from my good friend who, as a very experienced cruiser, so far loves the ship despite some of the changes.

Nothing can wipe the smile off my face now. :D

3 weeks and counting! YEAH! :D:D:D

No more 'negativity' in my diet. ;)

Back to sleep for the midnight shift...

I don't post a CC review but instead on the CC board to exchange thoughts with others & to answer questions. It seems that positive reviews are ignored from those of us who have sailed on the Royal (18 days) while negatives ones become the "valid" ones.

As I said in my review & in posts, the Royal will not be for everyone. Unfortunately it's the "squeaky wheels" negative posts that some feel are more credible to prove their point that the Royal is a big mistake & so many things are terrible.

Not to me & many of the experienced Princess cruisers I met on the Royal. There are many more positives than negatives & we'd sail her again if the itinerary & price are right.

Astro.....I read every post and review thats out there from those that have sailed on her and I am still going to sail the Royal. :D:D

Astro.....I read every post and review thats out there from those that have sailed on her and I am still going to sail the Royal. :D:D

Like you, I've read most of the reviews/threads on the Royal and have decided to see for myself. Just booked the Regal for a Med cruise in June. I look at this as a new adventure...first time to the Med and on a new Princess ship. Live is good and we can't wait :) :)

That's the best way to have an opinion on any ship. :D

There are plenty of first-hand accounts from people who have sailed on the ship, so perhaps you would be less frustrated reading those reviews. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=400

Here are the titles of the most recent 11 reviews from actual passengers.

A Disappointing Royal

• Fabulous Cruise on the Royal Princess

• Simply Princess, Nice But not Extraordinary

• Very Disappointed in New Ship

• No more Royal Princess

• Royal Princess somewhat disappointing!

• Badly Designed Ship; will not sail this class of ship again.

• Love the Royal

• Complete disappointment

• For The Most Part an Enjoyable Cruise

• Who Designed This Ship?

Complaining about people who complain won't make the complaints go away.

My review, with the exception of the bar service, the HC food, and my cabin, was for the most part positive. The issues I had with my cabin (OS suite) did make me judge overall rather harshly at first, but after I calmed down, I did enjoy the cruise. I don't consider myself, as some have stated here on CC, to be a constant complainer. I just didn't like my cabin. If I sail on the Royal/Regal in the future and am lucky enough to be able to afford a suite, it will be a PH and not an OS. I visited one right before I got off the ship and I really like the layout. I do respect other opinions regarding the positives on the Royal, I would hope that those same people would appreciate a differing opinion when someone posts things they were unhappy about.

I also agree that a slew of negatives from people who have yet to sail on the Royal don't really hold much weight, at least with me, as those opinions from cruisers who actually have sailed her.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

That's the best way to have an opinion on any ship. :D

Thanks! Life is too short and I'm not getting any younger. I've been telling my daughter all the negatives that have been reported ie: promenade, small balconies (we're all doing insides, also a first), no central stairs, etc. Her reply was that she didn't care. She's just as happy to be going as I am!

I also agree that a slew of negatives from people who have yet to sail on the Royal don't really hold much weight, at least with me, as those opinions from cruisers who actually have sailed her.....:):):)

Bob

Bob, I went through your photos today and loved them, especially Venice and the shots of the Royal. Thanks!

My review, with the exception of the bar service, the HC food, and my cabin, was for the most part positive. The issues I had with my cabin (OS suite) did make me judge overall rather harshly at first, but after I calmed down, I did enjoy the cruise. I don't consider myself, as some have stated here on CC, to be a constant complainer. I just didn't like my cabin. If I sail on the Royal/Regal in the future and am lucky enough to be able to afford a suite, it will be a PH and not an OS. I visited one right before I got off the ship and I really like the layout. I do respect other opinions regarding the positives on the Royal, I would hope that those same people would appreciate a differing opinion when someone posts things they were unhappy about.

Bob

Thanks for this post Bob. While I agree, I would feel the same way about your suite, glad for the most part you had a great cruise on the Royal. Way some insist to pick it apart is beyond me....but hey, too each their own:)

It's been a VERY long time since we've (Princess fans) have had a truly new class of ship. The Caribbean, Crown/Emerald/Ruby were nice close-in variations of the Grand Class. The last really new class we had were the Coral/Island. These are fairly close-in evolutions of the Sun Class and while the Coral was delivered late, were largely well received. I suggest some folks go back and read the earliest feedback on the Grand, if it's still available. Many, many of the regulars on this board (some of whom arent with us any more, some who've simply stopped posting because they can't take it) weren't in love.

The "issues" with the Royal are, frankly. in the eye of the beholder. Experienced cruisers know what's important to them and can weigh the feedback of others accordingly. I have enough patience to wait for an elevator or enough energy to walk to the nearest staircase, I don't spend tons of time on the Promenade even though I enjoy it, I've experienced smaller balconies on previous Princess ships (Sun class, and old Crown/Regal) and survived and enjoyed them - even had my first balcony dining on them and know that it's possible and enjoyable. I can take TP off a spindle and put it anywhere I need it to be. I don't go to the theater. Or Explorer's Lounge.

I'm pretty sure, that just like every other Princess cruise I've taken, I am going to have a fantastic cruise on the Royal at Christmas. I already know the biggest downside will be sailing at the holidays and the atypical passenger load. So be it. I will be exactly where I want to be...escaping completely. And hopefully dozing in the Sanctuary.