Cabin question on June Russia/Scandinavia cruise

Taxman2001

My family is scheduled to sail on the june 2014 celebrity ship to Scandinavia and Russia. We are unsure whether a veranda cabin is worth the cost due to the weather in Russia and Scandinavia in June. Anyone who has advice or experience with this itinerary this time of year would be greatly appreciated.

We cruised the Baltic in early July, had some great weather. I would say that it just depends on your budget, but the balcony definitely makes your room seem larger and is great for standing out there for sail in/sail out even if you don't spend a lot of time sitting out there during the day. I would take a veranda any time if it is within your budget.

We cruised this summer on the Eclipse to the Baltics. The weather was wonderful. It was port intensive but we loved our balcony in the evenings for a glass of wine before dinner. The sail in to many of the ports in the early am are beautiful in your robe and a coffee on your balcony!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My family is scheduled to sail on the june 2014 celebrity ship to Scandinavia and Russia. We are unsure whether a veranda cabin is worth the cost due to the weather in Russia and Scandinavia in June. Anyone who has advice or experience with this itinerary this time of year would be greatly appreciated.

Are you in early or later June? We are in the latter part, have a balcony on the hump, and heard the weather can be warm, especially in Russia with no air-conditioning…I don't know if there is a definitive answer. Also, the prices have been going up rather steadily, and just started to drop a little. We booked onboard another cruise last May/June and can't believe the prices now, so are glad they are going down…:eek: Hope you got in at a good price, and hope for all of us that the weather is as good as it gets! What does your gut tell you????

Edited by Lastdance

We are set to sail from Amsterdam on June 2. The budget is not really an issue, but our concern is that it would be too cold to spend time on the balcony and it would a waste of money.

We traveled last August to the Adriatic on Celebrity and it was very hot. As I like the heat, the balcony was great that time.

I hope we got a good deal. We got 15% off for my wife and I. My daughter has to pay full price b/c she is not a Captain's Club member due to her age.

I'm cruising to the Baltics out of Amsterdam even earlier (May 21st) and decided to fore go the balcony because pricing is do-able but is never a non-issue. Additionally, because the weather is really a coin toss during that time I would hate to have torrential rain the entire time rendering it useless. I'll let you know whether or not it was the right decision come June 3rd ;)

When we did it in May, we had great weather and made very good use of our veranda every day.

Cruising through the Stockholm archipelago, enjoying a leisurely breakfast on our balcony that morning was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Sure you can do it without a veranda if you must, and it is a wonderful itinerary however you do it, but we felt that having the veranda enhanced our enjoyment of the cruise.

Our first cruise was to the Baltic in June [in 2006]. We started from Dover in a heatwave but outran the weather. By the time we were in Stockholm, it was very cold, damp and windy. It was the National Day and much was closed until later. It was a miserable morning. Our first morning in St Petersburg was almost as miserable. By lunchtime, the heatwave had caught up with us. The next day, a huge number of people decided to skipped their tours and just enjoy the sun on board. By Rostock, it was 40 degrees and rising at 11am. Many people on board became sick because of the heat and the air quality and, by Oslo, the medical centre was overworked. We arrived back in Dover to good but not excessive June temperatures.

We used our balcony a little but it is a port intensive cruise and, although we do not do long tours when we cruise, even we did not use it a lot. It was nice to sit out on our balcony after dinner from Russia onwards, though. There were also some lovely arrivals/sailaway views that we would have missed if we did not have a balcony.

Sue

When I did the Scandinavia/Russia cruise [aboard Eclipse; round-trip from Southampton] in 2010, the weather was often quite hot [records in St. Petersburg] while ashore [and for us, dry] but always very pleasant while sailing between ports/when at sea... Weather is a craps shoot...

Even after factoring in our overnight stay in St. Petersburg and our late sail-away times in Warnemunde [for Berlin] and Copenhagen [you should review the specifics of your itinerary], I think that I may have used my verandah more on the Baltics cruise than I have on any other...

Having sailed from 26 June through 10 July, I did the trip during the latter part of "White Nights" when the sun at many of our destinations didn't set until 11:00 PM or later... As such, it was not uncommon for me to have dinner, take in the show, and still--after long days of touring; it can be a rigorous trip if you plan to take it all in--spend an hour or so relaxing on the balcony and watching the world pass by before bedtime... Depending upon your personal travel style/preferences, your mileage may vary...

As another poster mentioned--and you need not have a verandah to do so though it is more convenient--don't miss the sail-in and/or sail-out at Stockholm... It's very scenic/memorable...

Great choice; enjoy!

When we did it in May, we had great weather and made very good use of our veranda every day.

Cruising through the Stockholm archipelago, enjoying a leisurely breakfast on our balcony that morning was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Sure you can do it without a veranda if you must, and it is a wonderful itinerary however you do it, but we felt that having the veranda enhanced our enjoyment of the cruise.

I'm cruising to the Baltics out of Amsterdam even earlier (May 21st) and decided to fore go the balcony because pricing is do-able but is never a non-issue. Additionally, because the weather is really a coin toss during that time I would hate to have torrential rain the entire time rendering it useless. I'll let you know whether or not it was the right decision come June 3rd ;)

We book verandas to have a larger stateroom and more light coming in the cabin. On port intensive cruises, we rarely use our veranda, but it is nice to have. We run out and check the weather, see the sights during port approaches, gaze at the stars before bed, or just have some fresh air entering the cabin. On warm mornings, we have breakfast on the veranda. :) We think the price difference is well worth it!

Edited by Iamthesea

We were on the Constellation this year out of Amsterdam, leaving on 1 June. The weather was fantastic - the only problem is there is not enough time to get out there!

Beryl

have to agree. We did a B2B TA/Baltic's cruise a couple of years ago. We had a balcony for the TA and switched to an inside for the Baltic portion because it is so port intensive and the price was significantly cheaper. We didn't miss the balcony because we were so busy in port. The other nice thing was it was a cabin down low so when we came in from tours we could walk to our cabin and not have to wait on an elevator. The money we saved paid for some tours.

Tucker in Texas