What to do..with your child in Blu ?

dcarter4

If necessary, you can just use the very easy work around that is done all the time.

Book one of the adults as a single in the second cabin, book the daughter in with the other adult, and switch cabins once you are on the ship.

Not a problem at all and nobody will care.

Yes, except that the single adult's sea pass will open the door to their assigned cabin and not the shared cabin. And if thinking about swapping cards with the child seems as if not only is the picture linked to the card minors are identified on the cards so no drinking for the swapping adult.

My kids started staying in adjacent cabins when they were 14ds and 10dd.

My now 15 year old dd prefers Blu to the mdr.

Yes, except that the single adult's sea pass will open the door to their assigned cabin and not the shared cabin. And if thinking about swapping cards with the child seems as if not only is the picture linked to the card minors are identified on the cards so no drinking for the swapping adult.

My kids started staying in adjacent cabins when they were 14ds and 10dd.

My now 15 year old dd prefers Blu to the mdr.

Go to guest services, say we want to swap cabins and they will reassign the card access as required. We have done this with teenagers as young as 15. So long as you are in adjacent or even opposite cabins the ships don't have a problem.

Edited by gek

Wow, it looks like some are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. :D

When you do it the quickest and easiest way, there is no explanation necessary, no swapping cards, no concerns about your picture or account or drinking privileges or anything else.

You just go to Guest Relations and request extra room key cards for your cabin.

The adult who is booked in the other cabin does the same.

We do this when we cruise with our children, as well as with friends or other family members.

Lots of times one couple will book a suite or cabin with an extra large balcony and get extra room key cards for the others so they all can have access to the balcony.

The new cards are room keys that open the door to the cabin, period.

They have no names linked to them, no photos, no charging privileges or anything else.

All of you still use your original, official seapass card for all those other purposes, as well as for getting off and back on the ship each time.

When you do it this way, the new room key cards are like giving someone else an extra key to your house.

It does not give them the title to your house but only lets them open the door.

As to where someone else's child should sleep, at what age that child is responsible and savvy enough to have his or her own cabin, and how far away it may be, that is entirely up to the parents.

I would not be so presumptuous as to try to make that determination for a teenager I do not know and have never even met.

Wow, it looks like some are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. :D

When you do it the quickest and easiest way, there is no explanation necessary, no swapping cards, no concerns about your picture or account or drinking privileges or anything else.

You just go to Guest Relations and request extra room key cards for your cabin.

The adult who is booked in the other cabin does the same.

We do this when we cruise with our children, as well as with friends or other family members.

Lots of times one couple will book a suite or cabin with an extra large balcony and get extra room key cards for the others so they all can have access to the balcony.

The new cards are room keys that open the door to the cabin, period.

They have no names linked to them, no photos, no charging privileges or anything else.

All of you still use your original, official seapass card for all those other purposes, as well as for getting off and back on the ship each time.

When you do it this way, the new room key cards are like giving someone else an extra key to your house.

It does not give them the title to your house but only lets them open the door.

As to where someone else's child should sleep, at what age that child is responsible and savvy enough to have his or her own cabin, and how far away it may be, that is entirely up to the parents.

I would not be so presumptuous as to try to make that determination for a teenager I do not know and have never even met.

Why go to all that trouble, just book them where they are going to be....It's allowed so why not do it.

Even if they allow the teenager to be booked alone in a "nearby" room, she still needs to be in an Aqua Class room. All Aqua class rooms are balconies; there are no interiors. So even if the 16 YO could be booked "alone" she is going to pay a single supplement (essentially two balcony Aqua Class fares) for the right to eat in Blu.

This would be FAR more expensive than booking a single non-Aqua Class balcony room and putting the teen alone (with single supplement) in an interior. It's 4 AQ balcony fares vs. 2 balcony fares plus 2 interior fares. I think the biggest problem here is Aqua Class itself---book a regular room and spend the thousands you save on specialty dining.

Hey All....OP here!

GREAT responses here!! Thanks so much!!

I was out of town...so sorry for the delay!

Blu on our Wedding night is the choice over a Specialty spot for one reason.....some cheap relatives!!

Yes...believe it or not...some of my relations would balk at the $ 35 fee for the TG or other spot...on our wedding night!!

We are going to look into putting her next to us. We are also holding our hope that one of Kel's friends might join us (as a single). If she can go, she would love to bunk with our child!!

Otherwise....this gets interesting.....

Dwayne

Hey All....OP here!

GREAT responses here!! Thanks so much!!

I was out of town...so sorry for the delay!

Blu on our Wedding night is the choice over a Specialty spot for one reason.....some cheap relatives!!

Yes...believe it or not...some of my relations would balk at the $ 35 fee for the TG or other spot...on our wedding night!!

We are going to look into putting her next to us. We are also holding our hope that one of Kel's friends might join us (as a single). If she can go, she would love to bunk with our child!!

Dwayne

Thanks for coming back. Your relatives are too cheap to eat in TG which believe me I understand but they sprung for an Aqua class cabin or a suite. Those are the only two categories of cabin who can eat in Blu.

Hey All....OP

Yes...believe it or not...some of my relations would balk at the $ 35 fee for the TG or other spot...on our wedding night!

Dwayne

I believe it's even more "interesting" than you think.

Do your "cheap relatives" realize they have to book an Aqua cabin

in order to eat there? Good luck with that.

Hey All,

We PAID for our relatives AQ...if not...they would not have come on the cruise (wedding). They are needed for the wedding , so.....;)

So that's what I'm dealing with.....

We are thinking things over.....

Your a Prince, good luck with the marriage and the trip.

I'm more confused than ever. So half the relatives that are coming are in AQ (Blu), but some are not. With that many people coming, is there no other family members/friends that could have your daughter bunk with them? (many cabins can take 3, either on the sofabed or the pull-out from the wall).

So half of this wedding party will eat in Blu every night, and half will not?

Edited by warmwinds

If I understand, everyone is in AQ, but now your daughter will cost the single supplement. It sounds like the absolute perfect "excuse" to downgrade everyone to basic cabins, except you, and have them all eat in the MDR. then, with the money saved, pay for TG that one night, and enjoy your dinners in Blu alone as newlyweds the rest of the cruise! :)

Edited by Gig103

Isn't there someone else who could be enticed to go along and share that cabin with your daughter, even a friend of hers? Or another relative that otherwise couldn't go? With the single supplement on the table, it would be pretty much paid for (excepting port taxes, gratuities, etc.) I should add that I give the OP a lot of credit for working all this out. Our daughter had a destination wedding in Aruba last year, and we are still sorting out the complications and hurt feelings with relatives who wouldn't go but spend freely on other vacations and purchases, those who wanted us to pay for everything, and so on. Not easy.

If I understand, everyone is in AQ, but now your daughter will cost the single supplement. It sounds like the absolute perfect "excuse" to downgrade everyone to basic cabins, except you, and have them all eat in the MDR. then, with the money saved, pay for TG that one night, and enjoy your dinners in Blu alone as newlyweds the rest of the cruise! :)

This sounds like a good idea since the OP is footing the bill for all the cabins.

As for booking the DD into a cabin alone, it cannot be done. One passenger in each cabin MUST be 21. The booking engine will deny anything that doesn't fit this. SO for those saying just book her where she'll be, you really cant unless you book one of the adults from cabin 1 into that cabin with her and then do the room key/swap/whatever. And yes, the child needs to be either across the hall or adjacent to the parents in order to allow the swap to occur on board.

Hi Dwayne:

What kind of food would your 16-year old like to eat? Why do you think that she would not enjoy the food in Blu?

Have you eaten in Blu before? The descriptions on the menus sometimes sound as if the food is a bit strange, but mostly it's just a bit fresher and lighter than the MDR offerings. And the presentation is beautiful. I'm sure your daughter would love the beautiful plates that some of the dishes are served on.

The staff in Blu are really accommodating, and I bet they would bend over backwards to make her happy. Other than the night when you are all hoping to dine together, it is only 3 other nights, and I'm sure they will do their utmost in Blu to make her happy.

Hey All (OP here)

This is certainly turning into an interesting read!! I'd love to get this kind of banter on my Bahama Diary post (see Honeymoon Cruises)!!

Yes...I am truly a wonderful person (for paying for some of my relatives and family)! :rolleyes:

I don't want to move everyone down a stateroom class (good idea, though).

I want my friends and family to experience the wonderful Celebrity cruise that we have been talking to them about...and this is the only way to do it.

For some of our older guests...this may be their last, big adventure..:(

I'm sure some of you can understand what we are trying to do...

Amerie, yes...Kelly and I have dined at Blu...we love it!!

This will shock some of you..but we are more concerned with "The Childs" safety than with her dining habits (at least I am). I am very old school...along the lines of.."You'll eat what's put in front of you"..her mother...well....:cool:

Not so much....

"The Child" will be fine. She will find something to eat (at Blu) or find something (later) at the buffet. As I tell her all the time..."You'll survive"....

I'm more concerned with where to put her?

Kel's mom called last night...asking 1,000 questions (we call her the Riddler) about the cruise. In the end...she commented that she could not afford it...and lamented about all the guilt she's feeling.....

Aaahhhh.....the joys of a wedding?!

Any way MIL will reconsider and go?

Were you going to pay for MIL's fare?

If yes, maybe pay for Kel's? (I assume she's the friend?). Since you'd have to pay double fare for your daughter if she's alone in an adjoining cabin (or whatever musical chairs you play with the cabins)...won't it be the same cost?

Kel's parents will say NO, we can't accept that, but couch it that they will be doing you such a HUGE favor...

Hey Warm winds...

Kel's the the wife-to-be....

Yes...we were going to pay for Kel's mom...still a no. She is just that type of person who is set in her ways. She is 73...and has only traveled once in her life (to SC). She says she just doesn't "do" this sort of thing.

We knew that going in...but wanted the chance for her to experience a bit more out of her life (she is retiring in Dec).

I find it a bit sad.....:(

D